October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
31 Dec 2015 13:36 #218737 by Black Barney
Took at least an hour

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2015 13:57 #218743 by san il defanso

Disgustipater wrote: Played my second game of Ogre as the defense. This time I managed to take out the Ogre's treads before he got halfway up the board. It was at that point that my opponent questioned how attacking works. For whatever reason (vague Pocket Edition rules?), I thought that the checkboxes for the Ogre's weapons were hit points, with one attack per weapon. We came to realize that you get one attack per box.

You reminded me that I have Ogre, and that I really like it. Now I need to figure out when I can get in a two player game session, so I can play it.

More
31 Dec 2015 16:40 #218755 by Hex Sinister
I'm bummed that I sold my OGRE deluxe edition but I made a huge $5 profit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
01 Jan 2016 10:45 #218806 by DukeofChutney
Played through the entire WQ the card game campaign with a friend in the run up to midnight. We made a few rules errors for the first three missions that helped us out. We discarded engaged monsters when we moved locations so we could just sprint away from our problems. However we also applied multiple nemesis rolls so theres that in our favour. Either way we sorted out the rules by the last two scenarios which we beat fairly handily. I think scenarios one and three are the hardest. Later on the advancement of your characters sort of out weighs the difficulty curve as far as i can tell.

I still love this game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
01 Jan 2016 11:59 - 01 Jan 2016 12:08 #218811 by Disgustipater
Two more games of Ogre. Another play as the defense. This time I managed to take out the Ogre's treads about 8 spaces away from my Command Post. I had also taken out all his weapons except his AP guns, so I wasn't too concerned about him prior to immobilizing him. I had multiple lucky shots with my howitzers on his treads. I think I hit him 3 or 4 times in a row. Multiple 6 damage hits to your treads hurts A LOT. After that we swapped sides and I just raced up the board, changing direction at one point to avoid the bulk of his force. He placed both howitzers at center, one near the front, the other near the back. Each one took an auto hit missile, since he didn't bother to take out my missiles before I used them. I easily made it up to his CP and took it out. He did very little damage to me. I don't think he played well at all, but it was only his second play ever, so it can be forgiven. Definitely a fun little game.

8 of us played the Great Dalmuti . We played with the scoring variant up to 50 points. Last hand I had 43 points, while the leader had 48. As luck would have it, I managed to go out first for 8, bringing me up to 51, and the previous leader ended up last for 1 point putting her at 49. It's an okay game but I wouldn't play it more than once in a great while.

Since we still had 8 players, we played Cards Against Humanity. We have 5 expansions and several of the mini expansions and have enjoyed the game a lot over the last few years. However, we've finally reached the point of being over it. This morning, out of the blue, my wife said, "I don't really like Cards Against Humanity anymore." I knew I hadn't for a while now. I think it's time to sell off the set.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2016 12:08 by Disgustipater.

More
01 Jan 2016 16:33 #218824 by mads b.
Played Eldritch Horror the other night. I still miss the feeling of being in an actual town that Arkham Horror has, but EH is just such a good game in so many other ways. The conditions are an especially nice touch that adds a lot of story and excitement with relatively low complexity.

We played with the new Antarctica board and were up against the Elder Things which we defeated with only a single investigator killed. It seems like the game might be a bit easier with this new expansion, but we had lots of great moments and this is not really a game that requires difficulty to be an experience.

More
01 Jan 2016 19:18 #218833 by Gary Sax
Played two games of Splendor last night before conking out.

More
01 Jan 2016 20:24 #218834 by san il defanso

Gary Sax wrote: Played two games of Splendor last night before conking out.

With Splendor, you might have fallen asleep and kept playing anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, ChristopherMD, Msample, DukeofChutney

More
01 Jan 2016 21:01 #218837 by Gary Sax
Yeah, it has the "communal activity" quality to it.

More
01 Jan 2016 23:07 - 01 Jan 2016 23:09 #218846 by repoman
Had a good day of gaming at The Secret Lair of the True Believers.

Dungeonquest Revised Ed. was first. I made it three tiles in before plummeting down a bottomless pit. Al Rose scrounged up a huge amount of loot before becoming lost forever in the catacombs. Shellie was lost but still alive on the dungeon when Josh made his escape clutching the huge diamond to his chest and won the game. And set a new high score of 4000 gp or near enough.

Next was Arcadia Quest a dungeon crawl of an entirely different nature. Simple and straightforward game play coupled with finely detailed miniatures with oversized heads. Chiba style I think the kids call it. It was cute but a bit too shallow for my liking. Perhaps repeated plays would reveal more depth and certainly the others enjoyed it more than I so I don't say it's a bad game just not my bag.

Last we played Mysterium which is a combo of Clue and Dixit. It was fun and I can see it being a great game to play with non hardcore gamers. Simple enough for newbies to comprehend easily but with enough going on to still be interesting to verterans.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2016 23:09 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

More
02 Jan 2016 00:29 #218847 by Cranberries
Teen daughter had a friend over who knew how to play Dixit, so they played a four-player game with my other son and daughter. Today both girls asked if we could play it so five of us played a game. The adults were sort of buzz kills, but it was fun. Now I'm thinking about games they can play with their friends without any adults around.

More
02 Jan 2016 05:56 - 02 Jan 2016 05:56 #218852 by Erik Twice
It's good to see you guys talking about Ogre because LSDBomber was very kind and gave me a copy of the pocket edition, which I played for the first time yesterday. I really loved to open the envelope and check the 1970s-like package. The chits are too small, sure, but I like the look of the game.

That said, we were awful, the Ogre just smashed through the defenders. We never managed to put our GEVs to use, they got killed instantly and after checking online it seems our whole understanding of the game is wrong: GEVs are amazing (we thought they were ok) and we seriously overrated Missile Tanks. We also didn't do anything with out infantry other than trying to zerg rush with it, which doesn't work when the Ogre has all its antipersonal weapons. We really need some strategy tips because the game is waay too loopsided now.

I also don't know if we played it right. How fast is the Ogre? We moved him two hexes per turn and reduced it by one hex once he hit the end of the thread "life bar". Is that right?

But I liked it, I'm tempted to get GEV too now hahaha
Last edit: 02 Jan 2016 05:56 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

More
02 Jan 2016 10:55 #218862 by RobertB
For the original pocket edition Ogre - shoot the tracks or lose. I don't think there is another strategy that stops the Ogre from running over the command post and winning.

It's the holidays, and my brother and sister-in-law came over, so it was lighter games yesterday evening,

For the first game, the four of us played Takenoko. My wife bought it for me for Christmas. This wasn't one that I asked for, but after one play where I got my ass completely kicked, I think it's okay.

Then my daughter and her friend joined us for 3v3 Codenames. Evidently my entire immediate family sucks at that game, because my brother, sister-in-law, and the friend beat us six straight games.

My brother then got some kind of bug up his ass and decided that he wanted to play Pictionary. I couldn't talk him out of it, so we ended up with three teams. Brother and s-i-l won, with my wife and I four points behind. Daughter and friend were out of contention. It's pretty far from my favorite, but you can do worse in the 'family games' category.

We then had to argue with the 16-year-old that, no, we were not playing Cards Against Humanity, no matter how mature you think you are. I don't want to be explaining this game to angry parents or the county sheriff. Besides, once you've played through the cards a couple of times, it's kind of boring.

So since we weren't going to play CAH, we ended up playing Perudo, which is basically Liar's Dice without the handy odds board and a couple of minor rules changes. I evidently suck at that game too, and didn't win any of the games we played.

More
02 Jan 2016 11:08 - 02 Jan 2016 11:08 #218865 by RobertB
Erik Twice wrote:

I also don't know if we played it right. How fast is the Ogre? We moved him two hexes per turn and reduced it by one hex once he hit the end of the thread "life bar". Is that right?

The Ogre Mk III and Mk V (the only two in the Pocket edition) start their movement at three hexes per turn, and you need to kill all the track hexes to get its movement down to zero. IIRC, GEV has a Mk IV in the box that is more lightly armored, but moves four hexes per turn.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2016 11:08 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
02 Jan 2016 11:40 #218866 by Disgustipater

Erik Twice wrote: I also don't know if we played it right. How fast is the Ogre? We moved him two hexes per turn and reduced it by one hex once he hit the end of the thread "life bar". Is that right?

Your description is a little vague, so here's how it works (though you might already be aware of this). It starts with three movement. Once you get through the first row of 15 hit points, its move drops to two. Get through another row of 15 and it drops to one move. Take them all out and it has zero movement, effectively ending the game if the Ogre is not within weapons range of the CP.

What's the deal with the GEV version? Just more units and a bigger, different map?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 2.487 seconds