October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
07 Feb 2022 19:52 - 07 Feb 2022 19:53 #330532 by Disgustipater

Michael Barnes wrote: Whatever happened to Omega Virus?

From Restoration Games: "We're just starting development on it now. Targeting next year for a release."
Last edit: 07 Feb 2022 19:53 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2022 02:41 #330545 by mads b.

Ah_Pook wrote: There's a Deep Rock Galactic coop boardgame coming to Kickstarter sometime soon. I am sceptical about it bringing anything new/interesting to the extremely crowded field of minis based dungeon crawlers, but the video game is great so I'm at least interested enough to look into it whenever it shows up.

I've playtested a late prototype of this. I haven't played the video game, but it seemed to me like a lot of things from the VG was implemented without bloating the game with lots of little rules and exceptions. The minis look great, the four main characters seem like they will require different playstyles, and overall it felt like a quick and dirty "shoot the bad guys and get the loot"-game. I did, however, found that the enemies crowded the board without being a real threat which meant that you spent too much time moving small critters. The designer said he had some solutions to that, so I'm pretty sure that will change which will also ramp up the difficulty a bit. But for me the biggest draw was the lack of story. I don't find the story of four dudes trying to get rich by killing the locals all that engaging, but on the other hand that is pretty much the idea of the game. I just wanted some more missions that were about rescuing someone, killing a big threat, or something else with a bit more at stake. That could also be something to look at.

All that being said the core system seemed solid. You get to chuck a lot of dice, help your friends when they're in a tight spot, and curse about lack of ammo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Ah_Pook, n815e

More
08 Feb 2022 10:36 #330557 by Shellhead

Disgustipater wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: Whatever happened to Omega Virus?

From Restoration Games: "We're just starting development on it now. Targeting next year for a release."

By coincidence, I just came across a comic book ad for the original Omega Virus game. I am re-reading the excellent Peter David run on the Hulk, and I am in 1992 right now.

More
08 Feb 2022 14:02 #330577 by Virabhadra
I had The Omega Virus in first grade, and re-bought and played it with some buddies in grad school. There was more game there than we had expected but the computer got to be so irritating that one guy shut the damn thing off in fit of rage near the end of the game. Would they go app for the Virus, I wonder?

More
08 Feb 2022 15:09 #330581 by Michael Barnes
I’d expect something like Dark Tower- toy plus app. Which seems to work well.

I’ve come to realize I just like what Restoration does in general. I think I actually have all of their releases now except for the Dinosaur Tea Party thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, jay718

More
09 Feb 2022 12:18 #330616 by Disgustipater
I know I’m way late to the party on the insanity of Kickstarter backers, but it’s my first time, so forgive me.

I’ve been following the Thunder Road campaign fairly closely (I know I’m doing this to myself by reading all the comments, but it’s like watching a train wreck). I am appalled by the mindset/entitlement of backers.
People are freaking out about the slow progress of the campaign, as if the final number matters AT ALL. One person even said the campaign is failing because it isn’t generating enough FOMO (what?!). Then there’s the people suggesting all sorts of ludicrous upgrades, like neoprene mats, NPC vehicles, and metal die cast upgraded pieces, and getting upset when Restoration Games shuts those ideas down.
I’m sure this is par for the course, but I just can’t wrap my head around this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus, drewcula, sornars, cdennett, Gregarius, BillyBobThwarton, n815e, Kmann

More
09 Feb 2022 12:52 #330618 by drewcula

Michael Barnes wrote: I’d expect something like Dark Tower- toy plus app. Which seems to work well.

I await my big box of Dark Tower Returning with trepidation all the while distinctly remembering that Barnes initially (?) thought RG was WAAAAAY OFF with their approach to its restoration.

I'm wary myself of the Dark Tower's arrival. It seems to me as though attention spans will be divided between an app and a tower. The competitive play mode was a secondary consideration after its co op focus, and.. and... and I just don't know. I miss Bob Pepper.

We'll see.

More
09 Feb 2022 13:00 #330619 by drewcula

Disgustipater wrote: People are freaking out about the slow progress of the campaign, as if the final number matters AT ALL. One person even said the campaign is failing because it isn’t generating enough FOMO (what?!). Then there’s the people suggesting all sorts of ludicrous upgrades, like neoprene mats, NPC vehicles, and metal die cast upgraded pieces, and getting upset when Restoration Games shuts those ideas down.
I’m sure this is par for the course, but I just can’t wrap my head around this.

It's gross. By and large, KS comments are a cess pool of entitlement and/or ignorance.

RG's messaging has been peculiar with this KS. They've expressed some disappointment in their numbers in regards to campaign trajectories. But at the same time, they acknowledge they made a lucrative offer to Backers: Support us for ONE DOLLAR.

Some will do so because they purely believe in the project and want to throw a few cents their way.
They're in the minority.
Some are just looking around, and don't want to commit. Maybe now, maybe not, or maybe not at all.
I bet there are a few of these.
And SOME are there because they want the game, maybe the ALL-IN, but they don't want to give KS any cut.
I know some of us F:ATties are in that category.

So that's a weird approach. RG seems to want their cake and to eat it too.

"Hey! Look at our cool game! Kickstarter is an awesome platform to drive eyeballs! YEAH! Back it! Back it for a buck now, and you can buy everything later at the same price to you! Okay okay! Turns out we really we can't really do all we want with the campaign with some many one dollar Backers! EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
09 Feb 2022 13:21 #330620 by Disgustipater
Yeah, they did say they are looking at Gamefound for the next campaign, but Thunder Road’s planning was too far into the process to pull out of Kickstarter.

They even compressed the stretch goal interval from $50k to $10k when it slowed way down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
09 Feb 2022 14:04 #330624 by Virabhadra
I agree that the backers are making unreasonable demands; in fairness, the stretch goals are weak compared to most Kickstarters I've seen. Given that the stretch goals are all cards that were pretty clearly going to be included anyway, why did Thunder Road need to be Kickstarted in the first place?
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
09 Feb 2022 15:04 #330627 by Sagrilarus
KS’s value-add at the moment is 95% promotion, 5% service. Nothing needs to be kickstarted. It just needs to be on Kickstarter. These guys just min-maxed their payout to the platform.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, drewcula

More
16 Feb 2022 07:31 #330790 by Ah_Pook

mads b. wrote:

Ah_Pook wrote: There's a Deep Rock Galactic coop boardgame coming to Kickstarter sometime soon. I am sceptical about it bringing anything new/interesting to the extremely crowded field of minis based dungeon crawlers, but the video game is great so I'm at least interested enough to look into it whenever it shows up.

I've playtested a late prototype of this. I haven't played the video game, but it seemed to me like a lot of things from the VG was implemented without bloating the game with lots of little rules and exceptions. The minis look great, the four main characters seem like they will require different playstyles, and overall it felt like a quick and dirty "shoot the bad guys and get the loot"-game. I did, however, found that the enemies crowded the board without being a real threat which meant that you spent too much time moving small critters. The designer said he had some solutions to that, so I'm pretty sure that will change which will also ramp up the difficulty a bit. But for me the biggest draw was the lack of story. I don't find the story of four dudes trying to get rich by killing the locals all that engaging, but on the other hand that is pretty much the idea of the game. I just wanted some more missions that were about rescuing someone, killing a big threat, or something else with a bit more at stake. That could also be something to look at.

All that being said the core system seemed solid. You get to chuck a lot of dice, help your friends when they're in a tight spot, and curse about lack of ammo.

This is live. $75+shipping seems like a lot for the standees version but what do I know. Sticking an expansion behind the collectors edition price wall and not even offering it with standees to match the standee version seems bad. Need to watch some gameplay videos and see what's up I guess.

More
16 Feb 2022 08:55 #330792 by Legomancer
Yesterday was a big day for ol'Dave. I went nuts buying stuff online, including backing two KS:

1) Bloc by Bloc Uprising. I like BbB but would like to like it more. This version looks like a good improvement. Went in for the $16 upgrade from my existing version.

2) Earth. I like tableau engine builders, and though I have a bunch of them I really like the look of this one: www.kickstarter.com/projects/insideupgam...arth-1?ref=bggforums
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
18 Feb 2022 16:51 - 18 Feb 2022 16:58 #330911 by southernman
Two kickstarters I'm looking at - one live and one staring in March:
Kingdoms Forlorn - from the people who did Aeon Trespass: Odyssey
Tamashii: Chronicle of Ascend - the renamed Gaijin from Awaken Realms Lite.

Kingdoms is a similar 'changing of the guard' rpg-dungeoncrawler that they did with Aeon Trespass, but I'm not quite as smitten with this one although it's only been a couple of days so I'll see how it flesh's out. The different twist taht this one has on its predecessor is that as well as a main narrative story book each character also has their own individual story book that interweaves with the main one and each others.
Tamashii is a Japanese cyberpunk genre with players fighting Skynet basically, it has promise.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2022 16:58 by southernman.

More
18 Feb 2022 17:00 #330912 by Virabhadra
I'm not trying to convince anyone that this is going to be a good project, but I backed Marching Order on Nate Hayden's recommendation and the fact that the art looks like Joe Dever's work from the Lone Wolf books.

I think Kickstarter is dumb but it's the only way to get it, so...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.422 seconds