October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What POSITIVE CHANGES are you making in your life?

More
03 Nov 2017 00:20 - 03 Nov 2017 00:21 #256895 by SuperflyPete
I have too many good friends across the globe to give it up. I skew sociopathic and would never call anyone or correspond in any way if it wasn’t easy.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2017 00:21 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2017 00:57 - 03 Nov 2017 00:59 #256897 by ThirstyMan
Only reason I'm still on Facebook is for the ASL group, which is great for rules questions and general help. Occasional postings from Church of Satan, Church of the Sub Genius (Hail Bob) keep me sane.

Wargamer's Marketplace, run by Joel, is a useful resource for getting 'grail' games and such like.

On the plus side, Facebook's algorithm for targeted advertising really doesn't know what to make of me.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2017 00:59 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
03 Nov 2017 09:08 #256906 by Shellhead
After talking it over with me, my sister checked my mother into a hospice this week. My mother has been suffering from dementia for the last nine years, and my sister is a nurse, so she moved in to take care of her. Last year, my mom started using a wheelchair because she was having some balance issues. Now she has been diagnosed with cancer and it is already stage four. A few days ago, my mom stopped eating and drinking. So the hospice will keep her hydrated and ease her pain.

My girlfriend is concerned, because I dealt with my father's death by stuffing down all my emotions and working hard. During the seven months after his death, I got the flu twice and the common cold four times. I nearly got fired, and then I became acting CEO for six weeks. So my girlfriend wants me to try to process my feelings in a more healthy way this time. I don't know what that means, but it sounds good. Therapy isn't in the budget, but maybe I could try meditation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, Cranberries, Black Barney, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
03 Nov 2017 10:02 #256917 by san il defanso
I'm really trying to get into some healthier sleep patterns. I'm inclined to stay up really late most nights, and I still have to get up around 6 AM or so, so that means I often end up with around 5 hours of sleep. I would really like to get that average up to more like 7-8.

More
03 Nov 2017 10:16 #256920 by Black Barney
San, change your bedtime routine maybe. Take a bath before bed and/or read. Take 3mg of melatonin.

Shell, really sorry to hear about your mom dude. I'm going to be a mess when it happens to me as well. She's looking into moving in a home a couple of hours away (she's in Florida now) so i'm glad she's seeking care. You need to take care of yourself. Working hard works but it's a distraction. You gotta eat, sleep and exercise. Those three things are really important and find ways to relax. Yoga, meditation are excellent ideas. Maybe exercise with your g/f? IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, san il defanso

More
03 Nov 2017 10:23 #256921 by san il defanso
Thankfully, I'm not dealing with any insomnia these days (I have in past). I'm just the type who is used in my routine to staying up late and farting around. I find I'm generally able to go to sleep when I get to bed at a decent hour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 Nov 2017 10:52 #256924 by Cranberries

Black Barney wrote: San, change your bedtime routine maybe. Take a bath before bed and/or read. Take 3mg of melatonin.

news.mit.edu/2001/melatonin-1017

"According to our research, the physiological dose of melatonin of about 0.3 milligrams restores sleep in adults over the age of 50," said Wurtman, lead investigator in the study. "The adults who would normally wake up during the second and third thirds of the night were able to sleep through the night with the 0.3 milligram dosage."
The researchers also discovered that the typical health food store dosage of melatonin, which is about three milligrams (or 10 times the dosage in the study), is less effective in treating insomnia. In addition, the higher dosage can cause potentially serious side effects, including hypothermia (low body temperature). The study also showed that the higher dosage elevated plasma melatonin levels during the day, which can cause a "hangover" effect in some of the subjects.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 Nov 2017 10:55 #256926 by dysjunct
I have now meditated for the second consecutive day. IT’S A STREAK!!

Annoyance: I am no longer flexible enough to sit in full lotus.

Another annoyance: I have the usual popping up of stupid thoughts about my day, or things bothering me, etc. I am pretty good about letting those go as soon as they appear. The more insidious issue is when my brain starts thinking about the process itself. How I would explain it to someone else, or justify criticism, or whatever. I am slow to recognize that kind of thing. Stupid nerd brain, always with the need to categorize, conceptualize, and classify. Ugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
03 Nov 2017 10:55 - 03 Nov 2017 10:56 #256927 by Black Barney
lol, i remember reading that study and I was trying to give the exact dosage from that study, but got it wrong by 10x cuz of bad memory. i better never become a doctor or pharmacist. Yikes.

I think the dosage I have at home is actually 3mg or 5mg. My pharmacy sells 10mg.

dysjunk, you don't have to do full lotus to mediate. You can do it on your back with your hand on your heart, and one of your foots on the side of your knee. I get a peaceful state quickly like that, especially if you have a decent bed. I just got a new one (Serta) and it's awesome.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2017 10:56 by Black Barney.

More
03 Nov 2017 11:15 #256929 by dysjunct

Black Barney wrote: dysjunk, you don't have to do full lotus to mediate.

I know, but I feel like I should. No good reason. I can do half-lotus easily enough, or Burmese style.

More
03 Nov 2017 11:28 #256933 by stormseeker75

dysjunct wrote: I have now meditated for the second consecutive day. IT’S A STREAK!!

Annoyance: I am no longer flexible enough to sit in full lotus.

Another annoyance: I have the usual popping up of stupid thoughts about my day, or things bothering me, etc. I am pretty good about letting those go as soon as they appear. The more insidious issue is when my brain starts thinking about the process itself. How I would explain it to someone else, or justify criticism, or whatever. I am slow to recognize that kind of thing. Stupid nerd brain, always with the need to categorize, conceptualize, and classify. Ugh.

Keep doing Headspace. When they talk about cars in traffic, you will totally understand what is going on in your brain. And the more you meditate, the easier it gets to not get caught up.

I had a real breakthrough this morning that I completely attribute to mindfullness: I decided I would get some jank breakfast from Burger King. Normally, I follow this up with a day full of attrocious eating. Not today, Satan. Today, I was able to analyze when I was full, when I was hungry, and not get caught up in the mania that used to accompany that kind of meal. To state that I am like a junkie underplays the seriousness of addiction so I will instead say that I am easily enticed into overeating, hence the fact that I've gained so much weight. This little victory today showed me that I can absolutely get my weight back down and I don't have to suffer to do it.

Mindfullness is the real deal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
03 Nov 2017 11:50 #256937 by Colorcrayons

san il defanso wrote: Thankfully, I'm not dealing with any insomnia these days (I have in past). I'm just the type who is used in my routine to staying up late and farting around. I find I'm generally able to go to sleep when I get to bed at a decent hour.

Just a shot in the dark, San, but are you the introverted type who deals with everybody else's stuff all day long with out a period of doing what you'd like during that time?

If so, I think the reason for the late night habits is personal decompression. To have time 'to do you', when everyone else is asleep.

Its a common introversion problem. They need that time to recharge. Finding that during the day can be difficult, but can be overcome with managing priorities so that you become one of those priorities.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike

More
03 Nov 2017 13:24 - 03 Nov 2017 13:24 #256953 by san il defanso

Colorcrayons wrote:

san il defanso wrote: Thankfully, I'm not dealing with any insomnia these days (I have in past). I'm just the type who is used in my routine to staying up late and farting around. I find I'm generally able to go to sleep when I get to bed at a decent hour.

Just a shot in the dark, San, but are you the introverted type who deals with everybody else's stuff all day long with out a period of doing what you'd like during that time?

If so, I think the reason for the late night habits is personal decompression. To have time 'to do you', when everyone else is asleep.

Its a common introversion problem. They need that time to recharge. Finding that during the day can be difficult, but can be overcome with managing priorities so that you become one of those priorities.

Actually, I'm extremely extroverted. I'm the type who really enjoys social settings. But as I've gotten older I've actually learned that I do need some alone time, and that I value those moments to myself. It's hard to find that while everyone else is still awake.

I do have a harder time sleeping if I've been unable to be in purely social situations with no motive besides just being together. I need something like that every so often to pull it together. It can be hard to make happen in a church setting, especially as the pastor. I have a lot of interactions, but most of them are in at least a nominally professional setting.

So even though I'm extroverted, I think you may be on to something.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2017 13:24 by san il defanso.

More
03 Nov 2017 13:37 #256956 by Colorcrayons
I myself an an introvert, but on the extroverted side. I thrive in most social gatherings. I'd even go so far as to say that without social interaction, I become deeply depressed and unhappy.

Despite that, I need that me time. If I don't get it, I become erratic in my behavior. I've been called selfish and other monikers when I've excused myself from, well, basically the world. But I've learned that it is necessary for my well being and explain why afterwards if need be.

Self care is not something our society at large welcomes unless you do it in public as a group, like a gym. Mental health is just what crazy and weak people need, apparently. *shrug*
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney, san il defanso, Frohike, Gregarius

More
03 Nov 2017 13:55 #256962 by Black Barney
i like to think of myself as a major extravert, but i desperately need "me time" to decompress. Last night my buddies wanted to go out drinking until all hours of the night but i made sure to go home alone first, have dinner, play some games and then join up later. Otherwise I would have been a mess i think.

Crayons, everything you're describing sounds exactly like me. It makes me feel good to see it written out, and to feel some commonality on it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike, Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds