October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What POSITIVE CHANGES are you making in your life?

More
12 Jul 2022 23:39 #334194 by Jexik
I got glasses for the first time in nearly 18 years. I can see marginally better far away.

Was off meds for a bit but have (so far) kept the post office job. Feel like there has to be a foreign word for working so much that it keeps you miserable, but also stable. I’d work a lot fewer hours if I was good (read: fast) at my job, but I’m not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2022 07:54 #334195 by Legomancer
update:

* I am now in my own house, which I have been busy setting up and furnishing
* we have a court date for July 22, but even when we get a judgement it's still like 3 months until divorce is finalized
* I have been titrating off my antidepressants. I'm done with one and spinning down the other. Even when I was taking both at full strength I was miserable and suicidal, so I doubt there's anything lost here
* I have profiles on dating sites. Anyone want to hook up with an old fat nerd? We'll see. But I'm trying to push myself into things I'd otherwise hold back from
* I am amicable with my ex (we aren't fighting about who gets what or anything) but I don't want to be friends. A lot of shit happened that I am not yet ready to forget or forgive and maybe that's not healthy, but I also know that regardless of how I feel about my current situation I still know what got me here. We were doing a zoom lunch on Sundays with her family and I skipped last Sunday's without even a message. Rude, I know, but look, I need space to exist in my new normal and not hold on to old shit. Sorry, in-laws,
* Manic phase of the move is over and a lot of realness is settling in. I know things aren't going to be rosy. I know things I imagined would happen aren't going to happen. I know I have more work to do. It's hard but I feel more prepared to handle it.
* I am absolutely indebted to my friends who have stayed with me through all this, buoyed me, and helped me feel loved. I literally would not be here without them.

More
13 Jul 2022 15:21 #334207 by Gary Sax
I never spoke or texted with my ex after the day I moved out besides getting the court papers together and it's the one strong recommend piece of advice I would give any divorcee of any gender. This is all different if you have kids or deep financial entanglements of course.

I've started watching a ton of streaming TV and movies instead of scrolling the internet and it has been a really healthy change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, hotseatgames, Frohike

More
13 Jul 2022 15:43 #334208 by Msample

Jexik wrote: I got glasses for the first time in nearly 18 years. I can see marginally better far away.

After putting it off for years I was finally forced to get glasses in order to pass the eye exam to renew my drivers license. I can see short distance OK, but my long distance and esp night vision were shit. HUGE difference, wish I had done it sooner. Since I only need them to drive I don't have to worry about misplacing them since I just leave them in the car.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
13 Jul 2022 16:00 #334209 by stormseeker75
Mine vision issue is reading. Too many years of staring at spreadsheets. I will be making an appointment to get glasses as well, unfortunately. I only say unfortunately because I've had superhero vision for my entire life. I've been 20/15 or so until recently.

More
13 Jul 2022 16:05 #334210 by Msample
Yeah 22 years of starting at spreadsheets on a computer was my vision downfall as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
13 Jul 2022 18:03 #334212 by Jackwraith
Yup. Joining the chorus. Had 20/15 in my left and 20/20 in my right for much of my life and then things started declining to the point where I have a hard time reading road signs (white lettering on green) at night. My ophthalmologist says I have some cataracts developing, but they're not a real problem yet, but otherwise "It's just sign of age!" Thanks. No, really. But it's become more of an issue reading, as well. I need more light than before and really have to focus on smaller type. Yay.

More
13 Jul 2022 18:26 #334213 by ChristopherMD
My parents and siblings all need glasses their whole lives. I'm the only one in my family with perfect vision. So even if I lose it now I still feel lucky.

More
14 Jul 2022 08:30 #334224 by the_jake_1973
I've been wearing glasses for the last 35 years and my eyes have leveled out at about a -5.25/-4.75 (L/R) for the last 5 years or so. I've settled on the weekly contacts as my default mode since I can sleep with them in for weeks at a time. I rest my eyes from them with a pair of glasses every couple months. I can't take the plunge into the lasik stuff even though it would probably help my mini painting. I don't want to be that 1% that has shit go wrong with my only set of eyes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
14 Jul 2022 09:30 #334226 by Shellhead
I've been wearing glasses (or contacts) for most of my life. When I went in for an eye exam last fall, my eyesight had actually improved, which unfortunately meant that I needed a new pair of glasses for the updated prescription.

More
14 Jul 2022 22:17 - 14 Jul 2022 22:24 #334253 by Sagrilarus
I’m 58 and am in reading glasses, 1.75s.

So I have a very good vision plan through work, and don’t need prescription glasses for day to day. So on a flyer I had a pair of bifocals made that are designed for four feet and ten inches. That is, pieces on a board or map on the table, and mini-cards with small print on them. I even brought game counters in with me to the appointment to lay on the table for a reference.

The result is an odd pair of glasses that I at first thought were a failure. But I pressed myself to use them on a couple of game nights including one with cards and counters, and after a bit I trained myself to use them. They worked out well. I can look over the top so I get triple vision out of them, and even cards with microprint are in reach, because I can hold them close enough to read. I don’t need them every game night, but some nights they’re invaluable.

The doc thought I was nutty. “How will you read your computer with these?” But with basic frames they cost me $70, and they filled the real gap I had. My readers solve my computer needs and given how often I get angry at my code it’s good to have $4 readers to throw across the room. For games I need longer and shorter. These are much better than wearing two pairs of reading glasses when the mini-cards come out.
Last edit: 14 Jul 2022 22:24 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries, Legomancer, birdman37, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
16 Jul 2022 23:58 #334297 by Cranberries

given how often I get angry at my code it’s good to have $4 readers to throw across the room.

I love the little things I learn on this site.

More
04 Aug 2022 08:26 #334780 by Legomancer
took my last Effexor this morning. now antidepressant-free
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, cdennett, Nodens

More
04 Aug 2022 10:50 #334790 by stormseeker75
I hope you're not going cold turkey! Effexor has some nasty side effects when you do. And if you've weaned off, then I hope it wasn't awful for you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Nodens

More
04 Aug 2022 12:43 #334794 by Legomancer
I was on Remerol and Effexor, and have been titrating off of them. (Things weren't good when I was on them full dose, so I doubt they were doing much.) I've been tapering down for weeks, today was just the final dose.

So far the only side effects have been: return of restless leg syndrome, difficulty focusing, irritability. I figure I still have a couple weeks of those but only the focus has been really bad.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds