October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
13 Aug 2022 23:50 #335011 by Gary Sax
Yikes. I can see why Wehrle and several others took the offered money for backerkit's kickstarter competitor instead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2022 13:28 #335015 by Msample
I am leery of reading one bad experience from one side about Gamefound and drawing any conclusions from it. AWAKEN REALMS is behind it AFAIK and I've backed several projects without issue. I suspect from a publisher point of view the appeal of Gamefound or Backerkit is a combination of lower fees as well as a platform that tailored for boardgames as opposed to the one size fits all model of Kickstarter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike

More
18 Aug 2022 15:01 #335075 by the_jake_1973
New Red Dragon Inn Battle for Greyport expansion I've put in for. I'm taking the opportunity for the all in to get all the Battle for Greyport stuff.

More
06 Sep 2022 23:51 #335440 by BillyBobThwarton
I received a replacement board from Mayday today. This one's playing surface is smooth and without issue. While getting a board with issues was a huge bummer and the initial correspondence was concerning, at the end of the day they made it right at no additional cost to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, sornars, Ah_Pook, n815e

More
07 Sep 2022 07:00 - 07 Sep 2022 07:04 #335442 by sornars
www.kickstarter.com/projects/ludically/r...d-fall-0/description

4X game by the same designer of Earth Reborn/Archipelago. I'll wait for other people to play it and let me know if it's good but I'm curious. It's also very expensive.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/skellig-gam...-fight-for-democracy

By the same designer of Watergate. Looks interesting (opinions may vary on this front) but also very very expensive; does the whole board really need to be dual layered? I can trust most of my friends to not bump the table and the ones I can't won't be sitting down to a 4 hour game with me. I appreciate the no bullshit approach to shipping costs though. Definitely not going in for it at that price.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2022 07:04 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, lj1983, mezike, hotseatgames, n815e

More
07 Sep 2022 10:31 - 07 Sep 2022 10:32 #335443 by Ah_Pook

Thanks to the variety of every available actions, you'll be lead to an intricate action planification each turn.

I do love a good intricate action planification.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2022 10:32 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
07 Sep 2022 10:32 #335444 by hotseatgames
Planification also jumped out at me. Ugh. Boelinger does always intrigue me. Earth Reborn was such a feat.

More
07 Sep 2022 11:59 #335461 by Gary Sax
That is a very tempting kickstarter. I love crazy games like that.

If it's good, it'll get another kickstarter with an expansion. I'll wait and try it when it's done.

More
07 Sep 2022 21:18 #335475 by Jackwraith

sornars wrote: By the same designer of Watergate. Looks interesting (opinions may vary on this front) but also very very expensive; does the whole board really need to be dual layered? I can trust most of my friends to not bump the table and the ones I can't won't be sitting down to a 4 hour game with me. I appreciate the no bullshit approach to shipping costs though. Definitely not going in for it at that price.

Watergate is cool as hell and I LOVE the Weimar theme, especially given current political realities, but it's not $123 cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, sornars

More
11 Sep 2022 11:42 - 12 Sep 2022 06:20 #335507 by sornars

Jackwraith wrote: ... but it's not $123 cool.

Your casual conversion of EUR to USD is accurate and painful.

In other crowd funding news, I found this feature by Gamefound mildly interesting:
gamefound.com/blog/post/securing-your-pledge-in-unstable-times

It has to be opted in to by the creator but it provides a form of insurance in which you're guaranteed a refund if shipping costs exceed the forecasts by more than 10%.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2022 06:20 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

More
11 Sep 2022 14:28 #335509 by Msample
The CMON Dune War for Arrakis KS launches this week. As much as I despise CMON’s business model, the combo of theme coupled with the design chops of the WotR team will likely push me over the edge. Will be interesting to see how they do stretch goals etc .

Rules posted: resources.cmon.com/Dune-WIP-Rulebook.pdf
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, cdennett, BillyBobThwarton

More
11 Sep 2022 20:13 #335511 by Jackwraith
Ugh. 2-player. I have so many 2-player wargames that just don't see enough daylight, I can't go in for another one. (This being said with the caveat that I'm actively not seeking any more games of any kind and haven't been for a while.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, lj1983, Frohike

More
12 Sep 2022 06:18 - 12 Sep 2022 12:12 #335513 by sornars
I watched a TTS playthrough vid of Dune and I must concede my enthusiasm has cooled a bit. It doesn't seem nearly as thematically well integrated as WoTR. It's a 2p game which obviously lacks the diplomacy angle you might expect from a Dune game and there was plenty of hidden information but in general it felt like there were nods to the Dune universe rather than a game that evoked the setting through gameplay. The 3-4 player rules are cute with the cones of silence to introduce keeping secrets (which is very Dune!) but I don't think it's how the game is likely to be best played, much like the multiplayer rules for WoTR.

A user on BGG says the better comparison between this game is The Battle of Five Armies rather than War of The Ring and I think that's probably an accurate takeaway from the single play through I've seen.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2022 12:12 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, cdennett, n815e, Kmann

More
12 Sep 2022 16:25 #335516 by cdennett

sornars wrote: A user on BGG says the better comparison between this game is The Battle of Five Armies rather than War of The Ring and I think that's probably an accurate takeaway from the single play through I've seen.

Just read through the first half of the rulebook and I'm seeing a lot of similarities to BotFA, though I wouldn't go so far to call this a Dune re-skin of that title. The ornithopters remind me of the Bats or Eagles, they both have a progress track for the good guys that unlocks leaders. But yeah, agree this doesn't have the same vibe as War of the Ring. I really shouldn't pick this up, as I can't even get BotFA to the table, but I probably will...
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, n815e

More
12 Sep 2022 17:33 #335517 by Shellhead

Jackwraith wrote: (This being said with the caveat that I'm actively not seeking any more games of any kind and haven't been for a while.)

Same here. I think that my FOMO eventually became FOST (Fear Of Shelf Toads), probably some time after I joined a local Facebook group that simply buys, sells, and trades board games. Quite a few of the games for sale are Kickstarters with shovelware expansions. Some of the sales posts feature two or three dozen different games, all captured in a single crowded photo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jackwraith, lj1983, Frohike, BillyBobThwarton, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.323 seconds