Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 21 May 2018 11:36 #273805

Gary Sax wrote:
charlest wrote:
I played a lot of stuff at Geekway. I'll update later when I can do it from a PC and not my phone. First hot take - John Company is amazing.

God damn it Charles, you're like my gaming twin who actually plays games.

It was the number one game I was pushing to get played at Geekway, so I scheduled it with some friends. We all really enjoyed it. Me and one of my main weekly gaming buddies kept reflecting on it throughout the con and vowed to play it again very soon. I really wanted to play it again immediately after, but that wasn't practical.

I don't even know how to begin talking about everything I played, so here's a list:

Werewords x17
The Mind x9
3 Secrets x5
Drop It x5
The Chameleon x3
Drachenturm x2
Fantasy Realms x2
High Society x2
Street Masters: Rise of the Kingdom x2
Tiefe Taschen x2
Boom, Bang, Gold x2
Cthulhu Wars
Dead Man's Draw
Dungeon Draft
Eclipse
Enchanted Cupcake Party Game
Galaxy Trucker
The Grimm Forest
Heroes of Land, Air & Sea
John Company
Jump Drive
Jurassic Park: Danger! Adventure Strategy Game
Lucidity: Six-Sided Nightmares
Magic Maze
Paku Paku
Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant
Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise
Time's Up! Title Recall!
World Championship Russian Roulette

John Company was the best play.

The Mind was the biggest surprise. I'm firmly in the cult of The Mind and think it's something special. I had counter-hype going in and it blew me away. I think it's a game that nearly everyone on FAT would hate. It's very divisive I feel. There's almost nothing there.

Street Masters is shaping up to be one of the best releases of the year. It's hanging comfortably in the middle of my 2018 top ten at this point.

Tiefe Taschen remains as one of my favorite games of all time (just outside my top 10 I think). I've hit close to 20 plays now and it is simply superb.

Our game of Eclipse had four experienced players and it only took 2 hours. Fast as hell and it was great. It was a bit unusual in that we had a big standoff in the final two turns where we couldn't quite commit to taking the middle from another player and it resulted in defeat. Contemplating how I should have played it differently but not sure.

Sidereal Confluence remains as one of the best games of 2017. Fractional points and all.
  • charlest
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2000
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 21 May 2018 12:10 #273811

I love The Mind because I find it fascinating. It really gets you thinking about a lot of different things: How do people track time? Why do some people count faster than others? Is this even a game? All of which usually lead to good conversations afterwards.

Personally, I'm one of those who doesn't think it's a "game," but that doesn't diminish it in my eyes.
  • Gregarius
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 657

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 21 May 2018 12:17 #273814

Gregarius wrote:
I love The Mind because I find it fascinating. It really gets you thinking about a lot of different things: How do people track time? Why do some people count faster than others? Is this even a game? All of which usually lead to good conversations afterwards.

Personally, I'm one of those who doesn't think it's a "game," but that doesn't diminish it in my eyes.

Yes, it's so bizarre with almost minimal effort. The first time I was told to put my hand in the middle to center ourselves, I thought it was ridiculous and stupid. That didn't happen the second time.
  • charlest
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2000

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 21 May 2018 13:05 #273822

Our game of Eclipse had four experienced players and it only took 2 hours. Fast as hell and it was great. It was a bit unusual in that we had a big standoff in the final two turns where we couldn't quite commit to taking the middle from another player and it resulted in defeat. Contemplating how I should have played it differently but not sure.

It's hard to top Eclipse though many games have tried since it came out.
  • stoic
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Cobra Kai!
  • Thank you received: 815
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds