October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What POSITIVE CHANGES are you making in your life?

More
27 Sep 2018 12:26 #282382 by the_jake_1973

SuperflyTNT wrote: I better take out the pie crust and bacon to thaw. I'm making quiche tonight.

One of my favorite quiche fillings is a mix of onion, mushrooms, spinach, and feta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2018 13:41 #282387 by SuperflyPete

the_jake_1973 wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: I better take out the pie crust and bacon to thaw. I'm making quiche tonight.

One of my favorite quiche fillings is a mix of onion, mushrooms, spinach, and feta.

That’s a go to here as well.

I like to put a layer of Gorgonzola on the bottom of the crust, then cooked turkey bacon (low salt), then load with 8 whipped eggs with 2 Tbsp water (3 separated, whites only), a handful of cheddar, and freshly diced COLD tomatoes sans goo/seed shit which I wash out during the cutting.

Fucking dynamite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
27 Sep 2018 14:14 #282390 by Black Barney
i'm not sure I care much for this site's new direction
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Cranberries, sornars

More
11 Oct 2018 17:44 #282988 by dysjunct
So Mark, did you start lifting yet?

More
20 Oct 2018 15:02 - 20 Oct 2018 15:04 #283651 by Black Barney
I think I have an addiction to pistachios

I don’t want one, I want a hundred. I don’t understand why a person is fine with only one or two handfuls

I bought them for the first time this week at the grocery store. When I finished the first bag today, I didn’t see any reason not to immediately start on the second bag.

I like the sound the empty shells make when I dump them in the trash.

Sometimes I lose track if I’ve opened the shell or not and i bite into an unopened one. It hurts doing that.

One in every dozen just simply can’t get opened using bare hands and nails alone. I get mad at those ones and throw them away.

I’m pretty sure I’m an Addict with these stupid things. I’m going to have to avoid the snack aisle in the store for a while.

I’m going back to apples i think. I can eat just one apple.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2018 15:04 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
20 Oct 2018 15:07 #283652 by Gary Sax
Definitely do not purchase a bag of already shelled ones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
20 Oct 2018 17:26 #283655 by Robert Facepalmer

Gary Sax wrote: Definitely do not purchase a bag of already shelled ones.

+1. It is a good thing my wife doesn't like pistachio otherwise I would probably eat my body weight in the l'il bastards daily.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
20 Oct 2018 17:54 #283657 by Jackwraith

Have done that. One bag in a couple days later, I will never do that again. I didn't eat much else over those two days, so I guess that's kind of a diet(?) but, yeah, not happening again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
20 Oct 2018 18:20 #283661 by Black Barney

Uh oh...

I had bought 3 bags:
1 salted
1 salt and pepper (got thru half today... I barely touched my supper tonight)
...and 1 salted and shelled :(

I haven’t touched that third bag yet. I was thinking of getting one of those feed bags they strap around horse heads to help them eat and just eat them that way

They’re about 250 calories per half cup

Im eating these things by the bag

No other food seems to do this to me. I d’nt Know why I totally lose self control with these bastards. And I can’t believe I’ve waited until 43 years of age before I ever bought myself any. i would sometimes stumble upon them at a friends house or party.. and then that would be my next twenty minutes regardless of what was else was going on

More
20 Oct 2018 19:22 - 20 Oct 2018 19:23 #283664 by Gary Sax
Costco sells this massive shelled pistachio bag (the only way they're really affordable at all) and the spouse and I plowed through them in like less than a week. Like you said, the calories HOLY SHIT.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2018 19:23 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
26 Mar 2020 23:31 - 26 Mar 2020 23:43 #308629 by dysjunct
Re-reading my posts in this thread is a testament to good intentions, largely unfulfilled.

I still lift weights but I don’t have a consistent meditation or flossing practice.

I started tracking my drinking. Not changing anything, just tracking, but holy shit. For an American I’m probably a heavy drinker, so I am considering moving to England, where I will be average or less.

I quit my shitty job last November. I am ostensibly an independent contractor doing small business consultation through a branch of the Small Business Administration. My mental health is a lot better but I’ll have to get a job eventually.

I am homeschooling my spawn (5yo) in our new pandemic reality. I am really enjoying it. We go on socially-distanced walks with the dog and she asks me pressing questions. Where did people live before houses? Where did people buy things before stores?

I also clean my house a lot. This is mentally relaxing to me.

Edit: I started playing ukulele. It is easy and fun. The chord progression for “Let It Go,” “Let It Be,” “Don’t Stop Believing,” and “Africa” are identical, so I troll my 5yo by doing impromptu mashups.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2020 23:43 by dysjunct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax, Cranberries, Jackwraith, Nodens, n815e

More
27 Mar 2020 04:54 #308630 by Nodens
There's one or two more you could squeeze in there....
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
27 Mar 2020 10:17 #308634 by Shellhead
From September 2018:

Shellhead wrote: So the positive changes I am making:
1. Looking for a better job, hopefully with a more reasonable commute.
2. Reading up on negotiation and conflict resolution.
3. Giving serious thought to my relationship with my girlfriend, so I can decide if I want to try to save the relationship or move on.
4. Exercising more, to seek a positive outlet for my current stress.
5. Flossing more, starting, um, maybe tonight.
6. While I can't seem to find time to meditate, I bought a leash and harness and now take my cat for a walk around the yard every night. It's relaxing, except when the weather is too bad for a walk and he keeps nagging me to take him out anyway.

I made the positive changes in 2019 and am maintaining those gains for the most part:
1. Found a good job, though still a long commute in the opposite direction of heavy traffic. It's an essential business during coronavirus, so no reduction in pay or hours for anybody at work. In fact, I'm somehow struggling to hire people even though a lot of Minnesotans filed for unemployment last week.
2. My current job involves less accounting and a lot more HR, so my social skills have improved.
3. We worked on improving our relationship and it has paid off with better communication and more closeness.
4. I did step up my exercise in 2019, but now I'm struggling because I don't currently have access to a gym or a pool during the coronavirus lockdown. I'm not getting as much exercise at the moment, but I compensate by exercising 7 times a week instead of 3 to 4. I dislike push-ups, but they are now part of my daily routine. Body weight squats, lunges, hip raises, some stretching, and long walks. When it gets a little warmer, I've got yard work to do, some wood to chop up, and I can do pullups on the clothesline posts.
5. I got pretty consistent with the flossing in 2019, but have fallen behind again lately.
6. Still walking the cat whenever it's warm enough outside.

Just weeks after that September 2018 post, I found out that I was pre-diabetic. It wasn't just excessive sweets, I was getting too much sugar from fruit juice, gatorade, and energy bars. I started closely monitoring my sugar intake, and it's shocking how much sugar is in foods we don't necessarily think of as sweet, like milk or bread or pasta sauce. Aside from cutting back on the sugar, I didn't change anything else about my diet except step up my consumption of bran, olive oil, and popcorn. I lost 12 pounds and I am no longer pre-diabetic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Nodens, n815e

More
27 Mar 2020 11:43 #308639 by Jackwraith
Congrats, Shellhead. That all sounds really good. Glad you were able to move forward in so many ways. One note on the flossing: Although they contribute a bit more to the landfill, those single-use floss-sticks really make it easier, since you don't have to mess with the thread or finding ways to get your fingers into the right spots (not to mention wedged into your mouth for those of us who still have their wisdom teeth (me).) I wasn't much of a flosser, either, until a few years ago when my regular dental technician leaned on me about it and recommended those. Now I use one every night and the difference is noticeable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, sornars

More
05 Apr 2020 23:55 #308936 by Cranberries

CranBerries wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote: Farting more.

I am eating lots of vegetables for the first time in my life. I had to, because I had acid reflux and an ulcer and had to change my diet. This has actually decreased my farting.

Almost three years later. I love roasting vegetables with garlic salt and unrefined coconut oil. I don't eat bread because it hurts my stomach. Except I'll cheat. Whole wheat sourdough causes fewer problems. I lost a bunch of weight by bicycling and only eating apples at work, but my knee started to bother me and my expensive rear recumbent wheel broke so I haven't ridden in a year, but I just got the wheel rebuild and the hub serviced for $90. I'm so looking forward to getting on that bike and riding for hours by myself while my wife deals with the kids. I thought I was a stronger person, but the virus stuff and my spouse's anxiety are wearing me down. I have a new church job where I'm sort of in charge of the men's group, 150 people. That's always out there, waiting for me. I'm actually sleeping in my shed tonight because it is cold, dark, and nobody can keep me up until midnight watching Britbox. So I guess it's a sleep divorce. I'm looking forward to the cold and quiet.

Here's a story my mom wrote. She's always telling us how she's looking forward to not being alive. I think you can read that in this little kid's narrative:
LITTLE APRICOT

Once there was a little apricot tucked up in the middle of a great big apricot tree. He had so much fun with his friends laughing and playing with them. The sun shone on him and the rain came down and he got bigger and bigger and was happier and happier. He had more and more fun with his friends as the summer moved on.

Then it was fall and before he knew it people came with ladders and started picking all of his friends off the tree. Little apricot hid under the leaves and laughed to himself. They won’t find me –and they didn’t.

Before long all of his friends were in baskets being carried away. Little apricot was so lonely and sad. He swayed with the wind and poked out from behind the leaves he was hiding behind and said, “Come get me. Here I am.” But no one noticed little apricot and he was sadder and sadder.

Then it got colder and colder and little apricot snuggled into the leaves to try to get warm. Then the leaves turned golden then brown and started falling off the tree. The wind got stronger and stronger. Little apricot shivered and shivered and all of a sudden, kerplop, he fell right off the tree.

He snuggled into all the nice warm leaves then then snuggled some more into the soft dirt that was under the leaves. Then he got sleepier and sleepier and the next thing he knew he was sound asleep.

He slept clear until next spring then woke up and was warmer and warmer. He stretched and wiggled and stretched some more then all of a sudden-- pop!!! He wasn’t a little apricot any more. He was a little apricot tree!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.385 seconds