October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
06 Jun 2022 08:40 #333478 by fightcitymayor

hotseatgames wrote: I saw that and was confused, as I thought the Heroes of Normandie company had been in serious financial trouble, to the point where they were going to be lucky to fulfill a prior KS before they folded. Maybe they got bought?

Devil Pig stopped production on pretty much everything non-HeroesOf related, laid off staff, and sold off the minor titles in their catalog that they could get $$$ for.

They aren't really "business" guys, which is what put their company at death's door, and with this latest KS barely scraping $175k it seems like the consumers haven't forgotten the often irritating results of what they do. Example: There is already errata for the newest V2 base game of the Heroes system (Big Red One), and anyone buying into this KS should expect to pay the "first edition tax" and enjoy the incoming errata and rulebook foul-ups that will inevitably be part of this too (even though Devil Pig have been making variations on this game for almost a decade now.) Devil Pig also love slipping limited-edition expansions out the side door into their European webstore that people want but North Americans have to pay $80+ just to get it shipped over here (they used to have a USA webstore with distribution through iello USA, but they imploded, so there hasn't been a direct-buy USA store option for years now, just OLGS for the standard releases.)

And at its core, the Heroes system is actually not the quick-play, fun, cartoony breeze that it appears to be. Plenty of setup time, plenty of iconography to memorize, plenty of wonky rules that aren't always explained well. And a core component of the game are the secret order blocks, which means neutering the game to play it well solo. Plus (opinion) the game itself is actually uglier now than it's ever been. They do the maps as squared-off grids, but they try to make it both visually interesting (which gets overloaded in tough-to-see detail) but also with hard borders delineating different terrain types, so you get an ugly visual representation of a bombed out building with bright red boxes surrounding grid squares, which is just ugly & ruins both ideas of clarity & immersion.

Given the lukewarm reception of this KS, it just feels like the world may have moved on from Devil Pig's offerings, and after a decade of variations on the same theme, maybe it's time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Msample, Jackwraith, hotseatgames, Frohike, sornars, Kmann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2022 14:44 - 09 Jun 2022 14:45 #333575 by Ah_Pook
There's a new Aeons End on Kickstarter. It's the first box that isn't standalone, which is a thing people have been asking for for a long time. It doesn't include all the crystals, sparks, tokens, life dials, etc. But I feel like there are some heavy missteps. First, it costs as much as the standalone boxes did. I get that costs have gone up, but it's not a good look. Second, there are no new basic nemesis cards included. You use those in every game to randomize the Nemesis deck, and new ones are one of the fun things in each new box. Third, there aren't enough market cards to make a fresh market at the beginning of the two included storylines in the box. Don't make me play with old stuff right at the beginning of your new thing lol. For a game that is exclusively targeted at returning players these feel like pretty serious mistakes.

The new mechanics look kinda questionable too. I mean they sound fun enough in isolation but it basically sounds like everything in the box is going to join Pulse token cards and Fire cards in the "only play these cards if you play with everything that cares about these mechanics" pile of seldomly used content that doesn't integrate well with everything else.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2022 14:45 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, sornars, cdennett, BillyBobThwarton, n815e, Kmann

More
13 Jun 2022 22:50 #333672 by n815e
gamefound.com/projects/phalanx/bretwalda?ref=search

This one is beautiful to look at and looks like something I’d enjoy playing.

More
14 Jun 2022 07:59 #333676 by Sagrilarus
So how is Gamefound doing so far? What percentage of the market have they captured?

More
19 Jun 2022 10:45 #333786 by Legomancer
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, Ah_Pook

More
19 Jun 2022 12:14 #333787 by n815e
That looks cool and it’s nice to see someone bring back that Buck Rogers planetary rotation mechanic.

More
19 Jun 2022 14:56 #333789 by Sagrilarus

Throughout the game players will need money to buy seats in the planetary parliaments. In 3 elections these seats translate into influence in the Plutocratic Council.

Was on board until I hit that.

More
20 Jun 2022 08:51 #333794 by Legomancer
I backed it. I think it looks and sounds neat. Naturally, since it doesn't have mountains of plastic and a solid platinum first player marker it's going to have trouble meeting even its pretty modest goal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
20 Jun 2022 10:34 #333800 by Shellhead
I am not currently backing any Kickstarters or even looking at that site, but that is partly because I am having a slightly expensive year of home projects, including electrical, plumbing, and painting. But I have to admit that I have gotten some really good games off Kickstarter or in the secondary market right after a Kickstarter completed. Camp Grizzly, Sleeping Gods, Saltlands, and Masters of the Night are all games that I have played and enjoyed recently with friends. However, these games have not followed the popular Kickstarter strategy of wedding mediocre gameplay to a large volume of plastic minis, packaged with several unwanted expansions.

That is all. You may resume your FOMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, n815e

More
20 Jun 2022 10:36 #333801 by Msample
Yeah between repaving my driveway last year and just getting a new roof this year my game purchases have def slowed...not to mention the imminent arrival of the fall heating oil prepay bill, which will likely send people into shock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
20 Jun 2022 11:08 #333805 by stormseeker75
Man, that's a good point. I've been so focused on gas that I didn't even think about people that heat with oil. This is going to be a problem for my mom. Hopefully this facilitates her need to move to smaller house.

I am thinking about backing Skyrise. I loved Metropolys. Really wish this one played 5 but I think it would be too crazy the way the bidding works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
20 Jun 2022 11:46 #333809 by Msample

stormseeker75 wrote: Man, that's a good point. I've been so focused on gas that I didn't even think about people that heat with oil. This is going to be a problem for my mom. Hopefully this facilitates her need to move to smaller house.

I just looked online and heating oil prices are about DOUBLE a year ago, around $5.50 per gallon. I use around 800 gallons per year, so I'm looking at $4K in heating oil costs. FML. And that is for a house with a good roof, new windows 4 years ago and a thermostat set in the low 60s even in winter.

More
20 Jun 2022 13:05 #333814 by stormseeker75
My mom lives with 2 dogs in a 2400 square foot house. She keeps the thermostat at 74. She's going to have some serious adjustments to make.

More
20 Jun 2022 13:11 #333815 by sornars
Skyrise looks good but the deluxe edition appears grotesquely overproduced and there seems to be no incentive to KS the retail edition at the moment so I'll likely wait for retail.

More
20 Jun 2022 15:54 #333821 by stormseeker75
That's a good point. I really hate when there's a KS that offers nothing over retail. It just seems wrong. You gotta give me something here, people. I'm a mark, but I'm not quite that easy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.502 seconds