Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 May 2018 10:21 #273257

Only had 2 players on Saturday (which, sadly, seems to be the new norm.) We ran Argent with the upgrade kit and the new masks mini expansion.

First, the upgrade. using rubber rings on new minis to mark ownership of mages, rather than putting the cardboard into the base slots, is a huge, huge improvement. Doesn't seem like a big deal but it makes the game less fiddly.

The new Masks expansion is fine. It adds more to a game that doesn't really need more. I can't say it made a huge impact on the game, but we'll continue to use it, so it's not a net-negative.

They've also made official an oft-house rule that attempts to balance IP. IP is now the second tie breaker in determining who wins a voter, the first tiebreaker is having a mark on the voter. This is a very slight, but very important, distinction. Generally if you had to choose between IP and you'd always pick IP, now the decision is less cut and dried.

Unfortunately, for our game, it didn't matter. I got absolutely crushed, losing 7-3. There was no option to gain IP on the board and my opponent had the neutral mages so he started with merit badge and I didn't have one until turn 4. I played like ass, but that didn't help.

After Argent we set up and ran through Heroes of Land Air and Sea. Neither of us were really trying, we were just trying to learn the game and get a good feel for how it would play.

We both determined that it was not a two player game, but that there were solid bones underpinning the experience. We'll need to get at least 3 before we bring it out again.
  • Stonecutter
  • Stonecutter's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D6
  • Posts: 890
  • Thank you received: 301
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 May 2018 10:22 #273258

Street Masters did seem cool. Brook City looks even more fun to me, but I am trying to avoid backing anything on KS for a while.
  • hotseatgames
  • hotseatgames's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Posts: 4173
  • Thank you received: 2026
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 May 2018 11:14 #273264

Stonecutter wrote:
They've also made official an oft-house rule that attempts to balance IP. IP is now the second tie breaker in determining who wins a voter, the first tiebreaker is having a mark on the voter. This is a very slight, but very important, distinction. Generally if you had to choose between IP and you'd always pick IP, now the decision is less cut and dried.

This is the biggest change in the whole kit, tbh. And much needed. We *still* use a further influence nerf by taking the IP voters out of the game and dealing another random.

Yeah, I got my upgrade kit. My wife already made custom versions of what they're doing using magnets but we've got the new ones if we need them. Masks look interesting but nothing huge. Glad more people will have a chance to buy this gem.
  • Gary Sax
  • Gary Sax's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 8293
  • Thank you received: 2966
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 May 2018 11:21 #273267

Also, Charles, I really feel like you're doing your best work ever on your blog. It feels like you've been unshackled from the review style constraints of your paid stuff. Keep gettin' them checks (I would) but I really like the other style when you can write it.
  • Gary Sax
  • Gary Sax's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 8293
  • Thank you received: 2966
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyTNT, charlest

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 May 2018 11:35 #273268

Patreon proves that if you write something worth reading, people will pay for it voluntarily.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • SuperflyTNT's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D20
  • Posts: 10408
  • Thank you received: 4134
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 May 2018 11:49 #273272

SuperflyTNT wrote:
Patreon proves that if you write something worth reading, people will pay for it voluntarily.

Unfortunately I wouldn't know as I don't have a Patreon, heh.

Dan Thurot just started one a couple of weeks ago and I totally recommend anyone who enjoys his stuff and gets something out of it to throw some dough his way.

And don't forget about Matt, although I figured everyone already knew about that here.
Gary wrote:
Also, Charles, I really feel like you're doing your best work ever on your blog. It feels like you've been unshackled from the review style constraints of your paid stuff. Keep gettin' them checks (I would) but I really like the other style when you can write it.

Thanks, that's fantastic to hear as I feel that way as well and it was the primary reason I created it. I enjoy writing for other outlets, and frankly the money makes a difference to my family, but there's a lot of baggage and it's definitely not as comfortable.

Geek & Sundry lets me write however I'd want stylistically (within reason), but they really want articles that are enthusiastic. There's no deeper games criticism occurring there. So I only pitch them reviews where I know my negativity will be minimal (such as City of Kings).

Ars Technica is fantastic when it comes to wanting critical pieces, but their style is so technical and uncreative that I have a very hard time writing for them. It's always a chore and I go through multiple re-writes on my end before I ever submit, then I'm never happy with my articles there (maybe my This War of Mine is the only one I'm somewhat happy with).
  • charlest
  • charlest's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D10
  • Posts: 2733
  • Thank you received: 2013
Last Edit: 14 May 2018 11:55 by charlest.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 May 2018 12:38 #273275

"POPULAR" REVIEWER SLAMS ARS TECHNICA, POSSIBLE COLLUSION
  • hotseatgames
  • hotseatgames's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Posts: 4173
  • Thank you received: 2026
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 May 2018 15:10 #273285

Gary Sax wrote:
Stonecutter wrote:
They've also made official an oft-house rule that attempts to balance IP. IP is now the second tie breaker in determining who wins a voter, the first tiebreaker is having a mark on the voter. This is a very slight, but very important, distinction. Generally if you had to choose between IP and you'd always pick IP, now the decision is less cut and dried.

This is the biggest change in the whole kit, tbh. And much needed. We *still* use a further influence nerf by taking the IP voters out of the game and dealing another random.

Yeah, I got my upgrade kit. My wife already made custom versions of what they're doing using magnets but we've got the new ones if we need them. Masks look interesting but nothing huge. Glad more people will have a chance to buy this gem.

I think we're going to do that next time. As long as IP is to merit badges it's a worthwhile track to pursue.
  • Stonecutter
  • Stonecutter's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D6
  • Posts: 890
  • Thank you received: 301
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 May 2018 19:18 #273299

Played Food Chain Magnate again. Some quick thoughts:

- This game seems like it snowballs pretty hard. But it doesn't. Money is like victory points, it doesn't help you win. Its illusory.
- You can win by focusing on the few last turns of the game.
- Milestones are important but you don't need them to win. That is, you don't need a Fridge or a free CFO or any other milestone to win if your principles are sound.
- The "free CFO" milestone isn't unbalanced nor does it lead to snowballs. It gives aggressive strategies an edge, allowing them to end the game before the engine-builder crushes everyone. Most of the time, either someone can get a CFO through normal means or it doesn't matter, because 50% more income doesn't make you earn income in the first place. Again, it's like 50% more victory points.
- Doing well is much less important than making your opponents do poorly.
- This game is not actually long. I think most people are taking several hours because 1) They don't know the cards yet 2) They are all, in typical BGG fashion not playing the game aggressively enough. This is a common issue with games that use a "break the bank" mechanic like 18XX titles: Newbies are not aggressive enough and, hence, their games take very long.
- The game is probably more interesting the more players you have, though great at any count.
  • Erik Twice
  • Erik Twice's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D8
  • Needs explosions
  • Posts: 1513
  • Thank you received: 988
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, DukeofChutney

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 May 2018 20:02 #273300

Ugh. Sitting here at game night. Latest Kickstarter delivery already on the table when I arrived, looks overly complicated for what it is. Happy I'm not playing, but wishing there was something to go after.
  • Sagrilarus
  • Sagrilarus's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D12
  • Posts: 6338
  • Thank you received: 3158
Last Edit: 14 May 2018 20:32 by Sagrilarus.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperflyTNT

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 14 May 2018 23:49 #273315

Played Desolate again. Such a good little game. Very entertaining and not unlike a choose your own adventure sans the text.

Not a great game, but a good one that knows what it is and stays within its lane.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • SuperflyTNT's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D20
  • Posts: 10408
  • Thank you received: 4134
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 May 2018 07:26 #273319

SuperflyTNT wrote:
Played Desolate again. Such a good little game. Very entertaining and not unlike a choose your own adventure sans the text.

Not a great game, but a good one that knows what it is and stays within its lane.

Print n Play or a published copy? It's hard to tell from the website what it is you're getting.
  • Sagrilarus
  • Sagrilarus's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D12
  • Posts: 6338
  • Thank you received: 3158
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 May 2018 08:36 #273320

I'm bloody lazy at typing anything in this thread ...

Last weekend was:
First play of 3-player Cry Havoc
- I drew the Machines, the harder faction to play, and was absolutely smashed by the other in score over the five rounds, only just avoided being lapped on the 50pt score track.
- Found out the following day after posting a question to its BGG forum that it is totally acceptable to choose your skills for the game rather than following the rulebook and drawing them random (of my three drawn two were probably the weakest of the ten).
- Fun hybrid with a lot of tactical challenge when you throw in the expansion contents (and choose your skills) and, even with no dice, I enjoyed it.

Then Defenders of the Last Stand
- Just failed to win as we ran to fight the final boss Puke as a group of three, instead of just one or two of us fighting him, and in that last wait he flew into the Last Stand and we were losers.
- As long as you don't mind rolling dice and aren't looking for an overly strategic or thinking game this is great fun, much better than Pandemic.
- Second game in a row that the boss Bramble probably caused our loss in the end due to wasting an attack against her (i.e. all the collected cards gone), you need to throw a natural 6 before any of your hits count and I rolled eight dice but no maximums. Two weeks before one of the others rolled ten dice for the same result.
- A shame that this game only just KSed so Richard Launius and his partner were unable to proceed with expansions (unlike the myriad for Defenders of the Realm).
  • Southernman
  • Southernman's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Eat Steel !
  • Posts: 3216
  • Thank you received: 501
Konieczkarian
F:ATies 'Spawn of Ameritrash' Worldwide Map: maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe...7e41fde832d5ff51&z=2
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 May 2018 09:30 #273324

Sagrilarus wrote:
SuperflyTNT wrote:
Played Desolate again. Such a good little game. Very entertaining and not unlike a choose your own adventure sans the text.

Not a great game, but a good one that knows what it is and stays within its lane.

Print n Play or a published copy? It's hard to tell from the website what it is you're getting.

I purchased it from Gamecrafter.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • SuperflyTNT's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D20
  • Posts: 10408
  • Thank you received: 4134
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 May 2018 11:24 #273333

SuperflyTNT wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
SuperflyTNT wrote:
Played Desolate again. Such a good little game. Very entertaining and not unlike a choose your own adventure sans the text.

Not a great game, but a good one that knows what it is and stays within its lane.

Print n Play or a published copy? It's hard to tell from the website what it is you're getting.

I purchased it from Gamecrafter.

Alright. That makes sense then. It appears to be a PnP, but it lists a shipping date of June 1st. Looks like they've opted to make a printing option of it from their web site.

Given the price ($17) it could be a PnP. That's about what I've been paying for games at WarGameVault (a little less but in the neighborhood).

I'm looking for something I can throw in my bag that I can play when I'm on the road. I've carted Silent Victory around recently which is a little big, but it's in an indestructo-GMT box so that isn't much of an issue damage-wise. But it's big on the table too, so I have to be able to spread out.

Oh, and apparently I have an account at The Game Crafter. No history (nor recollection) of working with them in the past, but I have 10 Crafter Points and a valid uid/pw. Wonder how they inherited that?
  • Sagrilarus
  • Sagrilarus's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • D12
  • Posts: 6338
  • Thank you received: 3158
Last Edit: 15 May 2018 11:26 by Sagrilarus.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.453 seconds