July 25, 2022
743 0

The Split - Review

Board Game Reviews
T
thegiantbrain
July 21, 2022
823 0
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
04 May 2022 15:54 #332813 by Gregarius

WadeMonnig wrote: I personally love the basic base game/Upgrade pack model. If I pick up a game and love it and want to upgrade, then you have lured me in and earned that sale.

I agree with this generally, but I get frustrated by how often the "upgrade" is actually fix that should have been in the original game. For example, Uba's and my experience with Maglev Metro, Kemet 2.0 (not the newer reprint, but an edition they did a while ago), and some other famous one that I can't remember now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2022 17:30 - 04 May 2022 17:31 #332819 by ubarose
Depends on the game, but usually I like paying less for a game, and then upgrading it myself if I really like it. I already have a drawer full of bits and pieces to do it with.

On the other hand, there are some games, like Monster Slaughter, where the minis really make the game.
Last edit: 04 May 2022 17:31 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
04 May 2022 18:24 #332821 by Msample

charlest wrote:

WadeMonnig wrote: This is kind of the Anti-kickstarter model but I'd be interested in knowing how everyone, including the publisher, views the way Dune: Imperium was released. You can buy the base game for roughly 60.00 U.S. (which I did) and, if you choose, there is a upgrade pack filled with minis and such for what comes out to an additional 60.00 (which I am tempted to acquire because, hey, I really dig the game). Would I have bought the game for roughly 100.00 US with all the minis to begin with? The copy of Ankh still sitting at my LGS says no. I wonder how the fully functional but uses cubes at a lower price point versus only having a "deluxe" version available would have impacted sales? Maybe factor in "waste" in case you upgrade and have cubes/wooden pieces you won't use again and will be recycled (?). It might be an interesting article for Charlie to look into. I personally love the basic base game/Upgrade pack model. If I pick up a game and love it and want to upgrade, then you have lured me in and earned that sale.

This is too risky for most publishers. Minis have a large up front cost due to the mold and then are cheaper to produce in quantity. You really need a large number of units to make it worth it.

So the Dune Imperium model would fail miserably if the game didn't succeed.

The other thing that popular games like DUNE IMPERIUM have going for them is a robust marketplace on Etsy for customizing/enhancing components.

Check this out for DI:

www.etsy.com/market/dune_imperium

Other popular titles like NEMESIS, WAR OF THE RING, TERRAFORMING MARS have a similar number of options. While I am under no illusion that this will replace KS or anything, I think Etsy's impact is only increasing in the gaming add on space - I know I spent money on my WotR and NEMESIS stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, WadeMonnig

More
05 May 2022 06:29 - 05 May 2022 08:56 #332825 by sornars
By all means consider me part of the problem but I love auctions, I love Knizia and I love RA so I'm in for this one: gamefound.com/projects/25th-century-games/ra

To its credit it's a pretty non-bullshit crowdfunding campaign; the only reason to pledge now is if you want the Deluxe edition or the game early, otherwise it'll likely be cheaper at retail. The standard edition seems reasonably priced for the quality of the production.
Last edit: 05 May 2022 08:56 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, charlest, n815e

More
05 May 2022 09:59 #332827 by fightcitymayor

charlest wrote: Everything is going well, new deluxe edition of Kingdom Builder is up on Kickstarter for only $240 with a $400 MSRP.

OMG you're not kidding. I thought you were kidding... but you weren't kidding.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, dysjunct, sornars, charlest, n815e

More
06 May 2022 01:42 #332837 by Virabhadra
It's not much to look at for $400. I've been pricing out Silver Tower and Warcry stuff lately and I never thought I'd say this, but Games Workshop seems reasonably priced in comparison.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, birdman37, sornars

More
06 May 2022 09:33 #332840 by hotseatgames
At least with Games Workshop you get your buyer's remorse immediately, instead of having to wait a year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Jackwraith, mezike, birdman37, sornars, n815e, Kmann

More
06 May 2022 09:51 #332841 by charlest
Trying to figure out which box is more outrageous - $300 Ash Wastes or $240 Kingdom Builder is a rough puzzle to solve.

More
06 May 2022 09:58 #332842 by Jexik
I may have to back ARCS. I've been asking around my LGSes for the Root expansions and they say they aren't even at their distributors yet. "Sorry doesn't exist bro."*

*Not an exact quote.

More
06 May 2022 10:09 #332844 by Gary Sax
The old expansions or the new ones? Marauder expansions are still KS backer shipping right now so he's right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jexik

More
06 May 2022 10:14 #332846 by Jexik
The new ones. But they can't even like (pre)order them.

And my friends are asking if I got them. Because I get most things ROOT.

And I didn't get them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 May 2022 10:36 #332847 by Virabhadra

charlest wrote: $300 Ash Wastes

It looks like they packed several Necromunda boxes together but didn't discount the bundle, as they usually do with the Start Collecting! and Starter sets. Odd move. At least from a production standpoint, I'd argue that it's still worth twice everything that comes with the $145 Thunder Road pledge.

Does anyone remember how much Speed Freeks costt?

More
06 May 2022 10:39 - 06 May 2022 10:40 #332848 by charlest
I don't think it's worth twice Thunder Road, but maybe.

My issue with Ash Wastes actually is only slightly with the bundle price - which makes it an incredibly poor buy for existing Necromunda players, but is more with how GW continues to bungle Necromunda by parceling out the rules between many different books. Ash Wastes doesn't include the full vehicle rules. It's like a taste, really.
Last edit: 06 May 2022 10:40 by charlest.

More
06 May 2022 12:13 #332852 by Jackwraith

charlest wrote: My issue with Ash Wastes actually is only slightly with the bundle price - which makes it an incredibly poor buy for existing Necromunda players, but is more with how GW continues to bungle Necromunda by parceling out the rules between many different books. Ash Wastes doesn't include the full vehicle rules. It's like a taste, really.

This is Games Workshop 101. They're obsessed with their margins on those rulebooks. I've argued for, well, decades now that those things should be the loss leaders that bring people into the hobby, but they're so determined to make coin on them that hard copies for 40K armies are now like $60. For the rules! I can't imagine how many people get turned away from spending hundreds or thousands more on models because they're asked to throw down that much on a collection of nice pictures and about 800 words of needed text before they even roll a die. The fact that they want you to buy 2 or 3 of them for a game as small as Necromunda surprises me not at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, n815e, Kmann

More
06 May 2022 13:06 #332854 by n815e
What amazes me even more is how poorly they pay the people that create their games.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, charlest

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds