October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
26 Dec 2015 08:33 #218240 by ThirstyMan
I'll be making sure that I get you a trucking game and make you play it.

Obviously, the first thing that people want to do on Christmas Day is play a fucking game all about their job when they are on holiday from their job.

Good call.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2015 08:57 #218242 by Black Barney
Lol, that reminds me of a good on the spot joke I made yesterday. I go to xmas dinner at my aunt and uncles and there's this elderly priest sitting in the barcolounger. They introduce me to father McRory and I notice he's watching a church service on TV. I immediately say, "hi Father, hey do you like watching work on your time off ? It would be like if I watched an insurance company on TV where people don't really do anything "

...hmmm..it was funny at the moment. Maybe it was the Bailey's...
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

More
26 Dec 2015 09:43 #218244 by repoman
Andrew, why so sour? If you actually read what I wrote you would notice that word "volunteer" in there. It is not what they do for a living. It's what they do for excitement and to help out the community. It'd be like if I got you a game about drinking as much alcohol as possible. Sure you do that in the hopes of showing the community just how much abuse and debauchery a human body can take but you might like a game about it too.

Now stop trying to be mean and get back to losing our ASL game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
26 Dec 2015 12:41 - 27 Dec 2015 14:33 #218254 by Cranberries
We tried a game of Can't Stop and the kids got bored and quit when dinner was served.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2015 14:33 by Cranberries.

More
26 Dec 2015 17:21 #218265 by Josh Look
My brother in-law always likes playing games, so we dedicated Christmas night to doing so.

First we played Evolution with my wife. This was their first time and they seemed to really enjoy it. They held their own against me and my brother in-law ended up winning, 75 to my 73 and my wife's 66. Very close game.

My brother, his girlfriend, and my brother in-law's girl friend came over as the night went on so we broke out my new copy of Mysterium. Holy Moley is this a cool game. It has more than a fair share of Dixit in it, making it into a vastly more satisfying game and has an awesome, unique theme (psychics holding a seance to communicate with a ghost, trying to figure out who murdered them, where and with what). I played the ghost first, an experience that manages to be as fun as playing Dracula in FoD but in a co-op environment. The group almost won and everyone immediately demanded to reset it and play it again. My wife played the ghost the second time around, still didn't win. This was on "easy mode." Everyone at the table absolutely _LOVED_ this game, myself included. It completely bypasses the AI feature of co-ops and manages to be 100% free of the faults I typically have with them.

Speaking of co-ops, I played 2 games of Warhammer Quest ACG this morning. Both games the first quest, but with 2 heroes in one, the other 2 in the second. It's quite good. I always like the feeling of teamwork in a co-op, something that manages to not be baked into the design, and this game has it in spades. Better than Death Angel? Maybe. Probably. I lost both games. I'll be back at it soon enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, aaxiom

More
27 Dec 2015 01:18 #218287 by SuperflyPete
I dunno, Andy, I really like to play Mine a Million...and I'm in the refining business...

More
27 Dec 2015 01:35 #218289 by Space Ghost
Mysterium is a great game -- we are going to be playing it some more this week.

More
27 Dec 2015 23:52 - 27 Dec 2015 23:54 #218346 by Gary Sax
I bought Pandemic Legacy for my wife for xmas, since Pandemic is her favorite game. We played our first game of the campaign this evening, it was great. Looking forward to playing through the rest. As I think I've mentioned here before I think Pandemic is a really well designed game but it sort of leaves me cold these days. The Legacy bits add a nice splash of unique stuff into it to grab my attention.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2015 23:54 by Gary Sax.

More
28 Dec 2015 09:11 #218356 by metalface13

craniac wrote: We tried a game of Can't Stop and the kids got bored and quit when dinner was served.

I'm almost speechless. The thought of anyone being bored during Can't Stop just sends me into a spiral of confusion. That and lack of sleep, that will do it too.

More
28 Dec 2015 09:13 #218357 by metalface13
I played a couple of games of good old fashioned Catan this weekend. I guess it's not "Settlers of" anymore, but that's OK. Still a fun game, though I never really played it all that much during it's heyday.

More
28 Dec 2015 09:29 #218360 by Shellhead
Back-to-back slasher games yesterday, with five players.

Camp Grizzly was great, except that I accidentally left out a crucial piece representing the keys. We played hard but escape was impossible without the keys, and then we lost in final battle at the campfire.

Finally got to play Psycho Raiders. First game was a short learning experience, as we missed a couple of key rules, like the ability to fire the flamethrower from a moving van. The campers went off-road early on, and cleverly maneuvered to avoid getting rammed. The raiders tried to stick to the road and get ahead of them, but Spud kept driving into the ditch. The second game was much better, with Joey and most of the townspeople getting involved. Ginger got decapitated, Randy got beaten badly, but Dawn managed to sneak away in the woods near the graveyard. No sinister townfolk in either game. I burned a two-disc soundtrack made up entirely of '70s music, almost entirely from the top forty of 1977 and 1978, and that added to the experience. I also made cards for hiding, drawing sinister townsfolk, and for each of the once per game abilities, and those came in handy as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

More
28 Dec 2015 09:40 #218362 by Sagrilarus

metalface13 wrote:

craniac wrote: We tried a game of Can't Stop and the kids got bored and quit when dinner was served.

I'm almost speechless. The thought of anyone being bored during Can't Stop just sends me into a spiral of confusion. That and lack of sleep, that will do it too.

My kids didn't like it either, found it boring.

More
28 Dec 2015 09:59 #218365 by Gary Sax

Shellhead wrote: as we missed a couple of key rules, like the ability to fire the flamethrower from a moving van.

Just this. That's all that we need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar

More
28 Dec 2015 10:09 - 28 Dec 2015 10:19 #218366 by Egg Shen
Was on vacation last week, but didn't get much stuff played. Too busy running around getting stuff done for Xmas and all that. So this is mostly what I played in December:

Runebound 3rd Edition - I'm still playing this one every now and then. I think I can safely say at this point that I like it, but don't love it. The game out of the box is hands down a better design than Runebound 2nd Edition...but I don't know if it's more fun. I'm not sure if that's because 2nd Edition got a bunch of cool expansions or not, but it's what my gut is telling me. Still, I'm very excited to see where FFG goes with this game. The design seems very easy to plug in different modules for expansions and I have high hopes for the future of the product. My favorite moment so far was when the big bad red dragon was one space away from the Capitol City...about to end the game and engulf the world in ash and flames. I got one final piece of gear needed to take down the beast. So I engaged it in battle. After some back and forth we were down to our final threads of life. It all came down to an initiative cast of the tokens. Both sets of tokens were splashed across the table and I had looked down to see all the icons I needed for victory. My old wizard character lifted his newly purchased Cursed Mirror above his head and unleashed the dead angry souls of previously defeated enemies. They lurched toward the dragon and sucked out every last remnant of it's wretched soul. All the spirits then reentered the mirror which then needed to be hidden away forever. And that is a tale for another time.

Warhammer Quest The Adventure Card Game - Yep...what you've all been reading about this game is true. This game is a winner. Lots of clever little things in this design and it's very fun to play. I love how each character feels different and how despite it being a card game, evokes the feeling of a dungeon crawl. If you're still holding onto Pathfinder The Adventure Card Game for some reason, you can safely get rid of that. Warhammer Quest is better in every single possible way. It's not even close.

Enchanted Tower - I bought this game for my 5 year old niece and we played it Christmas night. It's a cool kids game where one person is an evil sorcerer who hides a key under the game board and then both players race to find it. The sorcerer always knows where the key is, but starts several spaces behind the prince. The player pawns are magnetized so when you move over potential hiding spots for the key it will "magically" get picked up by the pawn. Once one player finds the key they attempted to free the Princess from the enchanted tower. There are 6 potential key holes and only one will free the princess. If you choose correctly the princess pawn "jumps out of the tower" and you win the game. The game is a riot and my little devious niece always wanted to be the sorcerer because he gets to hide the key. We played it a couple of times and we each won once. Cool game that was fun to play with her. Apparently she played it the next couple of days and told my wife, "The game Uncle Mike got me is fun...but don't tell him!"

Pick-ominio - After my niece went to bed I played this with my wife, her sister and her husband. We drank some beers ate a shitload of Christmas cookies and talked about the day. This is a great little time waster for this type of situation. You don't really need to pay attention to much and on your turn you get to roll a shitload of dice. It has some push your luck, and some take that where you can steal a worm (VP) from another player. We played it particularly viciously and were laughing the whole time. Good stuff.

Star Wars Risk - I'm still playing this one. I still firmly believe it's one of the best games released in 2015. I like playing this one with different people because everyone seems to try a different strategy. In one game I was the rebels and the Imperial scum took out Lando and the Falcon. So this started a grudge match where I decided against my better judgement to take on the fleet. First I took down the Executor, but I sustained heavy damages. My last hope was to redeem Vader and get a bunch of bonus cards. Luke was killed and the remaining TIE fighters were too much for my ships to handle. Still it was really fun. If I had redeemed Vader I had a good shot at winning.

In another game that was very close to ending I redeemed Vader, then used the bonus cards to blow up the shield generator. On the first play of my next turn I blew up the Death Star. That was a great finish. Love this game!
Last edit: 28 Dec 2015 10:19 by Egg Shen.

More
28 Dec 2015 10:17 #218368 by bendgar
My best bud from grade school is in town so last night was the obligatory board game night. Played Blood Rage. I found it was easy to teach and play. I only messed up once with how many dudes I could bring onto the map. I blame lack of sleep and abundance of alcohol. We found the game to be a lot of fun and I really like the viking setting. I came in last place and my wife won. Big surprise. Yeah, the components are a bit excessive but it makes the game feel bloodier than it would with cubes.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.006 seconds