October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

Latest You Tube videos watched and enjoyed...

More
09 Jan 2021 19:48 #317888 by dysjunct
Yeah, creative editing. The creator's shtick is taking mildly awkward video and turning it into extremely awkward video.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2021 03:51 #317954 by still_c
For me, that's The Batman trailer. I know it's been 4 months since it was released, but it impressed me so much, that I return to it from time to time. I don't add the video cause I think most of you have already watched it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
21 Jan 2021 11:01 #318243 by Ah_Pook
saw this posted over at BGG, thought it was extremely cute. also, this must have taken forever to make.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Hatchling, mezike, cdennett, WadeMonnig

More
21 Jan 2021 12:05 #318245 by mezike
Wonderful stuff, it gave me a case of the feel-goods at the end.

The final thirty seconds gave me flashbacks of turning up with a game at club nights with mixed up bits from three different games replacing half the components :-)

More
28 Feb 2021 21:05 - 28 Feb 2021 21:06 #319855 by DarthJoJo
Been enjoying some violence lately. I have zero interest in either boxing or MMA, but give me some well edited and narrated videos and I'll give you my time. The Modern Martial Artist does breakdowns of individual fights and in-depth analysis of personal techniques and styles, classic and contemporary. Of course I heard Muhammad Ali was the greatest, but it's something else to see him lean out of punches and knock his opponent out while walking backward.

Rossatron's back catalog of video essays on martial arts and action cinema is great, but he finally dipped his toe into an original creation with 'Acéré.' It's five minutes long and worth it.

Last edit: 28 Feb 2021 21:06 by DarthJoJo.

More
28 Feb 2021 21:37 - 28 Feb 2021 21:38 #319856 by san il defanso
A have a weakness for extended video game reviews (Noah Caldwell-Gervais is a favorite of mine, as is Ahoy in the rare event they release new content). So it was probably only a matter of time before I ended up watching Tim Rogers' Action Button reviews. You may have read his work elsewhere, but for video reviews this is a mesmerizing format for me. It's a combination of fascinating writing, surprisingly funny delivery and performance, and interesting commentary.

It's true that all of his reviews are REALLY long, all around the 3 hour mark. His review of dating sim Tokimeki Memorial is nearly 6 hours long, which is really more of a miniseries at that point. I linked to his review of Doom below, since it seemed most relevant to this site. It's deeply indulgent and long-winded, but I kind of love it.

Last edit: 28 Feb 2021 21:38 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
05 Mar 2021 13:49 #320127 by jeb
Stevie Wonder on Sesame Street.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718, Hatchling

More
20 Mar 2021 09:09 #320923 by Ah_Pook
I haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing yet but xavier woods and friends playing Wingspan with Elizabeth Hargrave is Excellent Content

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Varys

More
20 Mar 2021 11:20 #320927 by Gary Sax
Xavier Woods is great.

More
22 Mar 2021 00:23 - 22 Mar 2021 00:24 #321003 by dysjunct

Oh man this is great.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2021 00:24 by dysjunct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
30 Mar 2021 16:25 #321451 by Msample
This guy posts videos on various legal issues/news items. He used to be a regular writer on JALOPNIK, a car enthusiast website. The vids are relatively short and often entertaining.

More
14 May 2021 22:06 - 15 May 2021 01:05 #323153 by Frohike
Ok... there's hope for the video medium when it comes to board game criticism (in the way that folks here have discussed actual *criticism* vs product reviews). I think NPI is on the right track with this format.

Last edit: 15 May 2021 01:05 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
14 May 2021 22:57 - 14 May 2021 22:58 #323154 by dysjunct

I know what men can do when they’re angry.
Last edit: 14 May 2021 22:58 by dysjunct.

More
15 May 2021 06:43 #323155 by Erik Twice

san il defanso wrote: It's true that all of his reviews are REALLY long, all around the 3 hour mark. His review of dating sim Tokimeki Memorial is nearly 6 hours long, which is really more of a miniseries at that point. I linked to his review of Doom below, since it seemed most relevant to this site. It's deeply indulgent and long-winded, but I kind of love it.

I wanted to watch his video on Tokimeki Memorial but I just can't pull myself to spend longer on an analysis of a game than the game itself takes, even if it's not translated.

Frohike wrote: Ok... there's hope for the video medium when it comes to board game criticism (in the way that folks here have discussed actual *criticism* vs product reviews). I think NPI is on the right track with this format.

I appreciate a lot what he's trying to do but I have the same issue I had with his piece on colonialism. He covers a lot of issues and games but his thoughts don't come together well. For example, his bit on Lovecraft is both too short to explain his thoughts and, at the same time, too long to justify the mention.

It also seems he's making a straight connection between the gameplay style of Tomb of Horrors and sexism which I find very questionable. But I'm not sure because I can't quite understand what point is he making. I can infer, but that also runs into other issues. For example, I think his commentary is a bit ahistorical.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, TerryONeill

More
15 May 2021 07:50 #323156 by sornars

Erik Twice wrote: I appreciate a lot what he's trying to do but I have the same issue I had with his piece on colonialism. He covers a lot of issues and games but his thoughts don't come together well. For example, his bit on Lovecraft is both too short to explain his thoughts and, at the same time, too long to justify the mention.

It also seems he's making a straight connection between the gameplay style of Tomb of Horrors and sexism which I find very questionable. But I'm not sure because I can't quite understand what point is he making. I can infer, but that also runs into other issues. For example, I think his commentary is a bit ahistorical.

I think NPI's analysis pieces are much better than their reviews but I do find that they reference and build upon their past body of work in a way that expects the viewer to have seen all of it. That makes them work less well for people who dip in and out for particular videos that happen to go viral. In any case, even if potentially flawed, this content is at least conversation/thought provoking which immediately makes it better than 90% of Youtube Board Game content. I do appreciate that Efka's approach tends to emphasise that these are his thoughts and personal opinions which gives space for polite disagreement, rather than him trying to state things as universal truths.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.450 seconds