Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.
  • Page:

TOPIC: What Guitars Are You Playing

What Guitars Are You Playing 24 Aug 2016 18:23 #232751

You guys started talking about guitars in the wbgayp thread....i searched and coudn't find one - So...

Here's my new axe - One of my tenants has taken up building guitars as a retirement hobby - He's done some pretty decent work on my acoustic and my Peavy Nitro. But then he brought this in for me to play 3 months ago and it's all I'm playing anymore - His take on a tele - Poplar body which is wonderful for doing multiple worship services - so light - My back and shoulders were really getting tired of the Nitro and the Belvedere on Sunday mornings.

I never really was a tele guy, but man I love this axe.
Attachments:
  • boothwah
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 629
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, OldHippy, Unicron

What Guitars Are You Playing 24 Aug 2016 18:34 #232752

About a year and half I inherited some old Spanish style German guitar, so last year I started taking some guitar lessons.

I'm still a noob, but think I want my own new instrument so may get a yamaha fg800 or something. I dunno. I hear they're pretty good to start with.
  • Mr. White
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2528
Life & Death & An American Chainsaw

What Guitars Are You Playing 24 Aug 2016 19:45 #232754

Beautiful guitar boothwah. I love tele's. Danny Gatton is a bit of a hero of mine, guy can make a tele sing like no one else. Personally though I don't play much electric. The strings are generally too light for me.

All I play these days, outside of a little mandolin, is my steel string. I've got this cool CEO Martin limited edition. The body meets at the 12th fret instead of the 14th. It's like a nylon string but it has steel strings. With more modern bracing of course.

I don't need the extra frets personally and I dig the fuller body and harmonics.

I play it in this clip which is just a silly little throw away tune I kind of wrote by accident. I'm not normally a blues guy.

• OldHippy
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1732
Boardgames suck.
Last Edit: 24 Aug 2016 19:54 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Mr. White, Columbob, Unicron

What Guitars Are You Playing 24 Aug 2016 21:34 #232758

That looks like a beautiful take on a Telecaster, but in the picture I just see:

(I barely play at all anymore, it's just not on my mind most of the time. I go through phases every few months, though)
  • Not Sure
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 937

What Guitars Are You Playing 25 Aug 2016 07:44 #232772

I've got a Tele too. I finger pluck so I got some heavier strings.

My only bitch is that the sustain isn't great.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Harmless Potty-Mouth
  • Thank you received: 4321
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4

What Guitars Are You Playing 25 Aug 2016 08:44 #232779

Mr. White wrote:
About a year and half I inherited some old Spanish style German guitar, so last year I started taking some guitar lessons.

I'm still a noob, but think I want my own new instrument so may get a yamaha fg800 or something. I dunno. I hear they're pretty good to start with.

I would advise skipping the Yamaha and looking for an Alvarez. I have a little Alvarez parlor that I use for playing open tunings; it works well, and is extremely portable.

I got this Eastman AR604 awhile ago, and now it's my go-to guitar. When I first started playing, I started off with an electric, and found it deeply unsatisfying. In the last few years, I started playing acoustic, and have really taken to it. The archtop oval hole is loud and clear, and I can't be happier.

osps7gwspj1dvom1g8k4.jpg
  • Count Orlok
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 84

What Guitars Are You Playing 25 Aug 2016 08:53 #232781

Count Orlok wrote:
Mr. White wrote:

I would advise skipping the Yamaha and looking for an Alvarez. I have a little Alvarez parlor that I use for playing open tunings; it works well, and is extremely portable.

Can you elaborate a little more? The alvarez looks to cost 5 to 10 times as much. I've only been playing for about a year and a half and sometimes my wife and kids pluck on it as well. At this stage, $200 seems a bit more reasonable than $1500-2000. If I super take to the hobby then I can see going better, but I understand that the yamaha is pretty good.

EDIT: I see the Alveraz 5022 is more in the fg800 price range. Is that the one you're talking about?
  • Mr. White
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2528
Life & Death & An American Chainsaw
Last Edit: 25 Aug 2016 08:54 by Mr. White.

What Guitars Are You Playing 25 Aug 2016 09:02 #232783

You can get an Alvarez AP66 or AP610 in the $300 - 500 range. I don't have extensive experience with Yamaha, but I've found them chunky and overbuilt. I would definitely suggest skipping the $75 - 200 range, and jumping up a few levels in cost. It makes a difference.

I would also suggest Eastman as a builder, but they are quite a bit more expensive. Worth it, though.
  • Count Orlok
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 84
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

What Guitars Are You Playing 25 Aug 2016 09:43 #232789

Alvarezes sound nice. Not Takamine nice but nice.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Harmless Potty-Mouth
Last Edit: 27 Aug 2016 07:28 by SuperflyTNT.

What Guitars Are You Playing 25 Aug 2016 10:03 #232792

That guitar looks really pretty, Orlok.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 3105

What Guitars Are You Playing 25 Aug 2016 10:26 #232794

My only acoustic is a Takamine EF 341SC cutaway, but I agree on the Alvarez praise (particularly the Alvarez-Yairi). As for other guitars, I have a Knowlton custom with a single Bill Lawrence Humbucker and Bigsby tailpiece, a Fender Reissues ’65 jazzmaster (Elvis Costello fan), a late 90’s American Tele with a Duesenberg multibender for slide work and a cheap Danelectro baritone which likely hasn’t had its strings changed in six or seven years.

Do guys play more electric or acoustic?
  • Unicron
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 149

What Guitars Are You Playing 25 Aug 2016 10:28 #232795

I love that pickguard. It looks like a guitar Robyn Hitchcock would play.
  • Unicron
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 149

What Guitars Are You Playing 26 Aug 2016 19:08 #232894

I noodle around on an acoustic Oscar Schmidt by Washburn. I don't know if it's good or bad but it sounds fine I guess. It was a gift from my father-in-law, who "won" it in a silent auction fundraiser for a local charity.

I can mostly play the first eight measures of songs from the late 80s and early 90s. If you come over, I hope you want to hear some Everclear covers.
  • dysjunct
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 660
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries, SuperflyTNT

What Guitars Are You Playing 27 Aug 2016 07:36 #232906

Unicron wrote:
...a late 90’s American Tele with a Duesenberg multibender for slide work...
OMG. Those are bad ass. My buddy played in a pseudo-famous surf band (drummer) and the lead guitarist had one of them. The sounds off of those are just wicked cool.

For anyone whose never heard it:
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Harmless Potty-Mouth

What Guitars Are You Playing 28 Aug 2016 08:21 #232930

So, I got an amp yesterday, thanks to Brewmiester. Kustom 35W with 8 effects built in. 250$ list, got it for 75$ on Facebook Marketplace. Spent most of the day attempting to play righty since mama got me the Tele for my birthday, but it's righty. Ugh. Hard as fuck to relearn
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Harmless Potty-Mouth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Unicron
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds