October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
16 Oct 2018 22:41 #283175 by Hadik
Camp Grizzly is a new one for me. Four games prepping for the game group tomorrow night. It’s been a hit with the family - the wife and two teen boys had a loud game with a lot of laughs. Maybe not as meaty as I would have hoped but perfect for a quick and fun nostalgic romp in the woods at night.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, engineer Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2018 07:11 #283250 by san il defanso
I've been watching a lot of Doctor Who with my sons, so my oldest and I played Doctor Who: Time of the Daleks this evening. It was my first time playing in a while, so it was fun to dust it off. My son really enjoyed the die-rolling mechanic, and we had a lot of fun recognizing things from episodes he's seen, since he's mostly experienced the Eleventh and Twelfth Doctors. We had to bail because bedtime was coming up, but he asked to play again this weekend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, engineer Al, WadeMonnig

More
18 Oct 2018 08:57 #283254 by Legomancer
Yellow and Yangtze is the real deal, y'all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, stormseeker75, san il defanso, GorillaGrody

More
20 Oct 2018 13:53 #283648 by Shellhead
Went to the annual Spooky edition of a monthly boardgame event I started going to two months ago. The beer snob group. We started with three player, then six players and then finally eight.

The hosts and I played Cthulhu Fluxx. I hadn't played Fluxx before. It was fast-moving, thinly-themed chaos of a filler game. The host dude enjoyed it, but his girlfriend and I were impatient to finish the game ASAP as three more people showed up. Shortly after we went through the whole deck and shuffled, I lucked into a winning combination of cards, and played them without immediately realizing that I had won. I played a new victory condition, and it just happened that I already had one of the needed cards in play and then played the other one. I don't like Fluxx, and the Cthulhu theme didn't really matter.

With six, we played Betrayal at House on the Hill. One player was completely not interested because she didn't have fun the other time she played it. Meanwhile, the host wanted to pressure her into playing and also wanted to break the shrink wrap on the Widow's Walk expansion and put that in the mix. (The host is a long-term role-player who got into boardgames several years ago, and tends to buy the popular modern AT games that they talk about more at BGG.) The host's girlfriend brokered a compromise where the other woman would play if we left out the expansion.

Game goes on a longer than usual, so we get a fairly big house before the haunting starts. We managed to get a scenario that I haven't played before (Madman/Servants Quarters), where the whole house has been carried away by a giant bird the size of a 747. There are six of us and only 3 parachutes (wtf parachutes in this house). The two ladies are on the second floor, and they both quickly find 2 of the 3 parachutes. That left the other four of us fighting over the remaining parachute on the first floor. It was a long die-rolling contest, because most of us had the same Might and Knowledge, the two stats that could be used to take a chute away from another player. Also, three of the players had a Speed of 3 or 4, which meant that even if they managed to hold onto to the chute after the other three players try to take it, they could only move one room towards an exit from the house. I had a Speed of 7, so when I finally managed to hang on to the chute for a whole turn, I was able to get to the exit. Better still, I made the Sanity roll to jump on the first try and got away safely.

The host mentioned Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and people wanted to play. He had the modern Buffy game and I brought the original, so we broke into two four-player games. By coincidence, both tables ended up playing season three (the Mayor), and I just finished binge-watching that season a few days ago. Our table had a surprisingly bloodless game. Willow managed to find the Box and destroy it with the proper spell shortly before Faith would have likely killed her. In fact, nobody got killed except the Mayor, and then only because we destroyed the Box. I think the whole game ended on turn four or maybe five. The other group took a lot longer, but eventually also defeated the Mayor.

Our same group of four played Pandemic Cthulhu. I like Lovecraft Country, and this board had all four towns (Arkham, Dunwich, Kingsport, Innsmouth), but they were really just names associated with groupings of colored circles representing locations in each town. The game had nice production values, but it was ultimately a thinly-rethemed Pandemic, so it was meh. We won fairly easily, with only three Great Old One cards flipped. I liked it slightly more than regular Pandemic, but still not very much. We finished right around the same time as the other Buffy game ended. Then we called it a night.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, WadeMonnig

More
20 Oct 2018 14:17 #283650 by WadeMonnig
That particular scenario in Betrayal at the house on the hill was possibly the most successful one we've ever got. It was simple enough that the game didn't drag reading up on it and had some excitement stealing and running. Wish they all went this smoothly.

More
20 Oct 2018 18:27 #283662 by WadeMonnig
The Mind Played this a handful of times. A three player game went over completely. Tried a four player game the next night and one player just wasn't getting it. They never got into the zen feel of the game and it just tanked and we lost quickly the few times we player. Think level 8 was our best in the 3 player game but it was a blast.

Tournament at Camelot Just rediscovered this on my shelf. Had a few amazing 3 and 4 player games. Two player games have been a bit lacking. Has a few hiccups, all pretty much based on the Godsend cards. The FAQ on BGG pretty much says it all. If you have a laundry list of questions about various cards, it could run smoother. Still, a fantastic game just not as slick as I would like.

Whitehall Mystery Bought this as a introduction to Hidden Movement. Only managed one game so far but I really enjoyed it (Played as Jack), however the wife just wasn't digging it. Had some insanely close calls when they were stalking me. Managed to drop all 4 body parts with them literally giving me just the single path I needed to get to my final spot. Really want to play it again, I think playing as an investigator will give me a chance to explain a few more capture techniques (yea, I didn't share well when they were stalking me).

King of Tokyo had an Epic 6 player game of this with my daughter and her new boyfriend, who turns out to be a D&D kid. He was running a good economy engine and even called it such, so had to target him with both barrels. Dragged myself down to one health setting it up but nailed him with 7 damage then played the Evolution card that didn't allow him to leave Tokyo until my next turn and only allowed all other players to roll ONCE per turn. Of course, he took damage from the two players before him, leaving him with one health where he proceeded to kill me and hit everyone with a acid spit. My daughter took him out next turn, claimed the astronaut card (17 VP to win) and won the game. It was a total blast, he said he couldn't wait to play some other games. FYI: Never play 6 player KOT, it just two too many people LOL
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
21 Oct 2018 01:47 - 21 Oct 2018 01:48 #283677 by hotseatgames
The annual Halloween game night was tonight. Two players didn't make it, leaving us with 4. We started with the star of the show, Betrayal at House on the Hill. Things were off to a fine start, but went off the rails when the haunt started almost immediately. Three omens came out in a row, with the third kicking off the haunt. The house was barely explored. This ended up to the heroes' benefit, and it was a relatively quick game. Bummer.

Next up was Zombie Town. This is a decent, yet flawed, game. Players move around houses on the edges of the board, acquiring guns and survivors, while occasionally killing some zombies and completing secret objectives. The most fun is moving zombies towards your enemies, but if they are not completely reckless, this usually has minimal effect. I'd say the biggest offense this game commits is making the zombies really not much of a threat. It's not unpleasant to play, but not terribly thrilling either.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2018 01:48 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, WadeMonnig

More
21 Oct 2018 14:29 #283692 by SaMoKo
More Terra Mystica, which is now a favourite of the group. It’s not the most exiting game, but continues to grow on me with each play (I’m at over a dozen games now). I’d rather play something more fun, even for a Euro; this is an incredibly finicky forward planning game where miscalculating resource needs three turns ahead or screwing up action priority can easily determine the game.

Meanwhile, the wife and I are marching along with Pandemic Legacy. The most fun I’ve ever had with Pandemic for sure, but after the campaign I’ll likely have all of the system I can take for a while lol.

Had a few more games of Cosmic and a game of El Grande. Fury of Dracula should be arriving soon, which sounds like it will be fantastic!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
21 Oct 2018 14:41 #283693 by Black Barney
Lol, must have a good record against his sister* or something

I’ve got one of those records in Twilight Struggle and it’s going to be devastating when I eventually lose, especially if it’s in 15 minutes to Europe Scoring or something. Ack!

*this is more of an age joke than a gender joke

More
21 Oct 2018 17:22 #283696 by Black Barney

wkover wrote:

Stonecutter wrote: I have always loved Stratego. I still think it's the best of all of the classic games. Better than Risk, even.

Stratego was probably my most-played game as a kid. Others included Survive!, Dungeon Dice, Mastermind, NFL Quarterback, Superstar Baseball (ancients version w/ Babe Ruth cover), and Risk.

My favorite Stratego memory:

While I was in a grad school, one of my grad colleagues bragged that he had never lost a game of Stratego. Like, ever. So he brought his copy down the next day and I brutally massacred him in 15 minutes over lunch. Ah, good times.

Also, we never played again (his choice).

Lol, this is the post I was replying to just above. Sorry guys, I must have been tired. There’s no dates when you TWBG by mobile device
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
21 Oct 2018 17:35 #283697 by WadeMonnig
Played a quick three player game of Kemet with the daughter and boyfriend. Was pretty focused on teaching and was prepared to unleash the next round when my daughter politely informed me she had won (8 point beginner game). A great time, per usual. She requested Black Fleet as the next game to teach him when we game again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, engineer Al

More
21 Oct 2018 18:01 #283698 by repoman
Black Fleet is the most underrated game of all time. At least it is everywhere but around here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, Frohike, engineer Al, WadeMonnig

More
21 Oct 2018 18:25 #283699 by WadeMonnig

repoman wrote: Black Fleet is the most underrated game of all time. At least it is everywhere but around here.

The Dice Tower did a top 10 pirate games of all time and somehow managed to NOT include Black Fleet. Insanity.

More
21 Oct 2018 18:44 #283700 by repoman

WadeMonnig wrote:

repoman wrote: Black Fleet is the most underrated game of all time. At least it is everywhere but around here.

The Dice Tower did a top 10 pirate games of all time and somehow managed to NOT include Black Fleet. Insanity.

Dice Tower, the podcast that gave a positive review to perhaps the worst board game I have ever played, The X-files? The podcast that said Space Cadets: Away Missions was probably an ok game for children? Can't say I'm surprised. Also, is Francis Drake even a pirate game?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
21 Oct 2018 18:55 #283701 by Michael Barnes
The publisher of Black Fleet probably didn’t buy the promo package that included the Top 10 slot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, jpat, hotseatgames, engineer Al, GorillaGrody

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.022 seconds