October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What COMIC BOOKS have you been reading?

More
03 Nov 2014 00:06 #189746 by faceknives
I've been enjoying The Wicked & The Divine by Kieron Gillen and Jamie Mckelvie a lot. Whether you will probably depends on how you feel about Gillen at his most poncy aging indie kidish. Because it's that turned up to full.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2014 17:22 #190057 by Almalik
Fatale - if you like Brubaker/Philips you've probably already read this. If you don't like them, this won't change your mind.

Fell's Five - comic junk food. If you're craving a straight up D&D comic, this is going to hit the spot.

Secret History Omnibus vol. 3 - finally out after a huge delay. Hopefully the Archaia/Boom merger helps the backlog of Archaia graphic novels and reprints to hit the shelves. I love this series - it's easy to fall down a google rabbit hole while reading it - but the storytelling seems a bit awkward at times.

More
11 Nov 2014 22:52 #190492 by iguanaDitty
So there's an ipad app out called Dime Comics that is a front end for public domain comics from a long time ago. As I look through the list I've never heard of any of this stuff. Anyone have good recommendations from that era?

More
12 Nov 2014 07:03 #190505 by Rafael Silva
Fashion Beast (2012) - It's an adaptation on a movie script Alan Moore wrote to/with Malcolm McLaren based on the Beauty and the Beast tale. Meh, although the setting of the fashion industry was kind of refreshing the story is predictable and concludes abruptly in an anti-climax. Moore does the boy that looks like a girl that looks like a boy better in Halo Jones than in here.

The Invisibles Vol.1 Part 3 - Entropy in the U.K. (1995) - I already read The Invisibles in english, now it's being published for the third time here in Brazil (the first two stopped at Apocalipstick) so I picked it up, I think this is my least favorite part of the Invisibles, at least it has Mister Six.

Yuyu Hakusho - n.1 I already watched the show as a child but never read it. Funny, silly, sexist, waiting to get to the good parts.

Concrete - One of the most sensible comics ever, can't get enough of it.

Cerebus Vol.1 I like the sword and sorcery stuff here, but I prefer the High Society (Vol.2 that I read before) depth.

More
12 Nov 2014 09:06 #190507 by Legomancer

iguanaDitty wrote: So there's an ipad app out called Dime Comics that is a front end for public domain comics from a long time ago. As I look through the list I've never heard of any of this stuff. Anyone have good recommendations from that era?

If you're talking Golden Age (30s-40s) comics that are now in the public domain, honestly, it's all pretty amazing. There weren't any of the standard ideas about comics in play then, so people are going wild with the themes and formats. It's hard to make recommendations because titles change so often and creators are almost never credited, but just poke around and you'll find really cool and fun stuff.

Thanks for the heads-up on this app, grabbing it.

More
26 Jan 2015 12:39 #196161 by Legomancer
What I've read (not including digital) so far in 2015.

More
26 Jan 2015 13:01 #196163 by Shellhead
I recently read five volumes of X-Men tpbs written by Kieron Gillen. Despite the "No More Mutants" whammy by Scarlet Witch many years back that greatly reduced the quantity of mutant characters, the X-Universe remains challenging for any reader who isn't keeping up with all the X-titles. Even so, these were reasonably entertaining issues, starting with Cyclops founding the ludicrously-named Extinction Team and going all the way through the Phoenix-laden aftermath of AvX.

Now that Marvel is heading towards some kind of big continuity reboot, I probably won't bother much with their new comics anymore. The price has gotten so high, and the local library seems to have cut back on their purchases of bound volumes. I grew up as a fan of DC and huge fan of Marvel, but this reboot stuff makes it difficult for me to care about the characters anymore.

More
26 Jan 2015 13:56 #196175 by iguanaDitty

Legomancer wrote: What I've read (not including digital) so far in 2015.

I found Street Angel to be lots of silly fun, have an old edition of it. I would think it would trip all your anti-nerd stuff though.

What's your favorite?

I've been reading and enjoying East of West. Weird but not just for the sake of it, and great art. I think I'm a sucker for anything that has a Western feel with supernatural stuff on top of it (see: Sixth Gun which is a good yarn).

More
26 Jan 2015 14:51 #196188 by Legomancer
Oh, I love Street Angel. It's a lot of fun. I originally bought it as floppies, then got rid of them and only recently grabbed the hardcover. It was great revisiting it.

Apart from that, Usagi Yojimbo, which is always good, and the EC reprints (Zero Hour and Sucker Bait!) not much there blew me away. Lobster Johnson is fun but most of the other Hellboyverse stuff has gotten pretty tedious for me. Cochlea and Eustachia was weird but good. People swear by Nijigahara Holograph but it flew right over my head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty

More
26 Jan 2015 16:09 #196203 by hotseatgames
I've been reading book 3 of Judge Dredd. The stories are enjoyably campy and the art is fantastic. I'll almost certainly be getting other books in the series.

More
10 May 2015 19:02 #202193 by Tim Champlin
I just read a couple trades of Brian Wood's Star Wars comics. I'm usually not to interested in the extended universe but I had heard good things about this series. The comic store didn't have the first volume so I just got volumes 2 and 3. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. I like all of the espionage and political aspects of the plot. Long live the Rebel Alliance, down with the Empire!

More
10 May 2015 19:45 - 10 May 2015 19:46 #202194 by Josh Look

Tim Champlin wrote: I just read a couple trades of Brian Wood's Star Wars comics. I'm usually not to interested in the extended universe but I had heard good things about this series. The comic store didn't have the first volume so I just got volumes 2 and 3. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. I like all of the espionage and political aspects of the plot. Long live the Rebel Alliance, down with the Empire!

The new Marvel stuff, which is being considered canon, is _outstanding_. The main book, Darth Vader, Princess Leia and now Kanan has all been great. Marvel's SW books are the only comics I buy anymore, not even Batman.

Paging Michael Barnes, you should take a look, too.
Last edit: 10 May 2015 19:46 by Josh Look.

More
10 May 2015 21:16 - 10 May 2015 21:16 #202195 by Shellhead
Read the first three volumes of Suicide Risk by Mike Carey at BOOM! Comics. It's okay. Tone reminds me of Irredeemable, while the nature of the story is somewhat like Wanted. There is an interesting idea at the heart of this comic, but mostly it's super-villains getting away with a lot. The artwork is reasonably good, but not great.
Last edit: 10 May 2015 21:16 by Shellhead.

More
10 May 2015 22:04 #202196 by Tim Champlin

The new Marvel stuff, which is being considered canon, is _outstanding_. The main book, Darth Vader, Princess Leia and now Kanan has all been great. Marvel's SW books are the only comics I buy anymore, not even Batman.

Paging Michael Barnes, you should take a look, too.

Definitely looking forward to the Marvel stuff once it gets collected. Why aren't you getting Batman anymore? I've been reading it in trades so I'm about 9 months behind. I've really loved it so far.

More
11 May 2015 08:34 #202203 by Josh Look
Two reasons:

1. I was initially onboard with the New 52, but I've really fallen out of love with it. I'd go so far as to say that it's a melting pot of all the things wrong with comics right now. Everything is dark, violent in the adolescent sense, mysoginistic, and, ultimately, temporary. Batman was less affected by the New 52, but the problem is that they've turned so much of the DCU into some misinterpreted version of Batman. Not all of it needs to be dark. Plus it only provides more fuel for the shitstorm Zack Snyder is cooking up.

2. I miss finding great Batman stories I haven't read yet. My problems with the New 52 aside, I know Scott Snyder's run has been excellent. I want to let it collect for awhile, and when I really want one of those great Batman stories that I've never read, it willbe there waiting for me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.404 seconds