October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
18 May 2021 17:53 - 18 May 2021 17:56 #323288 by Jexik
There’s a Japanese grocery store (called Mitsuwa) nearby with an attached food court. One spot has matcha soft serve which is a bit overpowering on its own but the vanilla twist with it is quite good. We usually go for the ramen at Santouka because it’s amazing.

There’s also a small local chain called Fanny’s Thai Rolled Ice Cream that is made in an interesting way and has fun mix-ins.

I tend to eat ice cream so fast that it’s kind of wasted on me. I used to have a self-imposed rule that I’d only eat ice cream if it’s on pie- because pie was such an infrequent occurrence. New girlfriend has a sweet tooth so that rule is kind of gone now.
Last edit: 18 May 2021 17:56 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2021 18:09 #323290 by Michael Barnes
I love that this thread has peaked with Uba’s revelation that you have all been had by Big Dairy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Cranberries, jason10mm, SteveK

More
18 May 2021 19:00 #323294 by Ah_Pook
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, san il defanso

More
18 May 2021 19:14 #323295 by dysjunct
I don’t know why you guys are getting mad at Barnes, when in a year he will sell you all his Neapolitan soft serve at bargain prices.

More
18 May 2021 19:18 #323296 by Michael Barnes
Actually I have half a carton in the freezer that was I was really into last weekend but now it is just sitting. $15 shipped.

More
18 May 2021 20:11 #323298 by hotseatgames
Finally a use for these gamer bowls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, themothman421, DarthJoJo, n815e

More
18 May 2021 20:29 #323301 by DarthJoJo
Typically there is no faster way for me to pass on a food if it’s labeled light or diet or zero calorie, but I’ll put in a good word for Halo Top ice cream. It’s a little harder than your typical pint, but they don’t skimp on taste and flavor. Just watch out for their keto line. It’s just a frozen dessert.

More
18 May 2021 20:40 #323302 by Michael Barnes
OK so I think now Team Hard Pack and The Soft Serve Gang need to unite against a common enemy- the Halo Toppers. YUCK.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, san il defanso, Ah_Pook

More
19 May 2021 07:20 - 19 May 2021 07:21 #323307 by Jexik
Played a little face to face gaming for the first time outside of family/SO. Our DM was busy, so the Zoom D&D group got together. We talked a lot and played some lighter games, which was perfectly fine.

Abandon All Artichokes was a cute twist on the ascension-style (single random deck, actions unlimited) deckbuilder, where you start with a deck of ten artichokes and win once you've composted (trashed) cards to the point that you draw a full hand of ‘good’ vegies at the end of your turn. Pretty fun, with a good amount of interaction. If nothing else, it might be a good training exercise in why Chapel is a good card.

Scooby Doo in betrayal at haunted mansion might actually be better than the original. It’s streamlined a bit and made shorter, which means it didn’t overstay its welcome.

Then we played Point Salad which is about as groundbreaking as the name suggests. On your turn you take two vegetables, or one card for how it scores on its back. There are three piles and the game is over once all cards are taken. I won handily by getting a bunch of carrots and cards that scored for carrots.
Last edit: 19 May 2021 07:21 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, DarthJoJo

More
19 May 2021 14:28 #323312 by the_jake_1973
Halo Top makes some damn fine flavors. I'll stan all day for HT. Bring on your hate, Barnes!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
19 May 2021 15:19 #323314 by Cranberries

ubarose wrote: All the ice cream for a region is made by the same one or two manufacturing and packaging facilities. I had a friend that owned a "craft" ice cram place. You contract with the manufacturer, and choose your fat content level, and the amount of air you want whipped in. There were a couple other choices you made, which I can't remember mostly having to do with quality vs price - like sweeteners, organic - but the primary ones where fat and air. Bingo you have you your own ice cream label.

Then, usually on a monthly basis, you order your flavorings and add-ins from a menu/price list. You could design your own flavors, or choose from some already designed ones. There were some quality/quantity levels involved with those as well (example: good, better, best chocolate chips; and number of chips per/some unit of measure). Sometimes he'd let me help choose/design the flavors for the month.

Also, the soft serve is a big money maker, because it is cheap garbage.

Although I live in Utah, which consumes more ice cream per capita than any of the lesser states, Salt and Straw in Portland, Oregon is pretty good, and there's a recipe book if you want to try your own. In my house we refer to Soft Serve as "symbolic food," something that exists because you need to go through the motions of eating but for whatever reason can't get to the real thing. I wonder what Baudrillard, would say about soft serve. If hyperreality is living in a simulation and not knowing it, then what do you call partaking of an obvious simulation with the knowledge that it isn't real?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
19 May 2021 17:02 #323322 by Dr. Mabuse
I now have to stop reading this thread as my lactose intolerance is kicking in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Cranberries, hotseatgames, n815e

More
19 May 2021 21:07 #323330 by ubarose
I feel for you Doc. My food allergies make eating ice cream a high risk proposition, so I have to settle for hoping I dream about eating ice cream.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Cranberries

More
20 May 2021 00:00 #323333 by Cranberries
If my wife has too much ice cream before bed she's up all night with diarrhea and sometimes vomiting. It reminds me of a story Brett Favre told about throwing up a vicodin before a game, picking it out of the vomit and washing it down. I went out and bought a small, cheap container of low end chocolate ice cream tonight because of this thread. The power of social marketing.

More
22 May 2021 17:10 #323390 by Michael Barnes
I’m pretty hooked on TMB now...it’s super addictive. It kind of reminds me of Roll Player in a way because really, building your character is such a central part of the game. There is of course a ton of decisions o the tactical battles, but it goes back to which decisions you make in the upgrades. I got a couple of the extra Skin Gremlins, it is really cool how completely unique each plays and then you’ve got the build options.

One thing I really like is that unlike many games of its type, the difficulty is consistently challenging but never capricious. It’s not a game where your win or loss is dependent on what you draw or anything like that. The dice mechanism where your fails go into a kind of power meter is pretty brilliant.

After some more plays of those Garphill games, I’ve let them all go on to new homes. They all play really well and have great solo modes. But after two game’s, there is nothing left to discover. I love the small boxes, they look good, and they are good games but I just don’t think they have dimension that warrants repeated plays. They feel very much designed to today’s market, where a solid play or two shows you all it’s got. They come across as very sturdy and well built but pretty soulless.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.960 seconds