Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 May 2018 20:57 #273004

Msample wrote:

MoV was ahead of its time, shame it didn't get better reception when FFG redid it.

Really a dynamite design. Still a personal favorite. I really like Firefly as well but Merchants of Venus has an economic action going on that other games can’t touch, 25 years later.

As for FFG’s reprint . . . keep in mind they had no intention of reprinting the original version. That was the result of truly odd circumstance. It got critical acclaim, and I got my copy. Lucky break.

S.
  • Sagrilarus
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 3158
Last Edit: 09 May 2018 21:02 by Sagrilarus.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, stoic

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 May 2018 21:05 #273005

Merchant of Venus is the sort of game that I introduce to people, and their response is always mild surprise at how good it is. I think that the FFG version has helped this too, because it definitely adheres to modern graphical trends, good or bad. The game really has aged well too. It's just in a couple of details where its age peeks through, like in calculating percentages for station payouts. It's gradually become my favorite game of that type (even edging out Merchants & Marauders) because I always feel like I made my own way. Maybe that way caused me to lose ultimately, but that's fine with me.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, stoic

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 09 May 2018 22:35 #273011

I was working on a space pick up and deliver game years ago, and had sent it off to a publisher for evaluation. During that time, FFG announced the reprint of MoV, and I said to myself... well fuck. My game is sitting on a shelf. Perhaps some day I'll revisit it. I've learned a lot since then.
  • hotseatgames
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2026

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 May 2018 10:55 #273031

Glory to Rome is one of those games where many of the people I'd likely play it with already have a copy, and it's the kind of game my wife probably won't love. Like me, she is not that into points for points-sake, but she also doesn't have an irrational love for all games that primarily or prominently feature cards. So I'm unlikely to seek it out. It's definitely a game that gets me mildly excited when I see it in someone's bag at a meetup, and will likely try to get to their table whether or not it's being played. "This right here is a discerning gentleman." Kind of silly, but his other attempts like Mottainai or Impulse just don't do it for me. I would like to try Innovation again too. My main Chudyk right now is Red 7, because it can be played by the... 7-year-old (without the expert rules for now).

I'm mostly excited about Magic again, because I made a Brawl (60 card EDH using just standard cards) deck and my two eldest nephews are discovering the game. The new set is finally starting to revitalize the community at the shop.
  • Jexik
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 530
Last Edit: 10 May 2018 10:56 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 May 2018 13:04 #273043

The best kind of game is one that your buddy owns, especially if it's expensive or big. I bought my buddy Space Hulk 3 as a gift, because he has a bigger basement than I do.

S.
  • Sagrilarus
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 3158
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, Jexik

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 May 2018 09:46 #273211

Had some friends over for games last night.

Guns & Steel: Renaissance - I've played the original a bunch of times with this same group. This was our first time with the stand-alone expansion. The new culture tokens barely got used. In hindsight I probably should have gone after them more. In the expansion the Wonders take more effort to obtain but can't be taken away from you by anyone like in the original. Everyone seemed to prefer competing over who gets them instead taking them from each other afterwards. I think using the rules to bring in some of the original game's cards would be best so its still an option to steal Wonders from someone but won't be the focus of most attacks. I lost pretty badly with most of my points coming from culture. I think if I focused on winning that way more I would have done a lot better but don't think I would have won. If you're a fan of the original, as I am, the expansion is just as good. The original is more aggressive and this is more passive so is a situation of get the right one for the right group.

Flick'em Up - It was a lot of fun. Period.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer (the newer one) - Finally got to play this after buying it when it was released. It really is kind of an Arkham-lite/Pandemic mash-up with a Buffy setting tacked on like everyone says. I knew all that going in and am fine with it. Rulebook was decent but not as comprehensive as it needed to be. It certainly doesn't take-down Arkham Horror but I would absolutely choose it over Pandemic since I vastly prefer the Buffy setting to fighting diseases. It did go a little longer than it was welcome to which could be because it was a learning game or we just overthink things too much. Probably the most fun turns were when The Gentlemen were in play and we couldn't speak. Someone also noted the game went significantly faster when we weren't talking. Ultimately we won with a few spaces left on the Apocalypse Track. I would definitely play again. Didn't get final thoughts from others as it was really late so we called it a night.
  • ChristopherMD
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Road Warrior
  • Thank you received: 1795
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 May 2018 10:13 #273212

It gets trashed around here, but I love new Buffy. Yes, I kind of prefer it over the old one, which is fun after a few beers, but I will always take the option with more of a game attached. The pacing and how keeps the game difficult from start to finish are excellent, and those are the two reasons why I tend to hate co-ops. I’m ready for that expansion.
  • Josh Look
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1291
I'm ok with Ben Affleck playing Batman. At least there will be a better director on set.
Last Edit: 13 May 2018 10:15 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 May 2018 14:59 #273230

I was randomly thinking about Buffy boardgames this morning. I own the old Hasbro Buffy, and I played one game of the new Buffy last year.

On paper, new Buffy looks like it should be a better game. Lovely components, especially the board. More control over movement, and combat is deterministic. Game is designed so that it plays within a reasonable amount of time. And yet new Buffy is so lifeless. The theming is weakly and lazily applied, and everything feels a bit abstract and detached.

Hasbro Buffy looks like a hot mess on paper. Mediocre components, roll-and-move mechanic, player elimination, and the game can occasionally run pretty long. But the sun/moon cycle thing is neat, and the way that Oz literally flips his character board when he changes form is nice. Sometimes a game is brutally short, and sometimes way too long, but the dice rolling in Hasbro Buffy adds the tension that is utterly lacking in new Buffy. And player elimination is a very appropriate mechanic for a game with a horror theme. Given the choice, I will always play Hasbro Buffy instead of New Buffy.
  • Shellhead
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3233
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 May 2018 15:29 #273232

Shellhead wrote:
And yet new Buffy is so lifeless. The theming is weakly and lazily applied, and everything feels a bit abstract and detached.

I disagree with parts of this and some of it outright not true. The themeing is there. The setting is also there. The core characters and their place in a standard Buffy store are all there. Those are two different things, which the game handles well. It’s abstracted, but when you’re coming up with a system to represent 7 seasons of television, yeah, it’s going to have to be abstracted. Less abstracted would have been a skirmish thing or straight up Arkahma Horror, and I would have hated that (especially Arkham). The character abilities feel right, the big bass feel right, and a good portion of the monsters of the week feel perfect. Some of them don’t. What it doesn’t have is a sense of humor, which I’m fine with because that is so hard to do in a game. The old one has it, but make no mistake, it’s unintentional, and catch me in the wrong mood and it’s not funny, it’s irritating.

Sorry, man, I just don’t see your points. I’ve played it 20 times or so, I’m always engaged and it feels like Buffy. As a rule, I dislike co-ops, especially Pandmeic and Arkham Horror, as both feature a complete list of poor design in the genre, and that I’ve played Buffy as much as I have and still want to, I think the game is doing a whole lot right.
  • Josh Look
  • D10
I'm ok with Ben Affleck playing Batman. At least there will be a better director on set.
Last Edit: 13 May 2018 15:37 by Josh Look.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 May 2018 15:52 #273235

For the record I'm happy to play any Buffy board game. I hope we see more Buffy games using different mechanics just like there's a hundred games set around the Mediterranean. Honestly though I can't imagine ever being given the choice of playing one Buffy game over another in a real life situation. "Everyone agreed we're going to play one of these two Buffy games and its up to you, Chris, which one." is just never going to happen. I'll take whichever one can get to the table.
  • ChristopherMD
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Road Warrior
  • Thank you received: 1795
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Josh Look

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 May 2018 15:58 #273236

ChristopherMD wrote:
For the record I'm happy to play any Buffy board game. I hope we see more Buffy games using different mechanics just like there's a hundred games set around the Mediterranean. Honestly though I can't imagine ever being given the choice of playing one Buffy game over another in a real life situation. "Everyone agreed we're going to play one of these two Buffy games and its up to you, Chris, which one." is just never going to happen. I'll take whichever one can get to the table.

Oh, I will play either without complaints. The Legendary Buffy is really good too, and the best looking Legendary game by a long shot.
  • Josh Look
  • D10

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 13 May 2018 22:36 #273243

Played. Escape 1000000000000000000 BC and realize that it really needs dinosaur toys like Triassic Terror
  • SuperflyTNT
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 4135
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 May 2018 07:57 #273248

Josh Look wrote:
The Legendary Buffy is really good too, and the best looking Legendary game by a long shot.

Except that "cemetery" is spelled "cemetary" in the rulebook, on the cards, and on the board? Oi.
  • wkover
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 326

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 May 2018 09:03 #273252

Laundry day yesterday, but I didn't have as much time as usual, so I picked a shorter solitaire game: Death Angel. It's always a challenging game, and I hadn't played in nearly a year, so I went with the normal genestealers and the base set space marines. I drew the gray Librarian, the red gunner, and the yellow Lightning Claws, which seemed like a very promising mixture of offense and defense. I decided that I would play one turn after ironing each shirt, and then finish the game after ironing all ten shirts.

At the end of the first turn, I drew the They're Everywhere! event card, leaving me with at least on Genestealer on every single marine. Turn two was a fairly efficient cleanup with yellow and red on the attack, leaving just one Genestealer on my Librarian. And that fucker killed the Librarian. And then I drew the event card that allowed me to bring the Librarian back at the bottom of the formation. Wow! What an emotional rollercoaster!

The game continued with brutal intensity, and I staggered into the final room with half my squad: the Librarian and both red marines. This was the final room where you need to keep activating the control panel, either to add tokens or to try to roll less than or equal to the number of tokens for the win. By now, we had a killing swarm of a half dozen on the board, but I figured out a plan that would get me exactly two tokens on the panel and then precisely one desperate roll for the win.

The only weak point in my plan was the random placement of the incoming genestealers each turn. On turn ten, one turn before my desperate roll for the win, a lone, stray genestealer killed my Librarian (again), and I lost. I put away the iron and ironing board, then came back to the table and did something that I don't normally do. Instead of just putting away the game, I rolled the die to see if my Librarian would have won if not for that cheap shot by that one genestealer. Yes, I made the roll. I don't know if that made my loss better or worse, to know that I was so close to winning. Either way, it was a tense and thrilling game, and ultimately that mattered more to me than the simple fact of winning or losing.
  • Shellhead
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3233
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Msample, hotseatgames, birdman37, cdennett, charlest

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 May 2018 09:53 #273255

I've gotten Rising 5 to the table a few times recently and have been calmly underwhelmed. I want it to take that next step and deliver something, but it never attains any sense of strong identity or worth. I ended up writing several hundred words on it: playerelimination.com/2018/05/14/i-am-no...t-a-rising-5-review/

More High Society, with the correct rules, and my opinion hasn't changed much although I understand the nuance a bit more. Excellent filler that isn't quite as good as Modern Art. Really dig the theme utilized effortlessly.

Played a couple of solo games of the Sadler's newest release, Street Masters, and I really enjoyed it. This is a solo Street Fighter/Double Dragon "dudes on a grid" game where you basically have a showdown with a boss and some minions.

The most exciting elements are how it compartmentalizes interesting story and mechanical bits into separate sections that are pieced together. By that I mean that you choose your character who has a unique asymmetrical deck, choose a stage which has a unique board and event deck, and then choose an enemy group to fight which is of course unique as well with their own bosses and abilities.

All of this combines to form a variable setup with lots of moving parts that butt against each other in interesting ways. It's a fast paced game and the stages all seem to have a very solid identity. The balance between streamlined play while maintaining an identifiable soul is very much there. I also dig how difficult it feels, at least in the early days.

I'm also enamored with the story system, where it has some light narrative focused linked play through a story deck, but these cards sit in the background of the standard showdown setup. It's a fantastic way to provide a very light campaign feel without overhauling all of the mechanisms. It's also extremely similar to a significant mechanism in my design Red Meridian that Grey Fox signed in late 2016, which is slightly a bummer. Still, stellar mechanic. I'll be playing this one a few times at Geekway this week to get a more solid handle.
  • charlest
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2014
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.511 seconds