October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
18 Oct 2016 10:21 - 18 Oct 2016 10:31 #236386 by Columbob

My division had another player added because there were not enough players to create a third division. The extra player was waiting around during our game and I offered to play against him after I was quickly slaughtered. He said he did not want to play as I only had 1,500 points and he only plays 1,850-point games and it wasn't worth it to trim his list down to play (1,500 points is all that is required to participate in the league

Does that mean you'll never fight him unless you boost your points count?

As for Scythe, the entire design is carefully developed so as to encourage players to be counter-agressive. If you want to fight, you really need to work for it. For exemple, White (Polonia) have an advantage for attacking peasants, yet they start far from the resources necessary to build mechs. Black can get more fighting achievements, yet their river crossing ability get them farther away from their opponents and the center.

The one faction with the most useful skill in a min-maxing game such as this is Red, as they can use the same action repeatedly. Plus they get this teleporting ability sending them straight to the middle. They'll get there before anyone else in every game if they want to. Ironically, the extra action is least useful for them because of their repeating actions skill.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2016 10:31 by Columbob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2016 11:01 #236393 by JEM
My gut feeling about that 40K player was he didn't want to play whatever the points. It was never a problem for me to have two lists that covered all the figures in my box.

More
18 Oct 2016 11:42 - 18 Oct 2016 11:42 #236398 by barrowdown

Columbob wrote: Does that mean you'll never fight him unless you boost your points count?

I guess that would be the case, which means I likely won't be able to play him during the current league that ends in December. I just do not buy/build models fast enough to make that feasible. As this was literally my second game, I also want to be able to play a while and fail with what I have. Later I can focus on making something more competitive when I know what style I want to focus on.

I did grab the Imperial Knight: Renegade box so I have those that I can feasibly add to my force, but I really want to finish up my current forces so I do not end up with the grey legion. Plus, I think I will be very slow at getting the Knights built/modded/painted.

JEM wrote: My gut feeling about that 40K player was he didn't want to play whatever the points. It was never a problem for me to have two lists that covered all the figures in my box.

That may very well be true. He did offer to play either my opponent or me when we finished the game, but he may have thought I had 1,850 available or was only interested in playing my opponent.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2016 11:42 by barrowdown.

More
19 Oct 2016 14:17 #236493 by Colorcrayons
I received my copy of Dungeon Saga from Mr. Look yesterday.

Between yesterday and today, we have gone through 6 of the 8 adventures.

My initial reaction is: "Holy dicefest, Batman!"
Which isn't bad, but the frequent stalemates that happen during combat can be rather yawn inspiring.

The kids like it well enough, however, their attention span for games doesn't really exceed 45 mins if they play together. Isolated from one another, they remain engaged.

This causes a problem when using this game as a cooperative teaching tool, as the later adventures can run up to a couple hours due to the stalemate dice chucking.

Otherwise, its a rather decent dungeon crawler worthy of inclusion into a collection. It offers a sense of exploration, and is a bit better than heroquest in many ways. The art and variety of monsters is the only place I feel heroquest soundly beats dungeon saga. Its an entertaining game inside of this package if you can get it for two Jacksons.

That said, I'm not sure if I should splurge on the adventurers companion. I want to, especially if it will make the game 'better'. But I don't want to dump more money into this at the moment due to iffy reviews of later material for the game.

It does need more variety than what is in the base for continued play, but I'm not certain that the demons and orcs are enough to warrant their purchase.

No regrets on the base game purchase though, and recommend at least playing through it once.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
20 Oct 2016 21:34 - 23 Oct 2016 11:34 #236589 by KingPut
I'm still in between moves and my games are still in long term storage so I haven't been doing a lot gaming lately but every once in while I've been able to hit game night. Over the last month this is what I've played:

Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition twice: I played the Japanese twice. The first game I played ok but I was timid against an experienced US player. 2nd game I played better against a newbie US player. TOS rating = 7

Risk Europe
twice. Loved this game. I think it might beat out Star Wars Rebellion as my Ameritrash game of the year. The game had the perfect balance of a simple Risk game with some newer 21st century streamlined gaming concept. Each player get a hand of 6 or 7 order cards (move, attack, build, reinforce, etc) and on each turn they play one card. It's kind of Runewars like. TOS rating = 9.

Then last Saturday I went over to guys house where there was a lot of Eurogamers. Two of the guys I knew were were just starting a game. Ray said you want to play Forged in Steel Forged in Steel . Maybe it was how he described it knowing that I was a war gamer that got me very interested. He said it was like a Card Driven War game similar to Twilight Struggle but with out the warfare. In Forged in Steel you have a hand full of cards that you can play for 3-5 ops or play for the event. In Forged in Steel players represent prominent family in a Pueblo Colorado in 1900 who are fighting to take over mining, industry, city, or commercial as when as being elected Mayor. The negative part of the game is that it's a total victory point salad but I love the Card Driven play and how cut throat the game becomes as you can start riots and burn down people mansions. It kind of reminds me of some of my other favorite economic Euros by Martin Wallace. After one play I think it's one of the best new Euros I've played in long time. TOS rating = 7.5 Just like Twilight Struggle and other Card Driven games it was really interesting reading about the history of Pueblo, CO. It was also interesting to read Jason Matthews comments about playtesting the game.

"I had the pleasure of joining an early playtest of Forged in Steel. When Ananda and I designed Twilight Struggle, we hoped that it would inspire other designers to innovate with card-driven game mechanics, and create playable games that also were rich in theme. Forged in Steel is a prime example of what we had in mind. Most serious historical gaming has focused on military and diplomatic history. Sometimes we see elements of political and economic history. Forged in Steel is the first game that looks to incorporate the world of “public history” into gaming. It does so in an extremely clever and engaging fashion. Like most people, I have no background in turn-of-the-century developments in Colorado. But by the end of one game, players will have absorbed an enormous amount of history effortlessly, and have a great time doing it." JM, 2015

I also got a chance to play the hot new Essen game Terraforming Mars . It was interesting playing both Terraforming Mars and Forged in Steel on the same day because they both have a lot in common in that you're working together with other players to build something on map but at the same time you're fighting to get the most VPs. Both games are card driven but take a different approach to how cards are used and played. I liked Terraforming Mars, it fact it might be 2nd favorite Euro I've played in long time only behind Forged in Steel. TOS rating = 7

Last up was Roll through the Galaxy. I pretty much hate Race through the Galaxy TOS=3. It's too abstract, I hate all the little colors and symbols etc. Roll through the Galaxy was only slightly better. TOS rating = 4.
Last edit: 23 Oct 2016 11:34 by KingPut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, ChristopherMD, Cranberries, Mr. White, Columbob, Frohike, engineer Al, JEM

More
20 Oct 2016 22:14 #236594 by Gary Sax
^great post!

More
22 Oct 2016 14:22 #236698 by hotseatgames
Just finished a solo round of Mission 3 in Betrayal at Calth. In this mission, the dastardly Word Bearers only have 5 space marines, but they also have Sor Gharax, which is a huge hulking monstrosity. His damage is handled completely differently than any other model; you draw from a special deck of damage cards that target different parts of his armor, and you can only kill him by destroying his torso (here, called the sarcophagus).

The Ultramarines, by contrast, start with a full complement of 10 space marines, and can teleport in Terminators, one by one, but they have to spend actions at a teleportarium control panel at the bottom of the map. As one unit of marines set about heading for the panel, the Ultramarines missile launcher unit started making short work of the Word Bearers. Sor Gharax pasted a few Ultramarines into a fine red mist, but it quickly became evident that the Word Bearers were distinctly out-gunned and out-manned. However, there was still hope for their Chaos-addled minds.... they had a secondary victory condition that, if Sor Gharax could walk off the opposite edge of the map, they would win. He started trudging in that direction. His size also prevents him from losing tactical points or being pinned, so no one would be able to stop him without surrounding or killing him.

He took damage to his armor, and his left leg, but he had made it to the final spot on the board. His next turn would spell victory for the Word Bearers... but the Ultramarines had one chance left; their missile launcher unit was activated, and was accompanied by a Heavy Flamer thanks to the discovery of a prometheum pipeline. This allowed them to roll 11 dice, coming up with 7 hits. All of this would be for naught if the Sarcophagus card wasn't drawn.... and it WAS. Sor Gharax fell in a heap of steel, flesh, and wires.

This game rocks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, cdennett, JEM

More
22 Oct 2016 17:42 #236708 by Erik Twice
Played games again:

Incómodos Invitados: (Uncomfortable guests) This is the second time I've played this game and while I enjoyed it, the flaws I noticed on my first play have become more apparent. The trading aspect of the game is what differentiates it, but half of the time the same cards are traded over and over, without any real change in the game state.

The other flaw is the setup time. To make each game different, the deck is different everytime. Which is a good idea, the problem is that you have to build that deck
, adding from ten to fifteen minutes of boredom to the act of playing the game. If you take a little over an hour to play a game, the setup represents 25% of the total time, which is very awful.

Still, it's fun. I want to try it on higher difficulties, though, because it seems that on medium things get limited very fast.

Chicago Express: Still great, no matter how much I play it :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
23 Oct 2016 10:03 #236720 by wadenels
Played Pandemic: Reign of Cthulu which everybody immediately just started calling Pandemic Cthulu.

It's really solid. It's the Pandemic core with Lovecraft and chrome bolted on, but not so much that it overcomplexifies the game. There are now Cultists instead of Diseases, Relics instead of whatever those special ability cards in Pandemic were called, and other conversion stuff like that. But the interesting things are Sanity, Outbreaks, and the GOOs. There are things you'll need/want to do that make you roll the Sanity die. Results can be no effect, lose Sanity, or more Cultists show up. An Investigator that loses all his Sanity goes Insane, which gives him fewer actions and some different but not-always-entirely-negative effects. Outbreaks work differently from Pandemic as well. Instead of Cultists spreading all over the place like Disease cubes an "Outbreak" lets Cultists complete their ritual and the players reveal a GOO. GOOs are always bad, and they replace the Infection Track. As GOOs are revealed they have instant and/or permanent effects on the game, and they also replace the Infection Track from Pandemic proper. So as more GOOs awaken things get harder and the players have to draw more cards each turn that cause more Cultists to pop up. There are far fewer Cultists in P:Cthulu than Pandemic, far fewer locations, and more ways to travel easily. This helps offset the difficulty and goes a little further to make the game more than just Pandemic reskinned.

The changes and Lovecraftian additions to the Pandemic chassis give the game some atmosphere and make it less of an optimization exercise. It also seems much harder than normal Pandemic, at least through a couple early plays. Sometimes bad things happen through a chain of events that nobody would have predicted. I had an Investigator go from full Sanity (4) to Insane in two turns, which was both really bad for the team and a whole lot of fun.

If you really like the idea of a lean Euro-ish chassis that rewards optimization, but you want some variants to change up the game then Pandemic with On The Brink is probably your thing. If you like more atmosphere, a bit of lady luck, and a little bit of extra chrome in your game then Pandemic Cthulu is the easy recommendation.

More
23 Oct 2016 12:56 #236726 by hotseatgames
Last night was the annual Halloween games night. First up was Betrayal at House on the Hill, with the new [/bWidow's Walk[/b] expansion. I had stacked the decks to pretty much guarantee a haunt from the new set, and that is indeed what we got. It was a fairly odd Haunt, with some unique rules that could generate some pretty hilarious situations. Unfortunately one of the players (a first, and last, timer to the group) was as boring as could be and didn't get the point. I think he would have been happier trading in the Mediterranean. The traitor won, and overall it was a decent round. I wish I got to play this game more than once a year.

Next was Run, Fight, or Die!, which I always enjoy. I like its combination of choices and random.

Finally was Till Dawn, which was decent fun. It's a nice game that doesn't take too long and has some decent screwage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, JEM

More
23 Oct 2016 22:08 #236733 by Vlad
We had a great game of Dune-Rex. As you may know, a week ago I was ready to spread the Rex-is-better-than-Dune heresy. After some very well construed comments on this forum, I might have to take it back, or at least need to play a game (or two or ten) of orthodox Dune again to back this statement. Until then, I’m not going to say Rex is better than Dune, but it is a damn good game. Anyway, we played a Dune re-theme of Rex, here is an image of the map just to give an idea:

It is a 4-player (so Habbanya Sietch is out of play), with Atreides, Harkonnen, Emperor and Bene Gesserit. I’ve played at least 20 games with four player, and this is the setup I personally like best: 1 financially strong faction and 3 good fighters. Early in the game, it is usually Atreides and BG trying to impress the Emperor, with whoever not in bed with House Corrino, allying to Harkonnen, but after the first Nexus it becomes pretty unpredictable.

The only house rule is that each player has 3 diplomacy tokens: each can be used to talk to another player for 3 minutes max, and exchange spice (otherwise, spice may only change hands on Nexus or through Emperor’s special ability). This is basically to save time, we have only 3 hrs. to play (babysitting arrangements).
My wife is as experienced as I am. We’re playing with a couple of friends who are new to boardgaming (it’s their 3rd game), but both are pretty sharp, have a good sense of humor and are familiar with Dune universe.

I draw the Emperor and immediately start to boss around (I just need to be called the “Most Sublime Padishah”), to which my wife (Atreides) replies that she doesn’t recognize my title and won’t ally me ever because basic moral principles. She looks serious, so I decide to keep Thufir Hawat as my traitor.

First round, the spice blows right between Arrakeen and Carthag and another one very close to Polar Sink, right into BG’s hands. Harkonnen go for spice and deploy into Sietch Tabr. Unexpectedly, Atreides decide not to contest the blow with Harkonnen and occupy Tuek’s Sietch instead. I deploy half of my troops on the rocks close to Tuek’s Sietch, so to possibly take over it on the next turn.

Second turn. BG and Harkonnen, both rich now, get 3 cards between the two of them. Atreides is laughably poor. I acquire a Thumper. This is not going well. For fighting purposes, I only have a shield, that’s not enough to face the Atreides at Tuek’s. And I am starting to worry that BG might actually prefer to ally Harkonnen, because they’re both drunk on spice and treachery cards. But, pleasant surprise, they get into a squabble over one of the spice blows. BG dispatches the Harkonnen with ease, mainly because the Baron(ess) did not play any cards (I suspect she was hoping for BG to use one of her traitors). I manage to get the other one, uncontested because Atreides is still wasting time.

Third turn starts with a Nexus. I graciously spit on my hand and offer it to Bene Gesserit, but the witches reply with an annoying “We don’t think you’re the Kwisatz Haderach… at least not yet.” Who the hell do they think IS the Kwisatz Haderach? It turns out that the goddamn Baroness Harkonnen. “Why the fuck?” – I want to ask, but that wouldn’t be regal, so I just offer my still wet palm to my wife. She reminds she made a solemn promise not to ally me. Perhaps 10 spice will change her most gracious and noble mind? She says 15 will do. Good enough… at least the most Sublime Emperor and the richest man on Dune, has not ended up unallied on the first Nexus.

The bidding goes pretty well. Atreides gives some sign tips that allow me to acquire a snooper and a stunner. But the Baroness has 7 cards by now and BG is at 3, so who knows. The military campaign is pretty much a stalemate. I attempt to disembark at Tabr, while Atreides go for Carthag and, for the first time, at the spice blow. Long story short, Harkonnen reinforces at Tabr and voices me not to use a projectile – seeing that I cannot win this one, I dial up the wheel, use a low leader and no cards. They also beat Atreides at Carthag. BG deploys at Tuek’s (but then declares he won’t attack) and goes for another spice blow.

Fourth turn, Atreides and I spend a token to have a quick war council. We decide she’ll leave Tuek’s to me (since I still have half of my forces dying of boredom next to it), reinforce Arrakeen and attempt another attack on Carthag. But she asks me if I have a safe leader, now that her safe Duncan has been relieved of his water by Harks. I say “Thufir Hawat”. She says “you drew my fucking leader, seriously, not a Hark?” What she means is that in this setup, the Emperor is very unlikely to strike and alliance with Harkonnens. I quickly decide to play on that: “of course I drew I Hark, I put Thufir back in the deck” as casually as possible. By the looks of her, she believes me, which could be very useful in the future. That is, if Hawat survives.

Turn Five. Hawat survived, and Carthag is ours. Unfortunately, “ours” is a relative term, because there’s another Nexus. At this point, I am happy with Atreides, we only have one more stronghold to capture to win the game… and, of course, this is when BG plays “The Cone of Silence” on me, so I can’t be a part of any alliance in this Nexus. To my utter surprise, the most outraged party at this unroyal treatment of the most sublime Emperor is… the Baroness.

Turns out she’s angry at her ally because BG has done an “unsportsmanlike” and “vile” thing. (sic) “You took poor Emperor out of the game” – at first, I take it she’s serious and doesn’t understand how this game works. The Baroness keeps venting out about “how low the Bene Gesserit have fallen” and how she “hates dishonesty”, etc. Atreides picks up on the tune and both women start pointing fingers at BG’s leader as if he was the worst person in the universe, and then promptly ally each other, with a solemn promise to teach him a lesson for this treachery. I tell the Duchess and the Baroness that they should go into real politics. BG looks confused, and only mutters under his nose that he passed over 20 spice to Harks in the last 2 turns, a circumstance that the rest of us happen to find hilarious.

Anyway, with 3 strongholds controlled by Atreides-Harkonnen now, it is obvious they will go on the offense. What makes matters worse, BG does not have a clear shot at any stronghold, and the bidding round leaves him penniless. So, after the Atreides make their move, leaving only 3 tokens to guard Arrakeen and the rest aimed at Tuek’s, the BG spends a diplomacy token to talk to me.

“I know I screwed up,” the leader of the sisters starts with a sorry face. “But if you want to save the game, I think our only shot is for me to deploy to Arrakeen”.

I know what that means, so I hand him 6 spice, which he uses to land 3 witches into Atreides’ stronghold. This is not necessary, because I manage to beat the Atreides at Tuek’s – although at a great expense, since she doesn’t use Thufir against me (turned out, she never believed me when I said he was back in the deck). However, Arrakeen turns out to be even more devastating – the Atreides provoke a lasgun-shield incident, leaving the stronghold up for grabbing. Jessica and her daughter Alia are among the confirmed victims of the explosion, as well as 3 treachery cards.

Round 6 there’s another Nexus. After a quick survey of the situation, I send a diplomatic envoy to the Baroness. We have cards, we have troops, 2 strongholds (with Arrakeen empty) and more spice than anyone else. Atreides are at less than half of their strength, only one card and no spice. BG has more troops, but lost 2 cards in the recent lasgun-shield incident and is as poor as a humble sister should be. My pitch: "The Harkonnen and the Emperor, as it was always meant to be, we can do it."

The Baroness replies that she doesn’t want to face an adversary with both Prescience and Voice. I try to convince her that without cards nor troops those advantages are only marginally useless, but she’s afraid. “Fear is the mindkiller,” I remind her gravely. “Whatever,” she replies, although I don’t think that’s a quote from any of the books.

Having failed to impress the Baroness, and feeling kind of pathetic, I turn to BG again. “I’m OK by myself,” he replies. This is truly demeaning. The next card is another Nexus. “Let’s do it,” BG says magnanimously. “I’m ready to ally you.” He looks tired. I remember my thoughts: poor guy, he’s too exhausted to even think anymore.

Atreides abandon Carthag to the Baroness, move and deploy all of their remaining troops to mine a huge spice blow (multiplied by harvester), which also happens to be in the vicinity of Tuek’s. This happens to be their last military action in the game, since I make good use of my old Thumper.

Turn 7: It seems like we are close to victory... BUT, the BG is supposed to take Tabr away from Harkonnen, and yet he fails, even after I engage the Harkonnen myself at Carthag and make them lose a snooper. The Atreides are checking Trump’s tweeter account, interrupting and annoying whenever possible.

Turn 8: I go after Tabr myself, even though the Harks have more troops there (Atreides gave them all their spice) than I can possibly send from Carthag or ship. However, I have both weapons, a snooper, and voice the Harkonnen not to use a projectile. The problem is, Feyd Rautha is still alive, and I am pretty sure the Atreides have communicated to their ally their suspicion about my traitor (damn you, Thufir Hawat, you’ve been less than useful). So, I need to take out their leader to win. And they have the Voice, courtesy of Atreides, and 5 cards in their hand. This is not going to work, I think in desperation, just as the Bene Gesserit lands a Karama in front of the Baroness and deny her the Prescience.

Well done, BG, it was about damn time. Now, what should I use – the Stunner or the Gom Jabbar? I look into the discards. There are 3 Snoopers and 2 shields. I have one Snooper. There are 5 of each defense in the deck. Chances are, she doesn’t have a snooper. The Atreides lean over the Harkonnen: “You lost a snooper before, right?” my wife asks the Baroness in a whisper.

“You want to talk, spend a token,” the BG points out sullenly. The Atreides apologize.

Something is wrong here. That whisper was just a little too loud, as if I was meant to hear it. And why would you want to inform your ally of her weakness before the battle? My mind goes back to the fight when the Harkonnen lost their snooper – why did they even use it? They didn’t use a weapon and were going to lose the fight anyway. Now it seems obvious: she used a snooper to free a slot because she had another one.

Feeling like a bad-ass Mentat, I play my Stunner and Shield. She reveals a Snooper and a Crysknife. Feyd Rautha is dead. Tabr is ours.

As my ally and I shake hands, he presses a piece of paper into my palm and smiles at me. “You’re our Kwisatz Haderach after all, Emperor,” he says quietly. Scribbled on the paper their goddamn prediction: “Emperor, Turn 8”.

More
23 Oct 2016 22:12 #236734 by Vlad
I don't know why, but the map doesn't show up. Will try to fix it tomorrow

More
24 Oct 2016 07:54 #236742 by JEM
A double dose of Brimstone, of which more in that other topic.

Saturday hit the ground running with a five player game of Chaos in the Old World. One of the players could only play one game before heading home, so he picked that, and when asked, chose to play Nurgle. He was a little taken aback when looking at the Mordsleib cards and upgrades. Due to the seating order, that made me the Horned Rat, which I won with last time. All five of us knew the game so there wasn't any more than reminders on the rules, which was a great help.

Khorne started Brettonia, Nurgle hid down in Kislev, Slaanesh camped out in Norsca/Troll Country, Tzeench in Tilea, and I went where the rats were, setting up in The Border Princes, with access to the skaven in The Empire, and a nice little 2 point farm in Badlands.

I was pulling in a decent amount of points in my corner, and especially when I was able to move out to The Empire, and farm those five points for a couple of turns. Nurgle seemed to be having a terrible time of it trying to make Kislev and Troll Country work for him (seemed, being the word), Khorne was basically out of it, being denied dial ticks and not dominating anywhere, dropping his big guy in empty areas and whatnot. Of course everyone was pointing at my rats being ahead in scoring, more so when I was able to decamp all my Badlands Rats to Norsca to jump on the ruination train and hit 42 points at the end of turn four. That push turned out to be a mistake on my part, because now my rats were camped up in a dead spot. It would have been smarter to send only one to milk the three points for joining in. So that was more or less the end of my run of points. Tzeench and Slaanesh both pushed past me in points and Nurgle, who'd been the subject of much abuse from purple daemonettes and a keeper in Kislev, grabbed over 20 points in round five to win the game with 56. Without Provender even. He was as surprised as any of us that he won, but he got the lion's share of late ruination leader points.

I really, really love this game. And strongly tempted to sell on Blood Rage, which is like the Tab Clear version.

Terraforming Mars was next- four of us who have all played at least once before. We did the non-beginner corps and we did drafting in the research phases. I went with the Mining Guild, and had a decent handful of building cards that would work nicely. Score-wise I did fine with 61 points, having grabbed Builder, Mayor Milestones and Miner award, but the winner was the player who laid out that almost perfect pattern of cities and supporting forests, for 71 points in total. I saw it happening, but felt I had other priorities at the time, but I'm starting to realize that there's no reason necessarily to build as soon as you can- You can take as many actions in a round as you can afford to do. So, as long as you know you won't be blocked, you could just save a lot of money/cards for a later round and blitz the tile laying game. Of course, the game incentivizes you to do otherwise, as most building/cards advance your engine in some way and you don't want to miss out on income or points, but there's a timing aspect that can be exploited, I think.

Two of us set up a new level 1 game of Brimstone, in which two more joined in shortly after setup. One of them was keen on playing the game but we were wary because he's annoying in Zombicide never paying attention until his turn. Sure enough, I ended up telling him I was sick of saying everything twice because he's on facebook or whatever. The game itself was great, through and the other guy was really interested in playing more. We have six in the regular group now though, so I don't know if we'll do much Saturday sessions of it. We'll see.

That guy was game to try out Gorechosen so we played a two player, two character team game, with random dudes. He got both the guys with the range 2 attacks. Also I need to paint the figures because they just look like spiky grey plastic dudes. I really liked the system. The initiative draw reminded me a lot of 1775, the cards a bit of Star Wars Risk. Of course I pulled that injury card on one of my guy's fist injuries. Opponent rolls a number of dice equal to the injury markers on the guy (one) and if any sixes rolled- decapitated outright. One die, six pips. Of course! I had no problem with it. I was able to get his big anvil swinging guy down to one hit point but couldn't finish him off, so my survivor was beaten down pretty firmly. Would love to play this with four, and would love to expand it out to non-khorne characters.

It was a great Saturday for games- all killer, no filler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Msample, Columbob, Da Bid Dabid, aaxiom, stoic

More
24 Oct 2016 09:30 #236752 by Gary Sax
That is a god damned magnificent game day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom, JEM

More
24 Oct 2016 09:31 #236753 by Mr. White
Lately, I've been wondering if I should get in on Shadows of Brimstone. I really dig the American Old West as a setting, yet don't have any games placed there. Granted, I only have like six games, but I always enjoyed playing Deadlands or GWs Legends of the Old West. I just don't know if I can justify it with Silver Tower.

I've been trying to tell myself that Dark Future Can be my 'wild west' game, and can't wait to start modelling in that universe again, but being in the...well...future it's not quite the same.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.140 seconds