October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
14 Nov 2022 22:45 - 14 Nov 2022 22:46 #336811 by Jexik
As I've been mentioning over and over, I've gone back to playing Magic (Commander). My pet deck uses these two:

It's like somewhere between a solitaire Euro and a Rube Goldberg machine in card form. It's goofy as hell and I (and most players around me seem to) love it.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2022 22:46 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2022 13:13 - 15 Nov 2022 13:15 #336817 by Virabhadra

Michael Barnes wrote: WTF that copy of Schlact der Dinosaurier just casually laying there!

The game is where it belongs:

Not the best place for the box, admittedly.

I tracked that copy down last month and after our first game Des demanded that we play it 9 more times before New Year's. My 10x10 resolution this year faded into a distant memory around the same time we started weekly Warcry games, so it was fun to look at my 2022 Dimes thus far.

1) Warcry
2) Yomi
3) Puzzle Strike
4) Street Masters
5) Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom
6) Die Schlacht Der Dinosaurier

I'm a few plays away from adding D&D Attack Wing, WQ: Silver Tower, and Camp Grizzly, but that last title will be a wild card. Maybe I'll play 6 more games of Anachrony? Maybe I'll bring Tumblin Dice to Thanksgiving.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2022 13:15 by Virabhadra.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, sornars, Gregarius, Ah_Pook, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
16 Nov 2022 08:56 #336840 by Ah_Pook
My dad talked me into buying the new version of Clash of Cultures and went halfsies on it, so we've been playing that a bunch recently since he's all fired up about it. We've just been playing the base game stuff per his preference, but im happy to play it however yknow. Nerfing Education/ Democracy really opened up the game imo. I was never great at CoC but that line gave you so much free stuff in the old version of seemed really hard to compete with. Tons of other tweaks to the tech tree and rules really elevate an already solid fun game overall imo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, Gregarius, DarthJoJo, n815e

More
16 Nov 2022 09:49 #336843 by n815e
On a whim I picked up Clone Wars. I’ve never played Pandemic, before. I keep meaning to check out Fall of Rome, but it’s not a need.

I played it two handed, found it super easy until I realized I was doing it wrong. Afterwards, it was more of a challenge and decently enjoyable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
16 Nov 2022 11:33 #336853 by Ah_Pook
Was curious about my 10xs for 2022 thus far

Marvel Champions: The Card Game 43
Aeon's End 28
51st State: Master Set 25
Ark Nova 17
SolForge Fusion 15
Star Realms 12
The Guild of Merchant Explorers 10

I'm predicting Solforge to end up significantly higher, and Clash of Cultures to maybe make it.

More
16 Nov 2022 13:30 - 16 Nov 2022 13:43 #336857 by Sagrilarus

Ah_Pook wrote: Was curious about my 10xs for 2022 thus far

Aeon's End 28
Ark Nova 17
SolForge Fusion 15
Star Realms 12

I'm predicting Solforge to end up significantly higher, and Clash of Cultures to maybe make it.

Don't listen to our Ark Nova episode.

I'm interested in why you went after 51st State instead of the new one with the cultures . . . whose name I am drawing a blank on. Imperial Settlers! I really liked 51st State but my buddy traded it away for Imperial Settlers instead, which I'd like to take another shot at as well.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2022 13:43 by Sagrilarus.

More
16 Nov 2022 14:14 #336858 by Msample
I on the other hand am looking forward to the ARK NOVA episode.

More
16 Nov 2022 15:12 - 16 Nov 2022 15:13 #336865 by Ah_Pook

Sagrilarus wrote:

Ah_Pook wrote: Was curious about my 10xs for 2022 thus far

Aeon's End 28
Ark Nova 17
SolForge Fusion 15
Star Realms 12

Don't listen to our Ark Nova episode.

I'm interested in why you went after 51st State instead of the new one with the cultures . . . whose name I am drawing a blank on. Imperial Settlers! I really liked 51st State but my buddy traded it away for Imperial Settlers instead, which I'd like to take another shot at as well.

I'm able to enjoy a game while other people don't enjoy a game without taking it personally ;) Ark Nova certainly has things I can easily see people not digging, but I personally really like it. Plus it's hyped to high heaven so I don't think I need to rush to it's defense or anything :laugh:

My understanding is 51st State Master Set came out after Imperial Settlers and folded some of the rules changes etc from IS back into 51st State. Mainly I got it because my interest was piqued when the new version was on Gamefound so I made some trade offers for it. Got a really good trade offer, and then it also had all the OOP expansion stuff thrown in unadvertised too. Without having played IS, I like the post apocalyptic theme/art and the fact that everyone plays from the central deck rather than having faction specific decks. I'm sure IS is cool too though, it's just a really fun system. Plus my dad got really into 51st state after I got it, so we've been racking up a lot of plays during our weekly "hang out, drink coffee, play boardgames" mornings.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2022 15:13 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
16 Nov 2022 15:25 #336868 by Sagrilarus
Yeah, I'm kinda thinking "asymmetry" has run its course for me. All pulling from the same deck just feels more right to me somehow. And the "I get to learn the game new all over again" aspect of playing a different team isn't something that calls out me.

Alas, "my" copy of 51st State got traded away by its rightful owner. So I likely won't get another bite at it.

More
16 Nov 2022 15:44 - 16 Nov 2022 15:56 #336869 by Ah_Pook
Heavily asymmetric games are just hard unless you have a dedicated group that wants to play a specific one a lot. I like 51st State's level of asymmetry just fine. Each faction produces 1 different resource, and trades resources for things at different rates. So you're incentivised to look for different stuff that works with what your faction likes but everyone is still playing basically the same game y'know.

And the ridiculously huge expensive new version of 51st State will be out early next year, if you for some reason want a massive oversized box that costs a hundred dollars ;)
Last edit: 16 Nov 2022 15:56 by Ah_Pook.

More
18 Nov 2022 14:03 #336899 by Virabhadra

Never tell me the odds!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, san il defanso

More
20 Nov 2022 17:00 #336912 by Jackwraith
Played our first two games of The Mirroring of Mary King today. The ghost won the first game when I, as Mary, wasn't able to draw enough to fill my hand back to 5 on Friday. We made one mistake in that we both revealed our Ideas at the start of the round, rather than the start of our respective turns like it's supposed to work. That enabled the ghost to buy a Force of Will from my Ideas that turned a whole row and it was an area control chain/discard that I just couldn't recover from as the days progressed and the number of control cards to play became smaller.

Then we swapped roles, with my partner thinking that the player who goes first (the ghost) has the advantage. But the second game was much closer, when I was able to make her Forget a Force of Will that she tried to play on me and then was able to steal a Subterfuge to advance the turn counter to Friday, knowing that the one Control card she could play on the last day likely wouldn't be sufficient to change the board to threaten my lead. She had 3 cards left in her Mind and controlled enough tiles for a +4 bonus, while I had 7 left in my Mind and enough tiles for a +2 bonus, giving me the win, 9-7. She still thinks the ghost has the edge because she goes first. I told her that it might be a slight advantage, like white in chess, but I think the ability for the ghost to run out to a sizable lead but an inability to protect it might be where the balance comes in. And, despite me going first, the second game was razor close, which is what you want out of most games. Another great effort, Jim. Thanks.

More
21 Nov 2022 08:59 #336916 by Sagrilarus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, sornars, Erik Twice, Cappster_

More
23 Nov 2022 16:13 - 23 Nov 2022 16:14 #336976 by Sagrilarus
Mosaic. Don't know if anyone has spoken to this one yet. I've played twice now.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2022 16:14 by Sagrilarus.

More
23 Nov 2022 16:44 #336977 by Shellhead
Is Mosaic that bad? Just another flavorless point salad? Or are you saving the juicy details for a future episode?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.028 seconds