October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What POSITIVE CHANGES are you making in your life?

More
01 Nov 2017 18:46 - 01 Nov 2017 18:46 #256823 by dysjunct
Alright, I talked myself into it. Tomorrow morning I will get my ass on a cushion.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2017 18:46 by dysjunct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2017 09:20 #256848 by Cranberries

MattDP wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: I don’t smoke weed. Or meth.

I've started smoking weed. And meth.

I've started taking small doses of kratom on the days I haven't slept well. It upsets my stomach slightly but it's worth it.

More
02 Nov 2017 12:00 #256863 by SuperflyPete
Jackwraith - if you have interest in really making a difference in the world using the skills you have, I’d recommend going into the field of EPA compliance consulting, since you have law experience.

There’s too few in the US and most of them are so tuned toward rolling back law that it’s kind of sickening. I’ve never met one that really seemed interested in making things better.

Just my 2c. If I knew at 18 what I knew now, I wouldn’ve gone to law school with a Environmental Science minor and gone into it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Jackwraith

More
02 Nov 2017 12:12 #256864 by Jackwraith
Huh. That's a cool idea. Thanks. Most of my legal experience is in contracts, but that's at least a starting point.

More
02 Nov 2017 13:57 #256871 by derekjinx
I use Insight Timer on iOS. It's free and has all kinds of meditations.

Also i recommend the book 'Joy on Demand' by Chade-Meng Tan. I never actually finished the book, but basically I just do the simple breathing exercises that I learned in that book to 'steal away' a few minutes each day, to increase my inner peace... I've come to understand any mindfulness is good mindfulness, and really combats the stress, anxiety, and panic associated with modern living.

More
02 Nov 2017 15:14 #256873 by OldHippy
I stopped posting on F:AT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
02 Nov 2017 15:17 #256874 by Black Barney
JJ, it's not What POSITIVE CHANGES are you making in OTHERS' lives

More
02 Nov 2017 15:21 - 02 Nov 2017 15:48 #256875 by Cranberries

JonJacob wrote: I stopped posting on F:AT.

You had a two month streak and you threw it away for the sake of a one-liner. I would expect no less.

I have started posting to Facebook less frequently. They really don't need to know every single thought in my head. That same rationale applies to F:AT as well, of course.
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Nov 2017 15:48 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
02 Nov 2017 15:35 #256876 by lj1983
I've been getting up at 3AM to exercise. since moving from the field to a desk job it.... has become necessary.

More
02 Nov 2017 16:02 - 02 Nov 2017 16:03 #256877 by Black Barney
...cuz i'm fat now.

Cranberries, I think I need to start doing that (less FB posts). I posted a picture of me in front of a billboard for the WPT in Montreal. It's a promotion where you could win a $5k tournament package. K? That's it.

First post is my step mom: What is that? I don't know what this is.
BB: It's a contest, no big deal.
Stepmom: What contest is for?
BB: poker stuffs
Stepmom; oh, ok. Let me know if you win.

*sigh*

then my sister posts: "if you win, please help me with my mortgage"

jesus... i hate facebook
Last edit: 02 Nov 2017 16:03 by Black Barney.

More
02 Nov 2017 20:02 #256885 by Frohike
I've been doing Tai Chi for over a decade now, but it's not the usual slow delicate stuff I've seen in most representations of Tai Chi practice. The format of the class is more geared toward applications and martial work; a hodgepodge of Baji, Xing Yi, Kung Fu, Baguazhang, Wing Chun. We do applications for about 3/4 of the class, then work the lessons learned into the Tai Chi forms, mostly Chen (long form). It's great exercise, particularly for someone of my height (6'4'') who isn't accustomed to doing a lot of low stance work.

My alcohol intake had started to ramp up over the past few years as life got more stressful and I've consciously dialed that back. It was making me prone to mood swings and didn't help my proclivity toward depression and anxiety, both of which I've been treated for in the past, and both of which I struggle with at least once a month probably in perpetuity (judging from my family history).

I've started meditating, using the Headspace app to remind me and add some guidance. It's definitely given me some tools to allow me to observe my reaction to experiences, rather than be completely engulfed by those reactions. Though I'd looked into this to deal with stress, it's opened some curiosity in this 45 year old brain about more spiritual matters. I think I need to explore that but I'm guessing that Zen practice won't be a reality for me until the kids are off to college and my schedule gets a little less crazy. As it stands, I have a tween and teen in my house, both homeschooled and both very active (martial arts, synchronized swimming, violin, piano, flute, rocketry, art, school stuff), so I don't think I'll be visiting the Zen center anytime soon.

I've also started medicating with a sativa strain (usually Jack Herer) at night if I'm feeling the gloom begin to descend. I think I've found the dosage that gives me just enough of a kick to get my mood back into some semblance of homeostasis before my brain gets the chance to start attaching the negative "turn" to reasons that don't really exist (the usual foothold of depression for me). Too much, and I enter Everything Is Awesome land for a couple of hours, which is... ok occasionally but not great if I want to get anything done (painting, gaming, writing, etc.). It's working for me so far, though, going on 7 months now. An added bonus: I have less of an inclination to drink alcohol.

I'm staying off of most social media lately. Facebook and Twitter usage have taken a nosedive. My usual time-wasting site-check during the day is this one and sometimes a combined scanning of /r/boardgames, /r/boargamescirclejerk (as a palliative to the frequent idiocy on /r/boardgames), and /r/minipainting

Overall, I feel like my life is reaching a balance, though I still feel submerged by my current career choice. I want to write, not manage coders, but I don't see an immediate path into that quite yet. I'm the main source of family income, and we don't want to move (Santa Cruz is just fuckin' amazing), so any career change at this point will require strategy & patience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Black Barney, stormseeker75

More
02 Nov 2017 20:35 #256886 by Chapel
I stopped being a corporate lackey and got together with some friends to create a software startup. It been crazy busy, and for the first time I feel like I have control over my financial future. I have 10 years before I start paying for the kids college. Making it so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperflyPete, Frohike

More
02 Nov 2017 21:23 #256888 by dysjunct
I deleted my Facebook account. It’s been a long time coming. I mildly regret not seeing pictures of my nieces and nephews, but really, that is a small price to pay for not being exposed to the sheer volume of stupidity and ignorance that blasts through there every day.

I hear Zuckerberg is writing me a personal letter begging me to come back, but fuck that guy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, SuperflyPete, Frohike

More
02 Nov 2017 21:32 #256889 by Black Barney
I deleted my FB once and it was great. I’m pretty sure that day is going to happen again . I’ve got privacy settings maxed out and only have 41 friends that somehow found me and already it’s becoming too much of an annoyance

I hate it

More
02 Nov 2017 23:23 #256891 by Cranberries
I have deleted it twice. Every time I start it back up, the people I was friends with and interacted with in the past sort of fade away, like they're pissed that I left, or maybe people just use Facebook less now. I only regret the feature that says "on this day twelve years ago, you wrote about your prostate" but I can get some of that through the Google Photos "day in your life" reminders. I find out about a lot of community events that I wouldn't otherwise know about, and have kept in touch with perhaps four people that would otherwise be invisible to me. My son doesn't use his account, and I wish he was more social (Asperger's). I went in there and added about three hundred friends on his account. But, he never uses it. He has friends from our two years in Doha, but never contacts them, even though it's clear they got along and talked every day. I don't know what is going to happen to this kid. He spends all day in his room, but his sister says he talks to friends at school. On Halloween night he dressed up and handed out candy, then went to bed early. He's too freaked out or anxious to go see Thor Ragnarok on opening day, even though apparently it's all he and his friends can talk about. /sad
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.398 seconds