October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What POSITIVE CHANGES are you making in your life?

More
08 Nov 2017 00:22 - 08 Nov 2017 00:22 #257234 by Gary Sax
I've done a lot of thinking about facebook and twitter these days and how much I should really be doing or posting on it, I feel you cranberries. Nothing about packing up my toys and leaving in a huff, I'm just thinking it might be very unhealthy for the way my mind works/doesn't work.
Last edit: 08 Nov 2017 00:22 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2017 01:15 #257235 by SuperflyPete
I’ve come to the decision that Social Media, 2; hour news, and YouTube (by proxy, tech companies) are radicalizing everyone.

As for vaping, no can do. Turns my throat into a fireplace and gives me wicked trots. Toothpicks work for me. I’ve quit a lot, and started years later. Time to quit again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Black Barney

More
08 Nov 2017 08:35 #257239 by Pat II
I flossed this morning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Da Bid Dabid, Frohike

More
08 Nov 2017 09:18 - 08 Nov 2017 09:19 #257242 by Black Barney
Yeah I really think Facebook for many of us is more of a net negative and drain than anything positive. I almost had an anxiety attack last week over some posts my step mom and sister made to my feed when all I did was enter a contest for a WPT seat and it posted it to my feed.

I think the biggest reason to leave Facebook is if you’re in a good relationship with someone you love. From personal experience both witnessed and lived myself, Facebook is a passive-aggressive cancer on relationships
Last edit: 08 Nov 2017 09:19 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Colorcrayons

More
08 Nov 2017 10:18 #257251 by Colorcrayons

Black Barney wrote: I think the biggest reason to leave Facebook is if you’re in a good relationship with someone you love. From personal experience both witnessed and lived myself, Facebook is a passive-aggressive cancer on relationships

Very much an amen to this. ⬆️

More
08 Nov 2017 12:14 #257261 by Jexik
If it weren't for the business I'd hardly use FB at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
08 Nov 2017 12:36 #257262 by Shellhead
If you're not happy with Facebook, consider how you are using it. Why are you friending people who make FB unpleasant?

I grew up 600 miles away from my current residence. I have close relatives living even farther away than that. Many of my old friends have also dispersed, including a couple that now live overseas. I also have a variety of people that I want to stay in touch with from previous jobs, previous activities, etc. And I'm not even an extrovert. Facebook is the only reasonable way that I can stay at least a little in touch with all these people. My only disappointment in this regard is that my closest old friends rarely use Facebook.

I also use Facebook to keep an eye on what is going on in the world. So some of my Facebook friends are there just so I can keep an eye on what the most extreme right- and left-wingers are babbling these days, and I have learned to not bother engaging them in debate because their beliefs are too irrational to yield to logic. I also have some Facebook friends who aren't even friends or family, but provide interesting content in my FB feed, especially humor.

Beyond that, FB is a great way to keep track of upcoming events, like parties or concerts or even gaming invitations. I can easily check the where and when of a given event, and even look to see who else I know is going or thinking of going.

I am concerned that we now have proof that the Russians manipulated many voters via Facebook and other social media. I think that Facebook could charge more for advertising and exercise some responsibility in screening those ads. Beyond that, it might be a good idea to limit or even eliminate the sharing of posts. It's one thing for you to be exposed to ideas expressed by your Facebook friends. It's a whole other thing for you to be exposed to fake news that has been re-shared repeatedly by careless users who fail to exercise critical thinking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, lj1983, Colorcrayons

More
08 Nov 2017 12:42 #257264 by __
I dont floss often enough, but a simple nose test of the stink that you floss out should tell you that no evidence is required to know that flossing is not only a good thing but should be done more often.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
08 Nov 2017 17:17 #257282 by Colorcrayons

Shellhead wrote: If you're not happy with Facebook, consider how you are using it. Why are you friending people who make FB unpleasant?

I grew up 600 miles away from my current residence. I have close relatives living even farther away than that. Many of my old friends have also dispersed, including a couple that now live overseas. I also have a variety of people that I want to stay in touch with from previous jobs, previous activities, etc. And I'm not even an extrovert. Facebook is the only reasonable way that I can stay at least a little in touch with all these people. My only disappointment in this regard is that my closest old friends rarely use Facebook.

I also use Facebook to keep an eye on what is going on in the world. So some of my Facebook friends are there just so I can keep an eye on what the most extreme right- and left-wingers are babbling these days, and I have learned to not bother engaging them in debate because their beliefs are too irrational to yield to logic. I also have some Facebook friends who aren't even friends or family, but provide interesting content in my FB feed, especially humor.

Beyond that, FB is a great way to keep track of upcoming events, like parties or concerts or even gaming invitations. I can easily check the where and when of a given event, and even look to see who else I know is going or thinking of going.

I am concerned that we now have proof that the Russians manipulated many voters via Facebook and other social media. I think that Facebook could charge more for advertising and exercise some responsibility in screening those ads. Beyond that, it might be a good idea to limit or even eliminate the sharing of posts. It's one thing for you to be exposed to ideas expressed by your Facebook friends. It's a whole other thing for you to be exposed to fake news that has been re-shared repeatedly by careless users who fail to exercise critical thinking.

My only reason to stay on FB was to see interesting updates via liked pages. Game design stuff, other nerd culture stuff, music interests, book club recommendations, comedic memes, and science news.

But not ever general news, for reasons you've listed. I don't need an echo chamber, and I don't need ascerbic vitriol expressed when a view point someone doesn't agree with is posted.

Seeing friends fake self aggrandizements is silly, as I know these people quite well and I'm tired of only seeing their best face forward, ignoring the dirty laundry. I refuse to validate that way and don't want that sort of shallow validation either.

I want to stay in touch with friends, but seeing such crap from the fringe of their life is unsatisfying. So basically, rather pointless to me. And an enormous waste of time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
08 Nov 2017 17:36 #257283 by Cranberries
Our home is a terrarium of anxiety as my wife searches for work with her new Master's degree in the Humanities and spirals into depression, reliving every rejection as a confirmation of her private Catholic high school bullying trauma. I basically tweeted for ten years and feel like I don't have much to show for it, and only interacted with about three people. I've deleted Facebook about three times in the past. I just felt like I had a second job, which was reading Facebook and Twitter and through force of will keeping the free world from imploding. I'd just rather do something else than engage in ritualized worrying, like read a book or figure out how to cook something tasty. Peter has suggested that playing the electric guitar will literally solve all of my problems, and I believe he is correct in that assumption.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
08 Nov 2017 17:46 #257286 by Black Barney
Two things happened today.

I lost custody of my daughter which sucks but was expected

Within ten minutes I won a Facebook contest so tonight I get to play in a ten person poker tournament for a chance to win a seat to the WPT main event in Montreal right now. A welcome distraction.

So temporarily I feel weird bagging on FB after I just won a contest
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, RobertB, Cranberries, Pat II

More
08 Nov 2017 19:49 #257300 by Cranberries

Black Barney wrote: Two things happened today.

I lost custody of my daughter which sucks but was expected

Within ten minutes I won a Facebook contest so tonight I get to play in a ten person poker tournament for a chance to win a seat to the WPT main event in Montreal right now. A welcome distraction.

So temporarily I feel weird bagging on FB after I just won a contest

That sucks about your daughter, but at least she'll grow up in a democracy (I kid). What does your daughter think about this, and how old is she?

I hope you win a million dollars, and then invest it in a good index fund.

More
08 Nov 2017 20:08 - 08 Nov 2017 21:23 #257306 by Black Barney
That’s good advice and probably exactly what I would do. Still ten players left, i think I might be the lowest stack already. Tonight it’s for a 5$k prize package

She’s six years old. She’s excited about it. She thinks she’s going to live on a farm with animals and a treehouse. In reality she’ll live in her grandmothers mobile home but she’ll still really be happy about that. I think she’ll be less happy when she has to do nine hours of driving every other weekend to see me. That’s the real bummer cuz I’m worried she’ll start to associate daddy with awful time in the car.

Anyway I’ll make the most of our time together and be the best daddy I know how to be! She’ll always be my little girl... until I make an emotional post one day like Booth did on his daughters wedding day.

Edit: nine players left... this large woman just took most of my chips. Gah! Pffff... just wait for her health to catch up to her

Edit: seven players left... (least exciting live updates of all time )
Last edit: 08 Nov 2017 21:23 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
10 Nov 2017 17:09 - 10 Nov 2017 17:24 #257453 by Chapel
I'm glad you all are giving up facebook, cause that sure sounds like out of all the shit in this thread so far THAT is the main problem. At least I hope it does, cause you guys are fucking depressing.
Last edit: 10 Nov 2017 17:24 by Chapel.

More
10 Nov 2017 17:17 #257455 by dysjunct
I am now coming up on a straight week of daily meditation and about four straight days of flossing. I don’t even know who I am anymore.

Re: Facebook. One of my cousins seriously thinks this is a devastating gotcha argument: whenever anyone makes fun of Trump’s bad spray tan or calls him orange, point out that liberals would never tolerate anyone making fun of Obama’s skin color. Because we all remember when people with bad spray tans were lynched, enslaved, and not allowed to sit at lunch counters.

It’s so fucking stupid it’s impossible to engage with. I should have unfollowed him but kept fretting about siloing myself off into an echo chamber. So instead I nuked Facebook and honestly it’s way better anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds