October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What SPORTS are you following?

More
26 Apr 2016 15:40 #226538 by the_jake_1973
I follow American football and hockey in a casual fashion. The Denver Broncos are my team of choice to root for, so I am interested how exactly they are going to recover from their QB foibles this season. I am also a Detroit Lions fan. I think it is much like playing Dark Souls, except you never actually get any better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2016 16:59 #226545 by Black Barney
This Canadian is allllll hockeyed out this year.

That thing where that BlackHawks guy got into trouble for dropping the new f-bomb really bothered me.

More
26 Apr 2016 17:00 #226548 by Joebot

Black Barney wrote: This Canadian is allllll hockeyed out this year.

That thing where that BlackHawks guy got into trouble for dropping the new f-bomb really bothered me.

It bothered you that he SAID it? Or it bothered you that he got punished for saying it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
26 Apr 2016 17:02 - 26 Apr 2016 17:03 #226549 by Black Barney
The punishment he got for it really bothers me.

..and that doesn't mean I'm defending the word. Let's not get intellectually lazy.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2016 17:03 by Black Barney.

More
26 Apr 2016 21:12 #226563 by dysjunct
Here is a thing I wrote:

www.rpggeek.com/thread/1238686/sumo

I stand by it, and am looking forward to the tournament next month.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Mr. White

More
26 Apr 2016 21:24 #226565 by Mr. White

Moreover, martial arts are pretty weird. They are basically useless in modern society on a cost-benefit analysis -- if you calculate how much each class costs per hour, versus crime statistics in a modern first world country, then it quickly becomes obvious that it is cheaper for you to work a little overtime every week, and -- on the negligible chance you are a crime victim -- give your wallet to a mugger without complaint.

Worth reading your article for this right here. I never considered that...ha!
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, ChristopherMD

More
27 Apr 2016 00:25 #226576 by Jexik
My Cubs are killing it.

More
27 Apr 2016 08:00 #226581 by SuperflyPete
BOXING IS BACK.

Watched Spence vs. Algieri last weekend (or was it the week before?.. 16th). Matches like that remind me why I hate the business of boxing. There's no reason to have these two guys fighting. Spence beat the shit out of the guy. He was a human punching bag. It was like a hawk swooping down on a mouse.

The matchups in boxing have always been driven by making popular fighters have better records to become real contenders. And that is what fucking pisses me off.

More
27 Apr 2016 09:01 - 27 Apr 2016 09:02 #226584 by Jackwraith
I'm a diehard Michigan fan, which is currently in the off-season except for baseball (decent) and softball (excellent; likely in the CWS again this year.) But the most entertaining part of this off-season has been watching Harbaugh pissing off the SEC and the NCAA.

OTOH, I'm also a diehard LIverpool fan and hope has returned in the form of Jurgen Klopp. It took a few months to get things sorted, but the Reds have finally begun playing somewhat like the teams of yore (I became a fan in the late 70s when LFC was the only European soccer we could see in the States because they were the best club in the world at the time.) They're in the semifinals of the Europe League (first match tomorrow against Villareal), which is likely the only way they'll make it back to the Champions League next year. Also:

Last edit: 27 Apr 2016 09:02 by Jackwraith.

More
27 Apr 2016 09:41 #226591 by Columbob
"The new f-bomb"

What's that, "floculize you"?

More
27 Apr 2016 10:48 #226597 by Joebot

Black Barney wrote: The punishment he got for it really bothers me.

..and that doesn't mean I'm defending the word. Let's not get intellectually lazy.

If I called a co-worker a "faggot" at my place of employment, I would be fired. I think that's probably true for most people. The fact that Shaw only got a fine and a suspension feels almost too lenient to me. Why should professional athletes be held to a lower standard of behavior then the rest of society? Certain words have been deemed to be so ugly and hateful that they're no longer tolerated. That feels like progress to me.

More
27 Apr 2016 11:14 - 27 Apr 2016 11:17 #226600 by Black Barney
That's because your place of employment, like mine, is a professional business.

I don't think competitive sports is the same thing at all. And if you want to make progress on this issue, you can't be making it this late in the process. These guys have been playing on these surfaces using this language since they were teenagers. That's where it has to stop. The locker rooms in high schools, the coaches there, the parents... they ALL use that word like it's water. By the time Shaw got to where he is, he is now in the Stanley Cup playoffs, super high adrenaline and pressure. It's not surprising at all that the word just comes out like that. He's clearly not using it as a homophobic slur, but as the commonplace alternative to "fucking asshole" that many of us also grew up with around boys and men.

The only time that word comes out of me is under high pressure situations like a car practically running over me when I'm crossing the street, or back when I played Call of Duty. It's not a good word to use and I use it a ton less than I used do. i certainly never use it when I'm emotionally sober.

So i think the punishment is really over the top. You don't effectuate change like this. It had to start in Shaw's high school room and that's where you're going to get rid of this.

I think political correctness is good but, like everything else, it can overreach and i think that's what is happening here. Context is important.

Plus hockey isn't a gentleman's sport by any stretch. In golf or tennis, this would be punished and rightfully so. Hockey is a very different beast.

I appreciate you talking about it joebot.

It really is the new f-bomb. The President could get away with saying fuck if he wanted to.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2016 11:17 by Black Barney.

More
27 Apr 2016 11:20 #226601 by charlest
I go back and forth on Shaw's suspension. I think that word is despicable in 2016 and shouldn't be used, but I have a hard time dealing with the fact that head shots and checks with intent to injure can often escape suspension while something an athlete said in a heated moment did not.

I think the single playoff game was probably a very appropriate response. He should have gotten an extra game thrown his way for that hair though.

More
27 Apr 2016 12:00 #226605 by Joebot

Black Barney wrote: So i think the punishment is really over the top. You don't effectuate change like this. It had to start in Shaw's high school room and that's where you're going to get rid of this.

I totally agree with you that the BEST way to effect long-term progress on an issue like this is from the ground up. That starts with parents and coaches teaching children not to throw around ugly words like "faggot." But, that takes TIME. Like, entire generations, to weed that crap out.

I think it is possible in the short term, for organizations like the NHL to say, "Knock that shit off." I think that CAN make an impact -- on current players certainly who don't want to get suspended, but also on kids playing hockey, and even on the wider society. Maybe not a huge impact, but if nothing else, it got people talking about it.

If Shaw had called that ref an "asshole" or a "motherfucker," I doubt there would have been ANY consequences. Nobody cares about those words, because they don't carry a huge amount of social baggage the way "faggot" does. I thought Shaw's punishment was appropriate, and I was actually kind of surprised that the NHL did it. The NHL is second only to the NFL for being tone-deaf and moronic in how they deal with player discipline.

More
27 Apr 2016 12:12 #226607 by charlest

Joebot wrote: If Shaw had called that ref an "asshole" or a "motherfucker," I doubt there would have been ANY consequences. Nobody cares about those words, because they don't carry a huge amount of social baggage the way "faggot" does. I thought Shaw's punishment was appropriate, and I was actually kind of surprised that the NHL did it. The NHL is second only to the NFL for being tone-deaf and moronic in how they deal with player discipline.

This is exactly what happened. He gave the Refs the bird with both hands through his gloves. The NHL gave him a fine for this (I think $5,000) but the 1 game suspension was for using the inappropriate language.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds