October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What have you been EATING lately?

More
09 Apr 2017 23:28 #246262 by Michael Barnes
Are those traditional Indonesian dishes? I know practically nothing about Indonesian cuisine! It's not something you see a lot of in Atlanta, GA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2017 23:59 #246264 by ratpfink
I'm a big fan of food trucks, but in Milwaukee their appearance is more of a sign of changing seasons and the ease of eating lunch while enjoying some sunshine on a park bench. And there's not really much foo-foo shit going on here. After being cooped up all winter, it's nice to head to the park across the street with a greasy sandwich, fries and some sunshine. I don't really get the coworkers that sit inside with their lean cuisine and talk about spending time outside on the weekend. That said, most of the trucks aren't that good. But the ones that are give you a better lunch for your money than the sit down restaurants that are within a couple block radius of work. Used to be able to get a really great bahn mi for $6 or so from a truck, but they closed up the truck and opened a real restaurant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
10 Apr 2017 00:23 #246265 by blatz
There's actually a few decent food trucks in Minneapolis. We eat at them for breakfast in the summer when they're parked at the local farmers market.

Anyway, tonight we had curried chicken and rice with plantains from a Jamaican place nearby. Pretty damned good. Washed it down with some small batch bourbon and finally finished up West World.

More
10 Apr 2017 07:21 - 10 Apr 2017 07:25 #246266 by Grudunza
Barney, were you in NYC recently? I was there for a couple days last week. Had a delicious "crabby patty" (crab meat burger) at a pub in the Broadway district. Also had some great sushi the other day at Ocean Sushi in Syracuse (esp. the eel from the Kamikaze roll), a tasty falafel wrap from one of the hundreds of food trucks in D.C. (I agree with Barnes that food trucks are usually crap, but some are good and I had a huge hankering for that falafel when I saw it), and chicken wings and my mother's spaetzle and my sister's broccoli salad in my old home of Buffalo. It's been a good trip, food-wise.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2017 07:25 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
10 Apr 2017 08:46 #246267 by stoic
Life in my city revolves around truly great food and good times--almost every cuisine is represented well. This is why everyone around here is fat. Fresh seafood is also cheap and plentiful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Apr 2017 10:20 #246274 by barrowdown
I just made a few quarts of Chicago-style giardiniera. I've never made it before, but it at least appeared to be tasty when I jarred it yesterday.

I think my city is fairly empty of great cuisine. Food outside of the European/American cuisines is what I think of as the American-family style restaurant category (bland and not in anyway similar to it's nominal relation). There is one decent Indian place and a few hit-or-miss Thai places, but that's about it.

For my family, the best restaurant in town is a breakfast/lunch place that cycles most of their menu every week and brings in a lot of interesting ingredients (insects, frogs, etc). They do a prix fixe dinner (some kind of theme) once a month and a happy-hour (bar-food origins) once a month. They also have a food cart that parks at one of the breweries in town and does tacos and burgers. We go every week to see what they have cycled in and it is the place we take people who are visiting us.

There are a couple of really solid fine-dining restaurants, but that is difficult to get to with the mini-human.

More
10 Apr 2017 11:28 #246276 by Msample
Yesterday my local BBQ place opened up for the season - its a decent sized trailer with some picnic tables. And having sampled dozens of places in New England and NYC, I can say its in the top tier for meats, if not side dishes. Their brisket is the best of their meats, unusual in that most places that's the worst.

pigtrip.net/review-POFB.htm

Last weekend I hit a place in Ridgefield CT called HooDoo Brown BBQ, another top New England spot.

pigtrip.net/review-HDB.htm

The two URLs linked are for an excellent BBQ review site for New England/NYC that is run by a friend of mine if you need info for the area.

And to the those that say "cuisine X can't be good outside its place of origin" STFU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
10 Apr 2017 20:36 - 10 Apr 2017 20:36 #246303 by Sevej

Michael Barnes wrote: Are those traditional Indonesian dishes? I know practically nothing about Indonesian cuisine! It's not something you see a lot of in Atlanta, GA.

The meat with mushroom sauce is not. It's actually western influenced. But rendang is Indonesian traditional food, although it's not usually served on a rice with a bowl and egg...
Last edit: 10 Apr 2017 20:36 by Sevej.

More
10 Apr 2017 21:33 - 10 Apr 2017 21:33 #246306 by Black Barney
Christ on a surfboard do I ever not like BBQ. But I trust msample enough to really want to try that brisket
Last edit: 10 Apr 2017 21:33 by Black Barney.

More
10 Apr 2017 21:42 #246307 by Michael Barnes
See folks, this is what is wrong with the Canadian national character. I have been a vegetarian for 25 years but I love some motherfucking BBQ. Granted, I make it with fake meat, but the spirit is the same. And the sauce...as long as it is not that thin, vinegar-based sauce. Or that abomination that is mayonnaise based sauce.

But yeah, not liking BBQ? That's like punching the Christchild in the dick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jexik, SuperflyPete

More
10 Apr 2017 21:47 #246308 by Black Barney
I hate u

Marry me

More
10 Apr 2017 22:49 #246317 by Msample

Michael Barnes wrote: See folks, this is what is wrong with the Canadian national character. I have been a vegetarian for 25 years but I love some motherfucking BBQ. Granted, I make it with fake meat, but the spirit is the same. And the sauce...as long as it is not that thin, vinegar-based sauce. Or that abomination that is mayonnaise based sauce.

But yeah, not liking BBQ? That's like punching the Christchild in the dick.

When properly done, BBQ needs no sauce.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
10 Apr 2017 23:21 - 10 Apr 2017 23:23 #246319 by Gary Sax
That's Texas BBQ, just dry rub. I like it, but prefer a saucier style. We have a great BBQ joint in Lubbock now, but it only opened 2 years ago or so. I always just sort of assumed it'd have a ton of great ones, but we aren't really a ranching cowboy town. We grow cotton.

Msample, I imagine you and Sagrilarius as sort our versions of Ron Swanson, FWIW.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2017 23:23 by Gary Sax.

More
10 Apr 2017 23:54 #246320 by OldHippy
Hmmm, this seems innocuous enough. Lots of great food suggestions in here. I don't go to restaurants anymore. I just don't have the time, the most we do is order food once in awhile.

Lately though I've become re-addicted to 'Indian Tacos'... which sounds like a horribly racist name but that's what it's called on the reservation where I first learned about it. All it is is a big fat piece of bannock, shaped like a small plate and about an inch to an inch and a half thick and then cover it in regular taco toppings. Meat, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers... whatever you like. I suppose you could put anything on it but I haven't changed up the recipe at all. It's goddamn perfect as it is. My wife has some kind of vegetarian version that tastes great too... but I like my meat.

More
11 Apr 2017 03:13 #246324 by Hex Sinister

Sevej wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: Are those traditional Indonesian dishes? I know practically nothing about Indonesian cuisine! It's not something you see a lot of in Atlanta, GA.

The meat with mushroom sauce is not. It's actually western influenced. But rendang is Indonesian traditional food, although it's not usually served on a rice with a bowl and egg...

Looks like Loco Moco maybe?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds