October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

Games Workshop--what are you buying, selling, playing, or painting?

More
11 Mar 2019 19:21 #293685 by Michael Barnes
I am not a big fan of color metallics- I think this would look better with plain old Khorne Red. Or, you can do something kind of nutty and paint the metal parts with Ironbreaker or Stormhost Silver and glaze it with Soulstone Red- it’s one of those gel-like gem paints. That may look cool.

Silver is maybe too contrasty- Khorne is usually brass, so something like Brass Scorpion/Skullcrusher brass?

I like the idea of reversing the colors a lot- put the color on the trim. Lots of potential for a cool and distinctive look.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2019 19:38 #293687 by hotseatgames
The Blood God does not reward creativity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
11 Mar 2019 20:06 #293688 by GorillaGrody
Yeah, if I had Khorne to do again I would have done them in black with red accents, something like:

[/i]
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
12 Mar 2019 00:31 #293697 by blatz
I just painted my Khorne dudes this weekend. Nothing too creative, just a little ethnic diversity for the blood god.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik, GorillaGrody

More
12 Mar 2019 06:02 #293698 by Hadik
The shading on the armor plates looks great. Nice golds too!
The following user(s) said Thank You: blatz

More
12 Mar 2019 09:52 #293701 by Matt Thrower
Thanks for the suggestions y'all. That actually is transparent "gem" paint over black-washed silver.

Now paralysed by indecision. Might assemble and paint the Thorns of the Briar Queen instead.

More
12 Mar 2019 20:39 #293724 by GorillaGrody
Making quick progress with my Alpha Skaven. 2000 points and just 15 models. Have my first match-up with an Idoneth Player tomorrow.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Jackwraith, hotseatgames, Sevej, birdman37, blatz, Hadik

More
13 Mar 2019 08:25 #293738 by Michael Barnes
Why you gotta troll these good people with this Golden Demon quality stuff like that?

Warcry teaser video is out. It’s not quite AOS KT. Maybe more Gorechosen-y? But it is advertised as being from the creators of it and Underworlds. It appears to be a new line of Chaos/Slaves to Darkness models and terrain. New subfactions. I’m thinking we will see set warbands like Underworlds, not the “buy an army box” format of KT. New terrain looks pretty good, but definitely not Mordheim.

I think the all Chaos thing might put some folks off...but I’m kind of down with the focus. And there’s always room for other new factions later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, GorillaGrody

More
13 Mar 2019 11:20 #293749 by blatz
Actually, this looks more like AOS Necrumunda to me.

More
13 Mar 2019 11:29 #293750 by GorillaGrody

Michael Barnes wrote: Why you gotta troll these good people with this Golden Demon quality stuff like that?

Warcry teaser video is out. It’s not quite AOS KT. Maybe more Gorechosen-y? But it is advertised as being from the creators of it and Underworlds. It appears to be a new line of Chaos/Slaves to Darkness models and terrain. New subfactions. I’m thinking we will see set warbands like Underworlds, not the “buy an army box” format of KT. New terrain looks pretty good, but definitely not Mordheim.

I think the all Chaos thing might put some folks off...but I’m kind of down with the focus. And there’s always room for other new factions later.

Thanks!

I will always be the voice of doom on this stuff, but when I see a game like this from GW with a tight-but-potentially-expandable focus, I just think "greater and more discrete future payment cycle." With, of course, a cycling rules creep that makes the game unplayable after a couple of months and turns us all back into the miniature collectors we were supposed to stop being after the Tom Kirby era.

What kept me in this hobby in the post-Kirby era was the ability to play using my figures in actual games. This churning release schedule makes the game--all the GW games-- nigh unplayable. Underworlds is the only thing so far that's kept a tight focus on core gameplay mechanisms.

Anyway, it looks awfully nice. www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/11/breaking-news-from-gama/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Virabhadra

More
13 Mar 2019 14:44 #293768 by Jackwraith
That creep/cycle thing was a topic of much conversation among the GW-inclined people I knew a decade ago. Kirby always tossed out his "modeling company with gaming rules" horseshit, but their approach completely belied that statement. If that was the case, you'd keep the same Skaven rules and just bring out a new version of the Bell model every couple years. Furthermore, you'd sell the army books as loss leaders in order to entice people to buy models with pretty pictures, rather than charge $40 for a 50-page paperback. The core of their audience were always gamers, not modelers. When they came out with a cool new model for the Warp Lightning Cannon, it came with cool, new rules to encourage people to buy the hunk of pewter. But those cool, new rules usually meant breaking the old ones in true Cosmic Encounter fashion, which usually created the power creep that you're citing.

Of course, in some cases, the rules were actually updates to things that didn't work. I think of 6th Ed Dark Elves with one of the most beautiful model lines available... which sat dusty on the shelves because the army was unplayable in a competitive sense. Of course, the usual GW pendulum swung to the 7th Ed DE book which was a powergaming fiasco. But it's that cycle of army/model changes that finally drove me out of the game (that and the spiraling prices for required giant monsters.) I just didn't want to be wholly replacing chunks of my army every couple years, either because they'd been written out or because the new rules/armies made them untenable. My saving grace in Fantasy for a long time was the 7th Ed Skaven book, which sat unchanged for many years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, GorillaGrody, Virabhadra

More
13 Mar 2019 18:20 - 13 Mar 2019 18:21 #293778 by Virabhadra
I sold off my small Tyranid several years ago for exactly that reason. When I heard about the Codex change and the new models, I decided it was too expensive to keep up. I really wish I still had my fully-magnetized Tyranid Warriors now that Kill Team is a thing.

Thanks for that link, Grody! I have to say... I would be thrilled about the Blackstone Fortress: Traitor Command expansion if I wasn't worried it's going to cost as much as the Ambull expansion for two measly models.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2019 18:21 by Virabhadra.

More
13 Mar 2019 18:28 #293780 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, Ambull was really overpriced and I expect this expansion will be too. It should be a $35 expansion. It actually does include quite a lot of game content aside from the models, and it is a really cool piece...but oof, $60 retail? And it’s an ETB/single pose kit that takes about 2 minutes to build.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik

More
14 Mar 2019 05:31 #293794 by Matt Thrower

Michael Barnes wrote: Warcry teaser video is out. It’s not quite AOS KT. Maybe more Gorechosen-y? But it is advertised as being from the creators of it and Underworlds.

Meh.

More
14 Mar 2019 11:01 #293802 by GorillaGrody
Had a fun matchup vs Idoneth last night. Still had almost no idea what the Idoneth did, as is typical of Warhammer games, but the Skaven were fun to play, as they were all bulked-up rats (15 models total) who kicked out Mortal Wounds, thus cutting out all the idiotic dice resolution. I supercharged everything, rolled double ones on one of my Doomwheels and blew it up definitively, crippled my Warp Lightning Cannons but killed a giant sea turtle in the process. Great fun, each moment processed within single-roll resolutions.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds