October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BEVERAGE are you drinking?

More
09 Apr 2014 16:06 - 09 Apr 2014 16:07 #175504 by Egg Shen
Alright I couldn't find another thread on this topic. My hopes is that we can get people talking about craft beer or tasty bourbon (or whatever the hell they like drinking). I'm sure most people will talk about beer, but post whatever you want.

I just had a delicious Founder's KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout).

foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/kbs/

This stuff is fan-friggin-tastic. It's got a nice velvety smooth coffee note with just a hint a bourbon. It's a pain in the ass to get but a local place happens to have it on tap. If you can find a bottle, buy it and drink it!
Last edit: 09 Apr 2014 16:07 by Egg Shen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2014 16:12 - 09 Apr 2014 16:16 #175505 by the_jake_1973
I am lucky enough to be in the best place for craft beer, West Michigan. KBS release day is damn near a holiday here.

That said, after traveling in Montana for business, I found that the Lewis and Clark brand puts out some tasty brews. I was not disappointed by any of their labels.

A local place, Schmohz, makes a fantastic ginger beer. It goes well with my rum of choice, Gosling's Black Seal.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2014 16:16 by the_jake_1973.

More
09 Apr 2014 16:13 #175506 by Michael Barnes
Pretty much a nightly G&T using Jack Rudy tonic, which is just stupendous.

More
09 Apr 2014 16:13 #175507 by Black Barney
right this second, I'm just finished a cup of coffee (from 90 minutes ago) and moving onto a cold mug of water that I got from the fountain at work.

The timing of this thread is good for me because I'm in a bit of an alcohol crisis of sorts (and not the type you'd think, thank goodness). In 1995/96 I discovered cider and it became my alcoholic drink of choice when I went out. Sometimes I'd get some single-malt scotch (usually Glenlivet) but mostly it was cider. Takes a while to get through a pint. I can have 2-3 pints and still be able to drive safely.

But recently, and I'm guessing it's age, I haven't been able to hold my liquor at all. I have a couple pints of cider, a shot or two of Jamie and I'm puking at home later on. It happened like 3 times in a row and I never had trouble holding my liquor. I was a 15-year old schoolboy all over again. Disaster.

I noticed that cider was always giving me major heartburn too and ruining my evenings so I've moved away from it. Trying to have scotch more often but that's not great either as the only drink of choice for an evening.

One thing I found from an aggressive sales guy I used to drink with is raspberry vodka on ice. I know it sounds a little non-masculine but I've noticed that girls get super wet seeing a guy drink straight liquor. And it tastes super good. So that's become a great choice but the places I like to drink (pubs) never have it so I almost never get to drink it.

Because of my weak stomach or liver (hope it's not my liver), I think I might just switch to rye&ginger or something. I dunno.

I know one thing, I really don't enjoy drinking anymore. It always makes me feel awful. My doctor took a ton of bloodwork to make sure my liver is okay but he said it's probably just me getting older.

...what was Egg talking about again? Oh yeah, no I don't like beer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
09 Apr 2014 16:16 #175508 by SuperflyPete
Coffee, Water, Midori Sours, and Tanqueray and Tonics.

Everything else is secondary, tangential, and probably a mistake.

More
09 Apr 2014 16:40 #175509 by charlest
Fuck beer. Vodka with coke, or straight on the rocks. Typically Kirkland brand vodka as you can't beat the price.

More
09 Apr 2014 16:49 #175510 by Michael Barnes
There's a Kirkland vodka? Not in Georgia...

Strangely, I've somehow lost the taste for beer. I have not wanted a beer for like a year and the only beer I feel like I could drink would be something like a Sessions ("beer flavored beer"), none of the IPA nonsense that I can't stomach at all, suddenly.

I do still like cider a lot, Cripin's...they do a couple of varieties that are really nice, the honeycrisp one and the one made Sake-style are great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
09 Apr 2014 16:52 #175511 by Ochobee
Beer.

It's what the people who colonized this country brought to drink on the boat because water is evil and will kill you. It feeds and comforts you. It's like bread in a bottle, but better.

And for a semi-mainstream beer, you can't do much better than Stone Levitation Ale. I was so happy to find that it had managed to escape the confines of San Diego and make its way across this great land so I can enjoy a bottle pretty much any time I want. Austin has an amazing craft beer scene, but sometimes you just want the comfort of an old friend on a hot day.

Just mowed the yard? Crack open a frosty bottle of happiness and save cocktail hour for later.

More
09 Apr 2014 17:16 - 09 Apr 2014 17:16 #175512 by charlest

Michael Barnes wrote: There's a Kirkland vodka? Not in Georgia...

Costco actually has two different Kirkland brand vodka handles in Missouri. There's a cheaper one ($15 a handle), and a higher quality one (around $28). Many people seem to believe the higher quality one is distilled in the same location as Grey Goose and you can't tell the difference. They are both distilled in France so this is possible. However, I'm cheap and used to drinking Popov and other shit so I've never tried the more expensive bottle.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2014 17:16 by charlest.

More
09 Apr 2014 19:29 #175516 by Gary Sax
The one benefit of Lubbock is that it ends up in the Colorado beer market. Colorado breweries, generally around Denver, make wonderful beer.

My personal favorite brewery is Oskar Blues. Old Chub, Dale's Pale Ale, and Lil' Yella Pils. Mmmmmm. Only the pils is really a session beer, though.

More
09 Apr 2014 20:20 #175518 by OldHippy
There isn't much I won't drink, alcoholic or not. Lately though I've really been enjoying these incredibly overpriced beers from the Quebec brewery Dieu Du Ciel! I've only tried two of their beers but I already know that I want to drink more of this one in particular called "Rosée d'hibiscus". It's incredible!

But at 18.00$ a four pack I won't be drinking too many of them. In case you're wondering in Canada a six pack is normally about 10 bucks... so they are way over priced. Still, as a once in awhile to keep in the fridge... fucking perfect!

More
09 Apr 2014 20:21 #175519 by Black Barney
With all this cider talk, Scrumpyjack better post something for crying out loud….

More
09 Apr 2014 20:26 #175520 by ChristopherMD
Beer, mostly imperial stouts.

More
09 Apr 2014 20:31 #175521 by Josh Look
Coffee is how I make my living and I just got this Toddy Cold Brew System. Fucking amazing stuff. Stuff is so smooth that it seems impossible. I made a first batch using Allegro's Espresso Bel Canto (which you can buy at your local Whole Foods /plug), which was dark, chocolaty and wonderful, but I used a Guatemalan light roast for the second, which when you brew with pretty much any other method is really bright tasting and pretty acidic. I'm still getting that bright flavor but there's zero acidity to it. I'm not really an iced coffee drinker but I haven't had hot coffee in a week now and I don't miss it. Love this thing, best $35 I've spent in a long while.

On the alcoholic front I've been drinking more and more wine. I'm so ill-versed in the subject that I won't attempt make any conversation about it, but I've found that the 90 Cellars brand is a damn good wine for the money.

More
09 Apr 2014 20:48 - 09 Apr 2014 20:51 #175522 by ChristopherMD
I used one of those Toddy Cold Brew Systems all last summer. I would never make coffee any other way now. However, I already preferred iced coffee. I usually go with french roast because dark coffee cold brews best. CVS actually has a good french roast that's usually on sale. Tried Seattle's Best dark recently and it was great.

I make my iced coffees with unsweetend vanilla almond milk and pure stevia. I also make coffee ice cubes for the ice.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2014 20:51 by ChristopherMD.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds