MB
Michael Barnes
December 30, 2021
1208 0
O
oliverkinne
December 28, 2021
555 0
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
18 Aug 2021 11:13 #325779 by Ah_Pook

charlest wrote: Dice Throne - This surprised me. A friend bought all of the season one re-rolled stuff. Very enjoyable game that operates in the same realm as Unmatched, although this is a Yahtzee roll three times combat game with no minis. The asymmetry of each character is what's truly interesting.

Dungeon Breakout - This is the little dungeon crawler filler from the people that made Dungeon Degenerates. This is pretty bad. Completely waste of time.

My nephew loves Dice Throne so I've played a lot of it. I really think it benefitted from being a regularly priced/produced game rather than the ridiculous thing it is from season 2 onward. It's a light game about rolling dice at each other, I don't need each set to cost $120 and fill up an entire shelf. That being said, I do think it's a fun enough game. It's Yahtzee with instant cards etc, what's not to like. Hard for me to get too excited about it either, but I enjoy it when we play it.

Re Dungeon Breakout, this one was a big bummer. I thought it looked pretty bad during the Kickstarter tbh, but it was cheap and then I forgot to cancel my pledge before it ended. But yea, I was done with this halfway through the first game. Just a complete waste of time, and it didn't even come with any Dungeon Degenerates stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2021 11:17 #325780 by Jackwraith

charlest wrote: Dice Throne - This surprised me. A friend bought all of the season one re-rolled stuff. Very enjoyable game that operates in the same realm as Unmatched, although this is a Yahtzee roll three times combat game with no minis. The asymmetry of each character is what's truly interesting.

Have had my interest piqued by this one a couple times because I'm also a fan of the "different character gives whole new way to play" approach. But that also means a compulsion toward "Gotta collect'em all!" and I just don't want that these days with my more limited gaming time. I'll end up feeling like I have with other games: a growing pile of stuff that will rarely, if ever, see daylight. Still intrigued, though.

charlest wrote: Tsukuyumi (2nd edition) - I'm hesitant to give thoughts on this game because I have a signed design with Grey Fox Games (it's been delayed so many times I'm not confident it will ever get published), so keep that conflict of interest in mind here.

Is this Tsukuyumi: Full Moon Down? I confess to only having heard about it in passing once a couple years ago and it does look there's an entire string of expansions and a 2nd edition and whatnot.

charlest wrote: Tyrants of the Underdark - I received a review copy of the new edition from GF9. It removes the plastic shields/spies for tokens and includes the two expansion half decks. It's also in a smaller box.

I'm still extremely fond of Tyrants. I can understand the feeling that you expected something more visceral, but mechanically it's always worked well for me. My lone complaint was the art styling where EVERYTHING had to be a shade of blue, black, or gray. Glad to know they reprinted with the two expansion half-decks.

More
18 Aug 2021 11:24 - 18 Aug 2021 11:27 #325782 by Ah_Pook

Jackwraith wrote:

Have had my interest piqued by this one a couple times because I'm also a fan of the "different character gives whole new way to play" approach. But that also means a compulsion toward "Gotta collect'em all!" and I just don't want that these days with my more limited gaming time. I'll end up feeling like I have with other games: a growing pile of stuff that will rarely, if ever, see daylight. Still intrigued, though.

See if you can track down a cheap copy of the original release of season 1. It's 6 characters in one box, and will get you all of the game you need.

Edit: also, the asymmetry is basically getting different tokens to do stuff depending on your character. You're playing Yahtzee and punching the other guy with your die rolls 90%, with a frisson of different stuff for each character giving it some fun flavor.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2021 11:27 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, sornars

More
18 Aug 2021 11:26 #325783 by hotseatgames
Hate to be a parade rainer, but I played season 1 of Dice Throne one night. We played 3 matches in a row, trying different characters. I won all three matches, and it could not have been more boring. Just nothing there for me to find interesting. The affection shown to this game is mystifying to me.

More
18 Aug 2021 11:34 #325785 by charlest
Yes, Tsukuyumi: Full Moon Down 2nd edition Jackwraith. The re-released of the original Tsukuyumi with minis.

That surprised me Mark. I don't think it's amazing, but I liked upgrading abilities, dealing with the different effects, even the counters were interesting.

My expectations aren't extraordinarily high, it takes like 10 minutes to play. Maybe that's why I'm being more forgiving.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
18 Aug 2021 11:40 #325786 by hotseatgames
Maybe it was my opponent. It's been a long time so I don't remember too many details, but I seem to recall that every play was extremely obvious.

More
18 Aug 2021 12:04 #325789 by charlest
Curious, do you like King of Tokyo?

It's kind of King of Tokyo with more asymmetry (beyond even that of Power Up!) and faster.

More
18 Aug 2021 15:35 - 18 Aug 2021 15:36 #325800 by hotseatgames
I liked King of Tokyo when it came out. It saw a lot of table time, including with the Power Up expansion. Then I got bored of it and sold it off.

I had a personal rule that I would never attempt to win via victory points. Not my Kaiju.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2021 15:36 by hotseatgames.

More
18 Aug 2021 22:50 #325819 by DarthJoJo
Fox in the Forest Duet is cooking my wife’s noodle. Her terrible curse is to be a very competitive woman and to hate the way she acts when she’s losing. Our compromise is to play cooperative games. She may still be tempted to cheat but at least it’s to beat the game, not me.

Unfortunately, Duet uses the common tongue of trick taking games. She does not enjoy allowing me to win tricks. I can see the struggle inside her when we have no more gems on her side of the path. It’s great.

And so is the game. We won in the second round of our second game after losing by a single gem in our first. We could still use some of the special abilities better but may need to bump up the difficulty soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, sornars

More
18 Aug 2021 23:27 #325820 by Gary Sax

DarthJoJo wrote: Fox in the Forest Duet is cooking my wife’s noodle. Her terrible curse is to be a very competitive woman and to hate the way she acts when she’s losing. Our compromise is to play cooperative games. She may still be tempted to cheat but at least it’s to beat the game, not me.

This is absolutely my household.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
18 Aug 2021 23:56 #325821 by mc

charlest wrote:
Rhino Hero Super Battle - Still great.

I always found that the construction is too stable, the risk of collapse too low. We houseruled

- only ever play on the hard side
- no hands, you draw and have to play
- bumping a monkey means you put it on again and draw and play again (but only one dice roll).
- (a bit dodgy this one) it is okay to attempt to try and trap people, but the table has to agree that it is theoretically possible to reach in and get the sucker out if they have to move.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
19 Aug 2021 05:06 #325826 by mezike
At the club:

My first play of Pictures, last year's SDJ winner, which is really fun and very social. Each player is given a secret reference to a picture card in a 4x4 grid and has to use a random bundle of items to reflect that image as best as possible; try to guess everybody's picture card and score points for each one you are correct on and for each player who correctly identifies yours in turn. The fun comes from the items that you have - a small bundle of sticks and stones in one bag, some wooden blocks in another, a 3x3 pixel art grid, some shoelaces, and a deck of cards with clipart. You pass these around at the end of each turn so that everybody gets to fumble around with each set. Finding inventive and expressive ways to represent your image with these rudimentary components can be somewhat testing and much hilarity ensues as a result; unusual, different, definitely worth a go if you enjoy this kind of light interactive/party style experience.

Five player Oath with four newbies, oh my. When I suggested playing this I didn't expect it to be so popular and was a little concerned about how it would work and if it would massively overrun on time, but it all went super smooth. I acted as Chancellor on a Supremacy Oath and had a first-turn pie-face experience rolling four skulls on an attempt to subjugate two bandit lands. I also ended up stuck out in the Hinterlands on the River, replenishing my forces and searching for some useful advisors, which wasn't the best place to remain agile.

One Exile nabbed the Oathkeeper and another opened up the people's favour Vision with six coins on the banner so I made an offer of citizenship that added two lands and a horde of troops to my board, allowing me to put a stop to both threats. But now I had a third front to fight as my citizen had two relics and was on the verge of becoming successor with little effort. The first end-of-the-world dice roll failed so I decided to take the initiative on relics and attacked the fifth player, who was somewhat adrift and largely out of the running, for his Sticky Fire. This incensed him to a degree that he then made a pact with the Citizen using a binding deal location to collect and hand over two relics to him in return for an alliance into the next game. At the same time the player with the People's Favour vision had rebuilt his favour pool and managed to swipe the banner back. I was unable to fight against both as the jackass Citizen had mustered warbands and I did not have enough supply to fight off more than one antagonist; so out of spite I refused to deal with either of them and instead dusted up the Citizen's lickspittle, banishing him back to the royal court that would soon be lost to the banner holder, murdering his last few followers with the Sticky Fire that I stole from him. Great game with some good twists and power swings, five really opens up the negotiation space I think as there is guaranteed to be some factions created as it's impossible to fight on so many different fronts at once.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax, Jackwraith, sornars, charlest, Nodens, DarthJoJo, repairmanjack

More
19 Aug 2021 14:06 #325836 by charlest

mc wrote:

charlest wrote:
Rhino Hero Super Battle - Still great.

I always found that the construction is too stable, the risk of collapse too low. We houseruled

- only ever play on the hard side
- no hands, you draw and have to play
- bumping a monkey means you put it on again and draw and play again (but only one dice roll).
- (a bit dodgy this one) it is okay to attempt to try and trap people, but the table has to agree that it is theoretically possible to reach in and get the sucker out if they have to move.

Do you play the rules strict where a floor tile cannot overlap another floor tile?

I say this because there are quite a few that require you to place a floor with a single supporting wall/column. Stack one or two of those up and things get janky fast since you can't lean half of the floor onto another structure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mc

More
19 Aug 2021 17:27 #325838 by mc
holy crap no we don't. that explains a hell of a lot.

More
19 Aug 2021 19:43 #325840 by charlest
It's kind of poorly worded in the rules but it's in there. I think a lot of people kind of ignore it or gloss over it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.761 seconds