October 14, 2022
637 0

Recollect Board Game Review

Board Game Reviews
A
adamr
October 12, 2022
1340 0
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
24 Sep 2022 15:48 - 24 Sep 2022 15:50 #335719 by charlest
I mentioned it awhile ago when we discussed it, but I prefer the original. I do enjoy Lockdown and would think it spectacular if the OG was never created.

I think you're not quite right about there being a lack of mistrust, however. The contingencies interlock with the player Elimination objectives in a way which encourages secrecy. In my experience, determining what contingencies are known is a big part of play.

But I prefer the original because all of the added stuff doesn't really produce an experience that is stronger for me. Managing power, the elevator, computers, none of that does much for me.

The backside surface board is even more rough in terms of new rules and the manual is poor in explaining it.

I also strictly prefer the original engines/destination dilemma as opposed to the contingency system.

Finally, the original characters having two quest items is more interesting to me. It offers two optional objectives instead of just one.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2022 15:50 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax, Msample, Kmann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2022 15:57 #335720 by mads b.
I agree about all of that - espcially about how some of the added things just add rules overhead and not a lot of extra game. I do like the darkness part of the event and attack cards, but that require all the power stuff which feels unimportant because it's not tied to objectives.

Contingencies can be important, but I think mostly if you have objectives that are about killing other players. I like the idea of the contingencies and that they can force you to do stuff you might not want to. But I don't think they add as much as the original motor/destination setup did.

Also, having the hibernation chamber in the middle of the board meant that more of the game too place in pretty close proximity. The new board feels huge in a way the old one didn't, and that in turn makes the game feel a lot longer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, charlest

More
25 Sep 2022 11:08 #335722 by hotseatgames
I enjoy both games, and while there is a lot of overlap, I don't dislike having both of them. The first game is obviously a bit simpler, but I really enjoy the contingency aspect of Lockdown. I have yet to try out the Carnomorphs or the Chytrids, or whatever they are called.

Getting people together has proved to be difficult lately.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Msample

More
25 Sep 2022 13:18 #335723 by Msample
I like both games; I have not played the original NEMESIS since LOCKDOWN came out. I really like the Power mechanic in LOCKDOWN. It adds a sort of community objective of sorts. Sure its not an actual objective, but if the whole place goes dark, I am pretty sure you're all gonna lose.

I have played with the Chytids. In short they are a sort of low attack but spreading type of alien; they spread via spores/cubes throughout the ship and if you run out of one of the figure types you lose. They are not hard to kill, but doing so eats up precious actions . Kind of reminds me of the protomolecule in THE EXPANSE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., hotseatgames

More
25 Sep 2022 16:10 #335724 by mads b.
Your comments make me think that I should maybe try it one more time before selling it. And I do want to try the spore aliens.

More
26 Sep 2022 08:02 #335727 by stormseeker75
My wife and I played Hex Rollers last night which is a fun and very simple roll-and-write. Good enough for a filler.

More
26 Sep 2022 17:51 #335756 by dysjunct
IN A GROVE. What a dumb name. It’s a little deduction and bluffing game from Oink, in their typical tiny form factor box. Cute, fun, and short, like I like my partners of unspecified gender. Arguably overproduced with a bunch of plastic when you could do it with cards and chits just as easily. Anyway, you are a bunch of loser detectives trying not to be the biggest loser. You have seven people with the numbers 2-8. Three of them are murder suspects. You get to see two of the suspects, plus two others. The suspect with the biggest number is the murderer, UNLESS the #5 is one of the suspects, in which case the smallest number is the murderer. You play the odds, and you can also guess based on what the other players put down their Accusation Markers on. If you guess wrong, you get “inept tokens,” which is a mechanic more games need.

DRAFTOSAURUS. Also cute, fun, and short. Draft dino-meeples, place in your Jurassic Park. Lacks the ability to devour tourists, otherwise good.

GHOSTS OF CHRISTMAS. A little trick taker with some fun twists. In most trick-taking games, someone leads, then you have to follow suit if possible, highest card of suit led wins, unless someone trumps. But in this, you are playing to three tricks simultaneously (past, present, and future, of course). There’s components to track which suit was led, but the suit led is only the winning suit in the past trick. The person who won the past trick, whatever suit they have in the present trick is the winning suit (unless trumped) and ditto for the future trick. There’s bidding, with a hedging mechanism — if you bid exactly then you get 2x your bid in points, or you can give yourself +/-1 and only get 1x your bid. Clever, tricky, recommended.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718, DarthJoJo

More
26 Sep 2022 21:41 - 26 Sep 2022 21:43 #335762 by Ah_Pook
i picked up World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King aka WoW Pandemic on the cheap on clearance at Target and played a few games of it today. seems real solid, if you like that style of coop game. probably wont change your mind if you dont like that style of coop game. it pulls in some fun stuff from Cthulhu Pandemic (the wandering big bads that are summoned by outbreaks, mainly) without being quite as punishingly random as that game tended to be in my experience. decoupling the cards from zones on the board is a nice change. now all the cards are playable for effects (free travel, +hits in combat, damage mitigation, and free healing), but also you can play the cards into quests that you need to complete to win. so youre balancing what you need on the board vs what you would like to keep in your hand for efficient questing in a fun way. plus if multiple heroes are on a quest space they can contribute cards off turn, but then theyre not out on the board putting out fires so thats a fun balancing act too. all in all, a nice iteration on the formula and i think well worth the ~$17 its on clearance for atm.
Last edit: 26 Sep 2022 21:43 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, BillyBobThwarton, DarthJoJo, Virabhadra

More
26 Sep 2022 22:40 #335763 by Jackwraith
Taught Jaws to my Monday night group. They really liked Pan Am last week and this one was also a hit, which gave me the chance to extoll the virtues of Prospero/Funko Hall as one of the best game studios currently in operation. I played the Shark, of course, and I did OK in part I, as I was able to devour 7 swimmers before getting my second barrel, which gave me 7 power cards and limited the crew to 6 extra pieces of gear. But they did get two buckets of chum and the tranq spear, which they stabbed me with on the turn I had a Resurface card that gave me 3 dice and in which I used my reroll ability card, which was a huge blow. But I also had miserable luck with the dice beforehand, which is why I was using the reroll on that card, as I didn't actually damage the boat for the first three(!) rounds of part 2. But the thing that got me was the flare, which burned me for at least 1 wound and twice for 2 wounds over the next five rounds, in which I saw only one Shake Off symbol on my Resurface cards. So, quite anti-climactic for the shark, but it was still a good time and had all of them commenting on how smart Prospero Hall's games are and how suffused with theme they all manage to be. They're just great stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Rliyen, Msample, lj1983, stormseeker75, hotseatgames, sornars, charlest, Gregarius, DarthJoJo

More
28 Sep 2022 22:06 #335799 by Michael Barnes
WOW Wrath of the Lich King is one of the most soulless, empty husks of a game I've ever played. Just to offer a counterpoint to Pook's take. I actually returned it to Target.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, fightcitymayor, Erik Twice

More
29 Sep 2022 10:59 #335805 by fightcitymayor

Michael Barnes wrote: WOW Wrath of the Lich King is one of the most soulless, empty husks of a game I've ever played. Just to offer a counterpoint to Pook's take. I actually returned it to Target.

I've always found Pandemic to be sooooo mechanical, but I managed to get the Cthulhu version fairly cheap at one point, thinking "Okay, this at least has some theme, let's try it out." But I couldn't even get into it there. Collecting colored cards & hoping badguys don't spawn near you (or if you spawn all the bigbads then you lose), it just didn't click for me. No matter how they re-theme it, there is like no immersion there at all. IMHO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Rliyen, Gary Sax

More
29 Sep 2022 12:37 #335810 by Shellhead

fightcitymayor wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: WOW Wrath of the Lich King is one of the most soulless, empty husks of a game I've ever played. Just to offer a counterpoint to Pook's take. I actually returned it to Target.

I've always found Pandemic to be sooooo mechanical, but I managed to get the Cthulhu version fairly cheap at one point, thinking "Okay, this at least has some theme, let's try it out." But I couldn't even get into it there. Collecting colored cards & hoping badguys don't spawn near you (or if you spawn all the bigbads then you lose), it just didn't click for me. No matter how they re-theme it, there is like no immersion there at all. IMHO.

I completely agree. I played vanilla Pandemic once and found it to be dry and mechanical. Everybody else at the table wanted to play again, so I sat out the second game and just watched a repeat of a dry and mechanical experience. A few years ago, I played one game of Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu. I wanted to like it, but it was only slightly more interesting than regular Pandemic, and still fairly lacking in theme compared to most Mythos-inspired board games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, fightcitymayor

More
29 Sep 2022 14:43 - 29 Sep 2022 14:44 #335816 by Ah_Pook

Do you like pandemic? If so, what don't you like about WoW Pandemic? If not... I mean realistically what are you expecting from a licensed spinoff of a game you don't like...
Last edit: 29 Sep 2022 14:44 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, Jexik

More
29 Sep 2022 22:12 #335826 by Greg Aleknevicus
Ticket to Ride on BoardGameArena is great! I'm especially surprised at how well it works as a 2-player game (I had never played it that way before.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
29 Sep 2022 23:57 #335827 by RobertB

Greg Aleknevicus wrote: Ticket to Ride on BoardGameArena is great! I'm especially surprised at how well it works as a 2-player game (I had never played it that way before.)

In 2P you can play it nice, or not so nice.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.767 seconds