Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 May 2018 11:28 #273335

Gary Sax wrote:
Also, Charles, I really feel like you're doing your best work ever on your blog. It feels like you've been unshackled from the review style constraints of your paid stuff. Keep gettin' them checks (I would) but I really like the other style when you can write it.
Could someone provide a link to Charlie's blog? I know it's been posted before, but I'm too lazy to look for it. Thanks.
  • Gregarius
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 665
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, charlest

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 May 2018 12:13 #273341

Gregarius wrote:
Gary Sax wrote:
Also, Charles, I really feel like you're doing your best work ever on your blog. It feels like you've been unshackled from the review style constraints of your paid stuff. Keep gettin' them checks (I would) but I really like the other style when you can write it.
Could someone provide a link to Charlie's blog? I know it's been posted before, but I'm too lazy to look for it. Thanks.

playerelimination.com

I post a new article every Monday.
  • charlest
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2014
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Gregarius, Unicron, xthexlo

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 May 2018 12:22 #273342

Taught another player Technobowl over the week, Banditos vs pandas. added in player abilities...and yes this absolutely changes the game for the better. Browns have a nasty combination, a player with 'Shove' that moves a blocked player two spaces straight back, and another with 'Blitz' that allows a player to make a block after a full move. After a couple plays where his lucky rolls allowed this combo to create huge holes, I had to start keeping an extra blocker to protect the QB.

On offense, I started making plays that were designed as short throws (receiver with 'catch' and 'juke') but slowly moving the QB around in the pocket with the half-activations, and spring away with him('spin move') if the play broke down enough that the throw never materialized.

1775- first time here, game ended on turn 4? and we did not protect our lines well enough, that there were enough holes to slip through with the sneaky patriots and allow some British controlled colonies to flip to neutral for an American win.

Oh...and I told him about Xwing 2nd...pissed him off enough that he sold his stuff on the spot to another player.

Soccer season is over, so the kids wanted to play some games. also intermittent rains make it difficult to get out and enjoy the weather sometimes.

Survive - such a great game, and the kids just loved sending giant squids after Daddy's people. I lost, and my wife ran away with the win.

Then Agricola, family version. so no occupations, no minor improvements, 'easier' cards added to the actions spaces. My daughter is 8, and so it took her alittle while to get a handle on things. but she did really well and loves the game. This is an early version of the game, without the animeeples, and really showed how spoiled I've gotten with the quality of bits in games like Scythe. Cubes and discs work fine, but if my daughter really likes it, we might spring for something to upgrade the bits.

She did not like the way the game forces you to jump into everything alittle, vs specializing in one, and without occupations/minor improvements to give other scoring opportunities that aspect is emphasized. We might just houserule that out for family games.
  • lj1983
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 248
Last Edit: 16 May 2018 17:59 by lj1983.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jpat, hotseatgames, Frohike, charlest, Gregarius

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 May 2018 12:54 #273343

I've been wanting to get Technobowl back to the table. It's been a while.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2026

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 15 May 2018 23:02 #273395

Man, who likes that characteristic of Agricola?
  • Gary Sax
  • Thank you received: 2966
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, lj1983

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 16 May 2018 08:10 #273405

She's 8 and figured out that it sucks.
  • lj1983
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 248
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, jpat, Msample, SuperflyTNT, Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 16 May 2018 08:51 #273412

Played a quick game of Frostgrave last night. It was probably the most boring round we have had; only one random creature spawned, and we both ended the game pretty evenly. The only event of note was that I successfully cast Wizard Eye twice, and took half of the enemy apprentice's health away by blasting her with Elemental Bolt via Wizard Eye.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 16 May 2018 08:58 #273415

At this point we spawn a random monster on any roll that isn’t a 1.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • HYPOCRITE
  • Thank you received: 7009

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 16 May 2018 16:58 #273437

Wow, Barker's Row is really neat...sort of an under the radar Kickstarter thing from a tiny publisher...I played it last night and dug it. You are a carny trying to get "rubes" into seats by putting freaks, oddities, beasts, and so forth on your stage. You have a little cardboard grandstand and the rubes are illustrated meeple pieces. There is a strongman tower to track the value of your shows, which is really cute. The gameplay is fun- it's really a German game-style stock market thing about increasing values but it works with the setting. Super easy to play, looks great. The exhibitions give you special actions including some take that and messing around with cards/values and so forth. Unexpected success. I like the illustrations and it is really well done, but I kind of wish they used vintage carnival artwork for it.

Played through all of Mythos Tales, the 2nd edition with at least half of the errors fixed. It's really good, and really more of a proper mythos game than Arkham Horror/Eldritch Horror/etc. Fans of classic Call of Cthulhu should take note, it is like a cross between vintage CoC and Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective. Thoroughly enjoyed it, even if I scored horribly on all the cases.

Jurassic Park: Danger rocks. Well worth your $25. It is definitely inspired by Survive! but it has more complexity than you'd expect. This is one of those one-off mass market games that really delivers.

Might play Gloomhaven tonight, I dunno. I bought it from Stormseeker, figured I should at least check it out.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • HYPOCRITE
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, jpat, stormseeker75

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 16 May 2018 18:00 #273440

Barker's Row looks cool -- seems like something I would like.

Also, check your PM, Michael; otherwise, I am going to have to put a nice quinoa salad and craft beer in your summoning circle to call you forth from your domain.
  • Space Ghost
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 786

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 17 May 2018 07:25 #273466

Michael Barnes wrote:
Might play Gloomhaven tonight, I dunno. I bought it from Stormseeker, figured I should at least check it out.

You should play those other two gems I put in there for you.
MWChapel wrote: Euro's are trying to bring gaming to the level of competitive sports. Competition based on skill outweighs the basic theme driven escapism. Sport over entertainment.

Jeb wrote: If...

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 17 May 2018 11:49 #273492

Beasty Bar - Took this one off the shelf while waiting for a fourth person to show up. I've always enjoyed this odd game and it once again proved to be a hit among some new players. It's short, mean, and every now and then the card you play delivers a delicious dose of self satisfaction. The kind of satisfaction that makes you totally feel like a smug bastard. The best kind of self satisfaction really. Plus, it's always fun to see how the different combinations of animal abilities interact with one another. Especially if someone thinks they just pulled off a great move, only to then realize they accidentally caused the card they just played to get eaten by a crocodile. Beasty Bar is chaotic and confrontational, but always a good time.

HeroQuest - I had a friend spot this on my shelf and demanded that we play it. How could I not oblige? For a game that is considered antiquated or even too simple in its design...it still delivers the good stuff. The feeling of exploration by the heroes is satisfying. You always wonder what lies beyond the next closed door or what treasure you might find. The combat resolution is so simple, but so utterly timeless. The only real complaint is that playing as Zargon is really just a glorified DM. I did manage to kill the dwarf player, but your options aren't really that engaging. Still I had a blast narrating the events and drumming up excitement for everyone. I had this one Fimir that just wouldn't die. He limped around with a single "body point" for at least 6 rounds...almost whittling down the Barbarian to his death. Given the amount of games that have seen reprints and new editions it is astounding that HeroQuest has never been brought back. Maybe one day Restoration Games will get their hands on it and it will get the proper update that it truly deserves. Until then I'll be glad to go dungeon diving with my old beat up copy.
  • Egg Shen
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1074
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southernman, ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, stoic, Gregarius, Mantidman

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 17 May 2018 12:32 #273494

There's a kickstarter going on now called OrcQuest that is channeling it pretty hard.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 18 May 2018 05:16 #273571

Michael Barnes wrote:
You do that. Would be interested in your comments on this, preferably in a Barnestorming kind of way.
  • Nodens
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 146
Last Edit: 18 May 2018 09:34 by Nodens.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 18 May 2018 19:12 #273644

I played Gloomhaven last night. The first thing that happened is that I won a pie eating contest.

So we are off to a good start.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • HYPOCRITE
Time to create page: 0.445 seconds