October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
07 May 2012 08:16 #124709 by schlupp

Notahandle wrote: I got back to Zombicide this morning; wow, has it added a lot of stretch goals. So I pledged: Abomination + extra boards + white dice + the four optional figures, i.e. everything.

Fuck. Guess what, me too. :/

Yes, no rules, but the extras and the example of play let me pull the trigger in the end.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2012 10:23 #124711 by Notahandle
tscook wrote:
" Zombicide doesn't have rules released. Why the fuck are people ordering it?"
That was a concern; they obviously have rules because they've been demoing Zombicide at conventions, so why not make them available, text only, clearly labelled "DRAFT"? Except, they could do better than that as one of the videos shows a very nicely done rule book. I figure it was just a bad decision, rather than them having anything to hide. And the game play video said enough to convince me to take a punt. Plus, as I said, my backup plan is to use the minis in LNOE.

schlupp wrote:
" Fuck. Guess what, me too. :/"
Me too, too!

I really wasn't expecting to buy it, I passed on Zpocalypse, after all. I was surprised by the vast overfunding: their goal was $20,000 and they netted $781,597 FFS (Zpocalypse gathered just over a quarter of that and Ogre has four days to catch up). So being overwhelmingly successful does give me some confidence to pledge. And like you, so does lots of extras. However, I try not to get sucked into the Stretch Goal hype, which is why I usually only look at the Kickstarters in the last day or so. Then I can be more objective, look at everything as a whole, and decide which pledge, if any, offers good value for money.

As an aside, I did consider dropping the extra boards and getting a second copy of the game, then went on to wonder whether to double everything and get extras of the optional figures, dice, etc as well. In the end I figured that's too much just to get some extra zombie minis. So I did the smart thing and asked: they said that they'll be selling zombie figures from their website. So if I want to double up, I can buy an extra set in six months or so.

But the big question is, how similar will it feel to LNOE? I'm hoping not very.

More
07 May 2012 10:27 #124712 by Notahandle
A prediction: my approach will be very different for the next Kickstarter offering from small box games.
For Tooth & Nail: Factions I'll be pledging on the first day!

More
18 May 2012 00:19 #126017 by wolvendancer
Just backed 'Mad God':

www.kickstarter.com/projects/madgod/phil...tts-mad-god?ref=card

Screw boardgames - this is why Kickstarter is fucking brilliant.

More
18 May 2012 02:18 #126022 by ZMan
<shill>

The Doom That Came to Atlantic City.

I was going to produce it as Z-Man. But when I sold Z-Man I held back a few games and gave the new Z-Man the right of first refusal on the games held back. They refused to do Doom. So I sold the rights to another company and they have it now up on KS.

You want Ameritrash - it is very Ameritrashy! It is NOT monopoloy but makes a great parody of it. You get to be old ones destroying houses on the famed city streets or even fighting each other. Gaining and losing traits, sacrificing cultists and houses to wield great events. You get to open and move through gates, heck there is even a non-euclidian card that lets you move backward!

And the figures are AMAZING! </shill>

More
18 May 2012 03:13 #126028 by Space Ghost
I actually backed this a few days ago -- looks like it will make a great gift for my cousin (and an extra copy for myself, of course).

More
18 May 2012 15:27 #126048 by Shellhead
The Doom That Came to Atlantic City sounds a lot like Necronomonopoly, but apparently these are two separate games.

rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/18826/Necronomonopoly?it=1

More
18 May 2012 17:28 - 18 May 2012 17:31 #126057 by Almalik
The Sentinels of the Multiverse Infernal Relics expansion that just ended because I'm a superhero nut.

The Champions 6th edition Villains vol. 3 hardcover (6 days left, fingers crossed) for the same reason as above.

Also looking at Tammany Hall and the Doom that Came to Atlantic City.

It's tough with some of them because the shipping to Canada wipes out any pre-order savings, so the Extras have got to be what sells the game (which is why I probably won't back tDtCtAC, and wait for retail instead)
Last edit: 18 May 2012 17:31 by Almalik.

More
18 May 2012 18:07 #126061 by Fallen

wolvendancer wrote: Just backed 'Mad God':

www.kickstarter.com/projects/madgod/phil...tts-mad-god?ref=card

Screw boardgames - this is why Kickstarter is fucking brilliant.

Yup, that looks pretty amazing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolvendancer

More
20 May 2012 16:36 - 20 May 2012 16:37 #126163 by Notahandle
I backed the new Sentinels expansion too.

Also Hoplomachus, a gladiator game.
Last edit: 20 May 2012 16:37 by Notahandle.

More
05 Jun 2012 08:29 #127430 by mikko_r
My first ever kickstarter backing and shit do I want to see this movie.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1400780095/the-color-of-noise

More
05 Jun 2012 15:27 #127436 by Dogmatix

mikko_r wrote: My first ever kickstarter backing and shit do I want to see this movie.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1400780095/the-color-of-noise

I knew a couple of guys tengentially involved with AmRep back in the day through the band Tar. Time to go bust out my Dope, Guns, and Fucking in the Streets AmRep compilations! I'll back this one as I'd like to see this movie too...

The other one I just backed was the rebirth of one of my favorite videogames of all time: Carmageddon. Run people down for fun and profit!

www.kickstarter.com/projects/stainlessga.../240017?ref=activity

More
05 Jun 2012 17:07 #127442 by mikko_r
You really know Tar or just dropping names? I still have Handsome and Jackson, which I bought new when it came out. I hereby declare myself northmost Tar fan at 68th parallel north.

More
05 Jun 2012 17:20 - 05 Jun 2012 17:29 #127443 by Dogmatix

mikko_r wrote: You really know Tar or just dropping names? I still have Handsome and Jackson, which I bought new when it came out. I hereby declare myself northmost Tar fan at 68th parallel north.

Badly phrased that line as it was friends of friends in this case--and it's, unfortunately, "knew" rather than "know" these days. When I was living in Milwaukee, a record collector buddy of mine was tightly tied into the Midwest indie scene, including some sort of relations with the guys in both Tar and Helmet. He dropped out of that scene some years back, though, so I dunno if he still has any sort of contact. Another good friend in Chicago had ins with Touch & Go and was also tied in with Tar, Pegboy/Naked Raygun, and Steve Albini. Between the two of them, we could get into just about any AmRep or Touch & Go shows. They were tight with that crowd; I was a hanger-on along for the ride, free beers, and autographs. Got to meet and hang with a lot of those cats though. Problem for me was age--I was under 21 at the time while all my friends were several years older, which meant I couldn't get into a lot of the clubs.

One of my favorite shows of all time was catching Tar with Pegboy in Chicago. Also saw Tar at a club in Milwaukee so small that John Mohr had to spend the whole show crouched over his guitar and mic stand because he'd crack his head on the ceiling if he stood up straight .
Last edit: 05 Jun 2012 17:29 by Dogmatix.

More
05 Jun 2012 18:29 #127447 by Michael Barnes
WTF, I DID NOT expect to come into this thread and see discussion of Tar. I saw Tar several times back in the 1990s, always a great show.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.862 seconds