October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
21 Apr 2022 09:18 #332432 by n815e
I haven’t played that game since the 90s, but it was one of our go-to games for a long time and we had all of the expansions.

We discovered that the longer the race, the less interesting it was. It was best if you places the checkpoints so that the bots had to potentially keep crossing paths. More confined spaces were usually better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Gregarius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2022 09:31 #332433 by Michael Barnes
Have you played or given any thought to Summoner Wars 2e? I remember you liking it the first time around, but a lot has changed since then.

I did like it a lot, I was one of the earliest proponents of the game - they used to send me everything released for it. But I have not played the new version…just sent off an email to see if I can get a review copy, if so I’ll write it up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
21 Apr 2022 10:44 #332440 by Legomancer

Jexik wrote: I like it best with 1 board.

We played with 2 boards and 3 checkpoints. Flag 1 was on board one, Flag 2 on board 2, and Flag 3 back on the border of the boards, so you had to cross. Only three players, so not as much mayhem as one would like, but the game didn't drag, people got shot and pushed, and people messed up their programming. Good clean fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
21 Apr 2022 11:09 #332443 by Shellhead
Less is definitely more with RoboRally. The game was great with just the base set and reasonable board set ups. Then people started adding in expansions and setting up ridiculous courses, dragging out the length of the game until all fun evaporated. Under any circumstances, the game plays better with a short sand timer to encourage quick and impulsive play. I haven't played in nearly 20 years.

I took a chance and bought RoboRally for my dad. He got me hooked on Acquire and board games in general when I was a kid, so I thought that he might like it. We were going to play a four-player game with my sister and her boyfriend, but two turns in, my dad was just not getting it or else playing dumb because he didn't like it, so we put it away and got out Acquire. It's possible that he really just wanted to play Acquire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Gregarius

More
21 Apr 2022 11:13 #332444 by Rliyen

Legomancer wrote: I played RoboRally last night and although I despise it when nerds say that if you don't like something you hate joy and fun, if you don't like RoboRally then you hate joy and fun.

Can I subscribe to your newsletter? I hate joy and fun, too.

More
21 Apr 2022 11:39 #332445 by Msample
ROBORALLY is fairly polarizing; I rather enjoy it but have a hard time bringing it to the table.

More
21 Apr 2022 11:54 #332446 by Ah_Pook
The newest version of RR with the glitch cards you put into your deck is quite good, though if memory serves it needed some house rules on some stuff that the publisher messed with before putting it out (?). I love RR but yea it's definitely a love/hate kind of game. And it's very easy to set up a miserable game by messing up the track.

More
21 Apr 2022 12:10 #332448 by Jexik
A lot of the best games are polarizing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
21 Apr 2022 16:23 #332461 by RobertB
The two times I played RR, it collapsed under the weight of too much AP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
21 Apr 2022 16:33 #332462 by Nodens
Shameless plug, feel free to delete: a small(ish) bunch of people is playing a clone of RR over at roboracer.net . Newcomers are always welcome, you can make moves in your active games in a couple of seconds, most people check in once a day.
So no AP and the size of the boards varies from tiny to huge, as does the number of players. There are puzzles as well :-)

More
21 Apr 2022 16:55 #332464 by Shellhead

RobertB wrote: The two times I played RR, it collapsed under the weight of too much AP.

Seriously, a short sand timer really improves this game. Also, don't play games with AP players. They always murder the fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Msample, Gregarius

More
21 Apr 2022 17:27 #332465 by Sagrilarus
I thought there was a timer in the game, that starts when the first person finishes setting cards. Is that another game?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
21 Apr 2022 17:49 #332466 by Shellhead

Sagrilarus wrote: I thought there was a timer in the game, that starts when the first person finishes setting cards. Is that another game?

RoboRally didn't include a timer when I used to play it back in the late '90s, but apparently later editions included a timer.

More
21 Apr 2022 17:57 #332467 by Sagrilarus
The timer is most of the fun. Slam some cards in place to force other players into random moves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
21 Apr 2022 19:51 - 21 Apr 2022 19:57 #332468 by mc

Sagrilarus wrote: I thought there was a timer in the game, that starts when the first person finishes setting cards. Is that another game?

I think Galaxy Trucker does this.

My second hand copy of RR came without a timer (although it was listed in the components).

Agreed with the comments about keeping it tight. One of our most chaotic ways to play involves using that board with the concentric conveyer belts and we put one flag on the belt so it is moving every turn, and call it the snitch. I think we have a simple rule for where it appears when it flows off the board. Then we play with 2 robots, each and you have to nominate which one is going for the flag and which one is running interference, i.e., seeker and.... bludger? Whatever the quidditch terms are, I forget. Madness.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2022 19:57 by mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.391 seconds