October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2647 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What have you been EATING lately?

More
13 Apr 2017 16:29 #246501 by Hex Sinister
Heh, did you guys know there are military rations enthusiasts out there? I did not. And I am ashamed to admit to watching several rations videos. If you are just dying to know the contents of 2009 Israeli 24 hour kit or watch some guy eat a tin of shit from 1945 you can. It's actually pretty interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2017 16:31 #246502 by Black Barney
i had an MRE once that my uncle brought back from Desert Storm. It wasn't very good. I remember the cracker being particularly baking soda-ish

More
13 Apr 2017 16:50 #246504 by Hex Sinister
Yeah, my dad bought a few to take camping with us many years ago, just for shits. They were pretty bad. But some of the european ones have some cool stuff in them. Like good chocolates. It's interesting to see what foreign countries put in there. I was really surprised.

More
13 Apr 2017 16:54 #246505 by boothwah

Black Barney wrote: LOL the writing is fantastic:

The list of ingredients is long and horrifying, coming right out of the gate with "MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN." Oddly enough, I'm about to be separated from my lunch, and I haven't even opened the can yet.

The can shows a serving suggestion of the Potted Meat being served on squares of toast. I would also suggest squares of toilet paper

lol

I knew I was in trouble as soon as I opened the jar, and heard no reassuring vacuum seal.

rofl:

While I cannot endorse the eating of Pickled Pork Rinds, I do endorse playing with it like a puzzle. I did have some fun trying to put the pig back together,

Beggin' Strips slogan is "Dogs don't know it's not bacon!" Newsflash: Dogs are retarded. Mine used to eat his own vomit, and wag his tail while he did it.

i love how he writes a preamble BEFORE tasting it, as he's gearing up the courage. And then shows a picture of what's he's about to eat and then posts what happened after. This made my eyes water, I laughed so much:

I'm back. And I'm sad to report that I did not run around the house yelling "Bacon!" I did, however, run around the house yelling "Call 911!"

After further review this line is my <3. If we had sig lines, I would make it my sig for a bit.

"The entire experience is difficult to describe, but if you can remember back to the very first time you made out with a hobo's ass, it's a lot like that."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
13 Apr 2017 17:03 #246506 by the_jake_1973
I actually enjoyed some of the MREs we were served in the Army. This was 92-95. The peanut butter and the cheese was like a two part epoxy for your bowels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Hex Sinister, Black Barney

More
13 Apr 2017 17:04 #246507 by Michael Barnes
How about that "astronaut ice cream" your grandma would get you? WTF was that? A block of powdered milk and sugar with artificial flavor?

I always wants to eat the cornbread in Aliens for some reason, but I bet it is actually that sweet ass cake shit that people north of the Mason Dixon and West of the Mississippi are prone to mistake as cornbread.

I shudder to think what Canadian cornbread is like. Probably had gravy on it or something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
13 Apr 2017 17:18 - 13 Apr 2017 17:28 #246508 by Black Barney
We don't have cornbread up here. Whatever money that was earmarked for that ended up going into schools.

I also want to try the cornbread in Aliens. Or the chop suey that John Hurt eats in Alien. Warning: may cause gastro-intestinal distress.

There's a good deleted scene where they go back to finishing the meal after they blow him out the airlock ("somebody wanna say something?") , and the chop suey container gets passed around but nobody takes any.

Speaking of scenes that never happened , did u see that Ridley Scott wanted the ending to be that when the Alien gets shot out of the shuttle with the hook, it pulls itself back in (instead of the engine) and rips Ripleys head off? And then it speaks a distress signal message using Dallas' voice? That would have been awful. The studio shut it down , whew
Last edit: 13 Apr 2017 17:28 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
14 Apr 2017 10:13 #246551 by SebastianBludd
Last night for supper I made homemade beef stroganoff for my family. I used locally sourced (i.e., my father-in-law raises cattle) stew meat and coconut cream instead of sour cream due to my dairy intolerance (pro tip mentioned in the recipe: put your can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight so you can just scoop out the solid cream). It turned out pretty well but it took a lot longer than I'd hoped - I hate prepping onions and garlic - so I wasn't able to reduce the sauce as much as I liked. It had good flavor, though, which is always a concern when I'm making a time-intensive recipe.

And this morning my friend shared with me some goose eggs his wife found. He scrambled them with hot sauce and guaje seeds and they were really good. He gave me one to take home (each egg is equivalent to about three chicken eggs) but I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet.

More
14 Apr 2017 11:36 #246559 by Jexik

stormseeker75 wrote: That's a great blog! Fucking hysterical. I am oddly in the mood for breast milk Yoohoo now.

Wow. I couldn't look away and read all the entries in a row.

I know someone who actually likes Natto.

More
14 Apr 2017 12:00 #246560 by the_jake_1973

Michael Barnes wrote: How about that "astronaut ice cream" your grandma would get you? WTF was that? A block of powdered milk and sugar with artificial flavor?

I always wants to eat the cornbread in Aliens for some reason, but I bet it is actually that sweet ass cake shit that people north of the Mason Dixon and West of the Mississippi are prone to mistake as cornbread.

I shudder to think what Canadian cornbread is like. Probably had gravy on it or something.

Johhnycake is awesome. It ain't cornbread, but still great.

More
14 Apr 2017 19:44 #246588 by Gary Sax
Went to an excellent Indian restaurant in Vancouver last night.

More
25 Jun 2017 20:26 #250413 by Black Barney
Never again the buffalo chicken mac n cheese, holy shit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds