October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching ARCHIVE

More
18 Jun 2012 14:08 #128482 by san il defanso
I started getting The Wire on Netflix. This is my first foray into any HBO shows, and the first three episodes have been very fascinating. I look forward to digging in further.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2012 14:18 #128484 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: TV Watch - June 2011

San Il Defanso wrote: I started getting The Wire on Netflix. This is my first foray into any HBO shows, and the first three episodes have been very fascinating. I look forward to digging in further.

I just finished watching the first season. Seriously, I mailed back the last disc today so if yours comes with cheeto residue on it...I'm sorry, I tried to lick it all off.

I thought it was good but not great. A little too Nihilistic for my tastes. The production and acting are all top notch though. And having spent a lot of time in projects during the era this was produced (being a repoman in Hartford at that time) I can say that visually it is very accurate.

More
18 Jun 2012 14:23 #128485 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Re: TV Watch - June 2011
I've been watching and loving the HBO comedy Veep. It's by the same creator (and is pretty much just the sitcom version) of the movie In the Loop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair

More
03 Jul 2012 18:35 - 03 Jul 2012 18:35 #129919 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic TV Watch - July 2011
Half way through Season 2 of Fringe. I like the overall story arc but then I really liked Alias as well. The episodes which deal with the main story arc are much better than the 'filler' episodes.

Thought I'd watch Alias again when I've finished with Fringe as I think I gave up on it after about three seasons due to moving to TKWIL.

Just started watching The Killing (in Danish with English subs). I am told that this is way better than the US remake and I know it was really popular in the UK when it came out, so I have high hopes for it. Episode 1 was a pretty high standard. Was this ever released in the US or is subtitled stuff just not a seller?
Last edit: 03 Jul 2012 18:35 by ThirstyMan.

More
21 Aug 2012 16:49 #133062 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic August 2012
Right then....just finished Season 4 of Fringe. I can thoroughly recommend this to all FAT:ies as a great epic SF story. Only 5 seasons were ever planned so, unlike Lost, there is a story arc that finishes.

It's all about parallel worlds and jumping from one to the other. As a consequence, the acting is excellent as the main actors have to play a slightly different version of themselves, which looks the same, allowing them to actually act. Earth Prime (if I can call it that) has airships, domesticated badgers and no 9/11 amongst other things.

To get the most out of it, you need to watch from the beginning. One problem is episode 11 in Season 2 is misplaced and should have been part of mainstream Season 1, part of some exec decision that fucks up the continuity. In this show, you do NOT want the continuity fucked up. That, however, is the only scheduling error in story continuity.

It has everything an AT fan could want, history changing, butterfly effects, even alien invasion. One episode is a cartoon for fucks sake!!! Some set today, some set 30 years ago, some set 30 years in the future, many set in the alt universes.

Trust me, you will love it BUT you need to watch them fairly regularly or you will lose the plot. Season 5 (last season) starts in September.

Phenomenal show......
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Aug 2012 16:59 #133064 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Re: August 2012
I'm going on record right now to say that there will be just as much pissing and moaning about the ending to Fringe as there was about the ending to Lost. Fanboys don't know what they want from these shows.

But Fringe is a terrific show, particularly after about the two-thirds point of season two (it's solid until then too). I love the characters and the web that has been woven between everything. They've done a great job at growing the actors into the roles too. John Noble was always great, but Anna Torv is probably the cornerstone of the show now. She's become one of my favorite series leads out there.

I've been watching The Wire, which is a good way to lose faith in humanity. I'm about a quarter of the way through the third season. It's excellent, finely crafted, blah blah. You've all heard it. It's good, check it out.

Still need to catch up with this last week's Breaking Bad.

More
21 Aug 2012 18:15 - 21 Aug 2012 18:20 #133074 by mikecl
Replied by mikecl on topic Re: August 2012
I love Westerns so I'm watching Hell on Wheels which is just entering its second season. I really like it. Common is in it and he's surprisingly good as an actor. Anson Mount's portrayal of Cullen Bohannon, the Confederate soldier on a mission to wipe out the Union renegades who massacred his family.. is stellar.

I watched the entire first season of Veep ]and Julia Louis Dreyfuss is pretty funny trying to make the best out of the second place job no one aspires to. I'll likely watch the second season if it gets renewed.

I'm also enjoying Aaron Sorkin's (West Wing) new series The Newsroom probably more out of nostalgia for the "good ol days of Edward R Murrow and Walter Cronkite than anything else. I like the premise of news done right and Jeff Daniels is surprisingly strong.

After missing couple of the earlier seasons, I'm watching True Blood again and am finding it pretty entertaining as the Vampire Authority gears up for mass warfare on humanity, Bill Compton gets in touch with his nasty vampire side and three thousand year old vampire Russell sets out to gorge on Faeries which of course puts him on a collision course with Sookie.
Hey it's not deep, but it's my guilty pleasure.

There's a British production on HBO called Strike Back that features a two man British intelligence hit team disrupting terroist operations around the world. I've watched about half the first season since discovering it and the second season has just started. It's pretty good action and reminds me of playing first person shooters as these two buddies work their way in and out of trouble. I also like the way they do violence in this one. It's graphic but you don't see blood and guts spraying everywhere. And yet it's just as (if not more) intense.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2012 18:20 by mikecl.

More
21 Aug 2012 18:42 #133077 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Re: August 2012

mikecl wrote: I watched the entire first season of Veep.

This is my favourite new comedy since Arrested Development. Extremely funny. Fans of the movie In the Loop should watch it (and everyone should watch In the Loop).

More
21 Aug 2012 19:46 #133085 by siberianhusky
Good New Entertainment:
Misfits. The third season was not as good as previous ones but still pretty good.

Reliable Quality:
Modern Family
Dr Who
Arrested Developement
Green Wing

Waiting for the New Season:
Community
Game of Thrones

More
21 Aug 2012 20:04 #133086 by repoman
Been watching Foyle's War on Netflix. It's a British show and it's very subdued and the pacing is a bit slower than American TV would be.

It's about a detective that is told he's more valuable at home doing his job during WW2 than going overseas.

I don't know how he pulls it off. I guess mostly through his facial expressions but the lead actor conveys a great deal with few words. And he's very likeable as is his driver.

I like it a lot and really recommend it. Unless your the type that needs explosions, gun fights and car chases in your crime dramas.

More
21 Aug 2012 20:20 #133089 by Gary Sax
I enjoyed Fringe when I watched it as a monster of the week show in season 1---I'd imagine I'd like it even more when they ramp the continuity up, I stopped watching for some reason before that.

More
21 Aug 2012 23:41 #133100 by ThirstyMan

repoman wrote: Been watching Foyle's War on Netflix. It's a British show and it's very subdued and the pacing is a bit slower than American TV would be.

It's about a detective that is told he's more valuable at home doing his job during WW2 than going overseas.

I don't know how he pulls it off. I guess mostly through his facial expressions but the lead actor conveys a great deal with few words. And he's very likeable as is his driver.

I like it a lot and really recommend it. Unless your the type that needs explosions, gun fights and car chases in your crime dramas.

Yes, this is brilliant. Even my wife likes this one. Each season is one year of the war starting (I think) in 1939. Maybe 4 stories per season but each story is roughly 2.30hrs. NIce and slow paced but not as slow as Morse and references real world events. Acting is top notch.

Careful Repoman, there are scenes of drinking in local pubs and whatnot, these are pretend and the people drinking are just pretending they can drink. You know the feeling.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
21 Aug 2012 23:51 #133102 by Msample
Getting ready for the new seasons of HOMELAND and SONS OF ANARCHY, both of which resume next month.

More
22 Aug 2012 00:51 #133106 by Cranberries

San Il Defanso wrote: Hot:

Fringe - When it's on, it's ON.

The last season of Fringe was like a ripe peach, perfect and complete. I don't even want to watch this next, tacked-on half season because there is no way it will measure up.

More
22 Aug 2012 02:01 #133114 by repoman

ThirstyMan wrote: Careful Repoman, there are scenes of drinking in local pubs and whatnot, these are pretend and the people drinking are just pretending they can drink. You know the feeling.....

You see how deep is the wisdom of Thirstyman. I take his warning to heart. Also I now know why they all don't throw up after the scenes in the pub. It's because they are pretending that not every one vomits after having a few beers.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds