October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
25 Sep 2011 11:27 #104277 by Notahandle
Just lost my Kickstarter virginity: Carnival - A deck and dice game.

That's what I posted in the "What boardgames have you been BUYING?" thread. The next day it occurred to me that it's probably worthwhile for F:AT to have a dedicated Kickstarter thread.

So, Carnival. I saw it a while ago, no impulse pledge, but kept checking back to see if there were updates. Clearly, something about it had attracted me: there aren't many games with a circus setting, it's a filler and non-gamer friendly, has lovely art, and Circus Train has been talked about a lot here on F:AT so that must have made me more aware of the game. I liked the thought put into the design, e.g. the cards you remove for 2-3 player games are indicated by white tipped ribbon flags, the ones you keep are uniformly coloured. It's subtle, needs no separate icon because it's part of the illustration. That's great design.

I also liked the rules, you can discard with limitations or roll the dice to determine what actions you can perform. then build cards to your play area to start making sets. You have some tickets that allow you to alter dice or block a player. Rules are here.

What's also interesting about Carnival is that Dice Hate Me Games - now there's a name any Ameritrasher can appreciate - set a goal of $5,000 and it's currently at $28,000 and I have no doubt that it'll hit $30,000 soon. What do you do when your project makes six times what you'd budgeted or? The first update states $5,000 would cover the cost of 500 games. The second update, as funding approaches $10,000, adds a tote bag for the dice. Update nine adds an extra custom dice. However, it strikes me that a bag and a die isn't going to soak up five-sixths of the budget. Let's say you up the component quality, assume that economies of scale balance the extras (the tote and die). That leaves increasing the print run as the main way of using all the money. But if you originally expected to sell 500 and you have six times this, would you print 3,000? Alien Frontiers only near-tripled it's goal and we all know how that went. So I would predict that Carnival can safely print as many copies as possible and be confident that they'll sell. All in all, an amazing start for a new company's first game.

What's your Kickstarter story?
The following user(s) said Thank You: dicehateme

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2011 13:49 #104289 by SuperflyPete
I want to do a kickstarter campaign for this: www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/75813/beyond-the-fall

Man I'd love to get this to market. I've had 9 people play this, and of all of them, 1 was "Meh" (we'll call him Dominionhead) and one hated it because it was too sinister. There's a choice in the game where you can either save a baby and deliver it to a place for a reward or eat it and gain a food resource and a victory point.

More
25 Sep 2011 15:22 #104297 by jeb
I like the idea of funding a game's production a lot. That's basically what TITAN was for Valley Games and I didn't have as much of a problem with this as others.

I am in on:

CARNIVAL -- noted in Notahandle's post . This is getting annoying, as I feel they are flogging for more $$$.
DICE AGE -- Guy is making custom cool dice. Not a lot of game there yet, but hey, what can ya do.
GLORY TO ROME -- I am a graphic design snob and I hate the shit out of the original version. I am glad to fund anything that makes it better.
FEALTY -- Looks like a decent FEUDAL replacement. My daughter likes FEUDAL, but I don't, so I want to sneak this into rotation.
ANGOLA -- This thing would have been better as a KickStarter than a p500.

More
25 Sep 2011 17:47 #104315 by dicehateme

jeb wrote: CARNIVAL -- noted in Notahandle's post . This is getting annoying, as I feel they are flogging for more $$$.

First of all, jeb, thanks for your support since day one. It's been a good campaign, and our early backers have really helped us out immensely. I'm sorry if you feel as though we're being annoying, but our updates and encouragement serve two purposes: 1) To maintain enthusiasm among our current backers and provide production information throughout the campaign, and 2) to demonstrate to potential backers that we are dedicated and passionate about Carnival and what we're trying to do as a company.

In regards to the money issue brought up in your comments, Notahandle was on the right track with distribution of funds already gathered, but there probably needs to be some clarification and transparency. First up and honestly, yes, additional funding is not an unwelcome thing. We are trying to start a company, and we can't do that without seed capital; we're straight up about that in our Kickstarter video. However, what we have received so far has been amazing and has far exceeded our expectations, and if our campaign ended today, we would walk away grateful and extremely humbled by the support.

As far as the distribution of funds, Notahandle is mostly correct in his breakdown, but here are further details: Our initial goal of $5,000 would have covered about half of what we had hoped to be our initial print run of Carnival. The rest would have come out of my personal savings that was invested as starting funds for Dice Hate Me Games. Had we not reached our goal, we would have had to decide whether to invest more, save more and wait, or simply abandon the project. After those first few days when the goal was reached and we got above $10,000, it was clear that we could proceed with printing, and consider a larger print run with upgraded components. We had to go on faith that we might receive more funds to help cover these expenses, but if not, we decided that we were willing to make up the costs in any way possible so that Carnival could be of the quality that we expect when we buy games. Eventually, we decided on a 2,000-print run of Carnival with the best card stock and punchboard components available to our printer. The Ticket Tote and Wild Die were added and factored into the overall available funds we would receive after the campaign.

Again, thanks to you and Notahandle for your support of Carnival - Cherilyn and I truly appreciate it. This experience will enable us to share a great game, and hopefully many more after; an example of what we have felt the mission of Kickstarter embodies since its inception.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
25 Sep 2011 17:58 #104317 by wice

SuperflyTNT wrote: I want to do a kickstarter campaign for this: www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/75813/beyond-the-fall

Man I'd love to get this to market. I've had 9 people play this, and of all of them, 1 was "Meh" (we'll call him Dominionhead) and one hated it because it was too sinister. There's a choice in the game where you can either save a baby and deliver it to a place for a reward or eat it and gain a food resource and a victory point.

Wow, it sounds cool, and judging by the cards, it's highly thematic. There is this "Dog" card, that needs to be fed each turn, but helps you in combat; it can be discarded any time for two meat. It reminds me of the fake "Puppy Planet" Battlestar Galactica card.

More
25 Sep 2011 18:07 - 25 Sep 2011 18:08 #104318 by Notahandle
SuperflyTNT wrote:
" I want to do a kickstarter campaign for this: www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/75813/beyond-the-fall "
Never figured you as a guy with premature ejaculation problems, Pete. Or to put it another way, pull your finger out and go for it.
(I like the card layout, by the way, nice stylistic contrast between flavour text and game info.)

Jeb: Dice Age sounded too wacky and more toy than game; I missed Glory to Rome and Fealty didn't persuade me. The Manhatten Project sounded interesting until I got to the worker placement crap, such a turn off for the setting.

dicehateme: Hi, welcome, glad you followed my link and decided to register.

dicehateme wrote:
" Had we not reached our goal, we would have had to decide whether to invest more, save more and wait, or simply abandon the project."
I'm curious about the latter two. Do the Kickstarter rules allow you to wait or abandon once the project is successful? Surely there's an obligation to proceed? But presumably their rules are predicated on the goal covering all the costs. From what you say yours didn't, so would that put you in an awkward position with them?

" This experience will enable us to share a great game, and hopefully many more after; an example of what we have felt the mission of Kickstarter embodies since its inception."
Unlike Hiatts shamefull perversion of the system.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2011 18:08 by Notahandle.

More
25 Sep 2011 18:26 #104321 by dicehateme

Notahandle wrote: dicehateme wrote:
" Had we not reached our goal, we would have had to decide whether to invest more, save more and wait, or simply abandon the project."
I'm curious about the latter two. Do the Kickstarter rules allow you to wait or abandon once the project is successful? Surely there's an obligation to proceed? But presumably their rules are predicated on the goal covering all the costs. From what you say yours didn't, so would that put you in an awkward position with them?

The latter two are in reference to if we did not reach our initial $5,000 goal before the 45-day campaign ended. If that happens, a Kickstarter project is not funded and no backers are charged for their pledges. This would simply mean that we'd be left trying to completely the fund the game ourselves or regroup and try for another Kickstarter campaign at a later date.

At no time would we ever consider backing out of the project once we reached our goal - in fact, Cherilyn and I are dedicated to the game enough that we would have likely found a way to make it happen even if the Kickstarter campaign had failed. Thankfully, it has been quite the opposite! There is no going back - Carnival is at the printer right now, and, barring any printing delays, we hope to have copies into Kickstarter backers' hands before the holidays (cross your fingers).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle, jeb, Dr. Mabuse

More
25 Sep 2011 19:14 #104331 by Notahandle
Excellent news! I'm looking forward to it more and more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dicehateme

More
26 Sep 2011 20:51 - 26 Sep 2011 20:58 #104405 by Xlyce
Reunion - a horror film by Cryptid, cause it sounded neat
Rolling Freight - by Ape Games (cause I am a train whore)
Oh My God, theres an Axe in my Head - someone here reviewed it and gave it a good value
Glory to Rome - cause I like the game
To Catch a Dollar: Muhammad Yunus Banks on America - a film about Kiva and I have been a member of Kiva for about 4 years. It makes sense to me to loan money to people that need it to build themselves a better life.
Carnival - I just read about it and it looks non gamer friendly enough for me to teach to newbies
Last edit: 26 Sep 2011 20:58 by Xlyce.

More
26 Sep 2011 22:08 #104419 by MattFantastic
Zombies, Run! I already like doing fitness crap all the time, seems like it would be a fun thing to run with for a while and is also just an awesome idea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
26 Sep 2011 22:35 #104424 by jeb
I backed ZOMBIES RUN as well. I need something to motivate moving my fat ass around. Flesh eating zombie hordes should do nicely.

More
12 Oct 2011 21:43 - 12 Oct 2011 21:45 #105416 by Notahandle
Miskatonic School for Girls.

I'm keeping an eye on this. Amusing premise, looks great, but no rules yet. (Sorry guys, it's a deckbuilder, but with a unique mechanism.)

At the moment I don't own a deckbuilder that gets played, just the original Dominion which I'd gladly sell trade. Basically, I've yet to find one that seems compelling enough to buy.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2011 21:45 by Notahandle.

More
12 Oct 2011 22:40 #105420 by Sagrilarus
Angola is on Kickstarter?

S.

More
12 Oct 2011 22:57 #105421 by jeb
No, I just listed it there because p500's work like a shitty KS campaign, I swear.

More
13 Oct 2011 12:51 #105442 by Sagrilarus

jeb wrote: No, I just listed it there because p500's work like a shitty KS campaign, I swear.

Dude, quit getting my hopes up. People on Kickstarter actually print games. From now on if you're going to do that tap your nose or something.

S.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.428 seconds