October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) do you REGRET not going in for?

More
28 Aug 2018 18:00 - 28 Aug 2018 20:01 #280546 by Gary Sax
I have the tiny Xia expansion and this Pax Pamir order. Think that's it. Been good about KS the last year or two...

Let's try something new: which games do you legitimately regret *not* backing that have delivered so far?

For me, I slightly regret not backing Root, Dungeon Degenerates, and 7th Continent. That's about it... and I just ordered Root's base game retail so I just missed a slightly better price and the expansion on that one.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2018 20:01 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B., ChristopherMD, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2018 18:03 #280548 by barrowdown

Gary Sax wrote: For me, I slightly regret not backing Root, Dungeon Degenerates, and 7th Continent. That's about it... and I just ordered Root's base game retail so I just missed a slightly better price and the expansion on that one.

That list looks surprisingly similar to mine, though I would probably also add Gloomhaven.

I'm currently waiting on:

SotM: Oblivaeon, which I guess has shipped to 80%+ of backers.
Kingdom Death, wave 3 and 4.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
28 Aug 2018 18:25 - 28 Aug 2018 23:05 #280550 by Jackwraith
The only one I've ever backed was Big Trouble in Little China that had so many production delays and so little communication from the makers that I'm reluctant to ever get involved in another one. It was cheap (only $100) and it finally delivered a few weeks back and I still haven't gotten it to the table.

I guess I kind of regret not getting in on Cthulhu Wars because of how people have raved about it here, Rising Sun, and Lords of Hellas. But the latter two are sitting on the shelf at my FLGS and are on Amazon, so I guess I can get them whenever. It might be more difficult to pick up some of the extras, but those seem to be showing up, too. I came in after the KS for The Others had ended and it was being sold in regular retail by CMON and I've been able to pick up everything that came with the KS campaign except Men of Faith. So, yeah, I'm not sure that I'm concerned about missing out on anything.

Ken, I like the general idea of Crusaders, since I'm a huge fan of ancient and medieval history (the AMC show was awful...) But a quick look at the mechanics makes the game look a little strange for the theme and it's showing a shipping date of June, but I'm assuming it missed that?
Last edit: 28 Aug 2018 23:05 by Jackwraith.

More
28 Aug 2018 18:42 #280553 by Not Sure
I have Pax Pamir 2e out (for the next year or so), and nothing else. Until yesterday I was 100% received. The Argent upgrade pack and Root both delivered roughly on time.

I can't think of anything I really feel like I missed out on. There's probably a ton of stuff I might like, but I just don't care to dig that much. A couple of mid-priced shelf toads a year is fine with me. A $300 shelf toad is where I come to my senses.

I have Imperial Struggle and a couple of COIN upgrade packs on P500 at GMT as well, I guess. But only the one Kickstarter.

More
28 Aug 2018 18:53 #280557 by ChristopherMD

Gary Sax wrote: Let's try something new: which games do you legitimately regret *not* backing that have delivered so far?

This would be better as its own thread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Not Sure

More
28 Aug 2018 19:07 #280560 by Not Sure

ChristopherMD wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: Let's try something new: which games do you legitimately regret *not* backing that have delivered so far?

This would be better as its own thread.

Definitely. "What MISSING OUT are you FEARING?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Jackwraith, Frohike, birdman37

More
28 Aug 2018 19:44 - 29 Aug 2018 19:40 #280563 by Frohike
Still waiting for my copy of FTL-in-a-box: Deep Space D6. It's the last KS I thought I'd have problems with, but it's been the most delayed. Well, assuming Siege of the Citadel actually ships this year.

Waiting on the second wave of 7th Continent stuff, Folklore: The Affliction, and Unbroken, though not particularly chomping at the bit for any of it.

After selling off Darkest Night I gave VPG another chance & backed the 2nd printing of Dawn of the Zeds 3rd Ed.

Regrets? Very few. I initially regretted not backing Rising Sun but now feel no real urge to play it. Same for Darklight Memento Mori. My only regret would be not backing the original Dungeon Degenerates campaign, but I feel like I've more than made up for it by supporting their product at retail. I do regret backing Siege of the Citadel which is picking up a certain... smell to it. Eric Lang bailed on designing his scenarios and the production just seems to be languishing. It'll probably be a jumbled mess when it finally does ship out & I'm considering selling it when it arrives.

I'm waiting for the Claustrophobia campaign with some curiosity. The pictures on BGG made me hang on to my 1st edition stuff since I'm not quite sure where they're headed in terms of a redesign. It looks a little more like revamp to bring it more in line with a Conan system (crystal pool allocation, etc).

In the past month, I've culled a few pre-orders & KS games that either no longer interested me or weren't going to get played:
  • Darkest Night (obliterated by Dungeon Degenerates)
  • Near & Far (see above)
  • Fallout (maybe later, when the co-op expansion comes out)
  • Fury of Dracula (will never get played when Specter Ops is on the same shelf)

Flipped the above into some stronger selections:
  • Modern Art
  • Through the Desert
  • Quest for El Dorado
  • El Grande ("Big Box" *grumble*)
Last edit: 29 Aug 2018 19:40 by Frohike.

More
28 Aug 2018 20:02 - 28 Aug 2018 20:02 #280566 by Gary Sax
Made a new thread. Sorry if I sucked any legit replies for the previous thread in it (Frohike)
Last edit: 28 Aug 2018 20:02 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
28 Aug 2018 20:19 #280568 by Shellhead
So far, I have no regrets. All the best games seem to become available for general purpose after the Kickstarter is over, and I have enjoyed several games of that nature. However, I will be a sad panda if the Camp Grizzly expansion pack isn't available via their website in the coming months.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Msample, Frohike

More
28 Aug 2018 20:33 #280570 by ChristopherMD
I regretted not backing Dawn of the Zeds 3rd Edition first printing so I backed Dawn of the Zeds 3rd Edition second printing.

Anything else I've picked up at retail or direct from publisher.

More
28 Aug 2018 21:01 - 29 Aug 2018 00:26 #280572 by Cranberries
I am going to regret not backing the 2nd edition of Pax Pamir. It looks great, and streamlined, but I have no players and daughter's saxophone is falling apart. I thought of finding the money to get it just to read the cards, but then realized I could just read " The Great Game " instead.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243243962/...pamir-second-edition

I think they've doubled their goal in a few hours.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2018 00:26 by Cranberries.

More
28 Aug 2018 22:19 #280579 by Not Sure

cranberries wrote: I am going to regret not backing the 2nd edition of Pax Pamir. It looks great, and streamlined, but I have no players and daughter's saxophone is falling apart. I thought of finding the money to get it just to read the cards, but then realized I could just read " The Great Game " instead.

Good plan. I'd also recommend Return of a King .

If you ever want to play either version on Vassal, give us a shout. We can make that happen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
28 Aug 2018 22:47 #280581 by Gary Sax
Same w/Root, btw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
28 Aug 2018 23:03 #280583 by ubarose
Windwalker expansion for Cthulhu Wars. I bought Sleeper instead, because they were cuter. Didn’t have much info at the time on how the different expansions played.

More
28 Aug 2018 23:05 #280584 by ubarose

Shellhead wrote: So far, I have no regrets. All the best games seem to become available for general purpose after the Kickstarter is over, and I have enjoyed several games of that nature. However, I will be a sad panda if the Camp Grizzly expansion pack isn't available via their website in the coming months.

Also hoping the Camp Grizzly expansion will be available.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds