October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
12 Sep 2022 23:12 #335525 by Jackwraith
Yeah, I keep seeing new things announced and I'm like: "That looks cool, but... [looks at shelves.] I just don't need them. If I'm getting new games, I'm trading for them. Full stop. Was just reminded tonight of how much cool stuff I already have sitting on the shelves by getting The Others back on the table. Just can't do it anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Frohike, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2022 23:24 #335527 by dysjunct
The vast spikes in shipping prices have done more to curb my impulse purchasing than anything else recently. “If I buy this, it’s going to be nigh impossible to flip, and I’ll either have to give it away or landfill it.” Ugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jpat, Msample, Frohike, sornars, n815e, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
13 Sep 2022 10:29 #335533 by Msample

Shellhead wrote:

Jackwraith wrote: (This being said with the caveat that I'm actively not seeking any more games of any kind and haven't been for a while.)

Same here. I think that my FOMO eventually became FOST (Fear Of Shelf Toads), probably some time after I joined a local Facebook group that simply buys, sells, and trades board games. Quite a few of the games for sale are Kickstarters with shovelware expansions. Some of the sales posts feature two or three dozen different games, all captured in a single crowded photo.

And often still in the original shrink wrap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, n815e

More
13 Sep 2022 13:02 #335538 by cdennett

Msample wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Jackwraith wrote: (This being said with the caveat that I'm actively not seeking any more games of any kind and haven't been for a while.)

Same here. I think that my FOMO eventually became FOST (Fear Of Shelf Toads), probably some time after I joined a local Facebook group that simply buys, sells, and trades board games. Quite a few of the games for sale are Kickstarters with shovelware expansions. Some of the sales posts feature two or three dozen different games, all captured in a single crowded photo.

And often still in the original shrink wrap.

You can solve that last problem by always opening the games as you receive them, reading through the rulebook(s), carefully punching, sorting, and bagging components, and then lovingly organizing the components back into as few boxes as possible (because, you got at least 2 other "day 0" expansion/stretch goal boxes with it) to reduce the footprint on your shelves (assuming you can find a space), where you can now gaze longingly at it knowing it's ready to play with your group that's totally not into that type of game. Not that I would know anything about that...

More
14 Sep 2022 15:13 #335546 by Ah_Pook
Cmon dune is up, $110 for the game + an estimated $50-60 shipping, no add ons posted yet. About what I expected price wise, ie well outside my personal budget for this kind of thing :laugh: not that I need a big 2p war game that no one will ever play, or to support cmon's garbage. I'm curious to see how much nonsense they add in to the Kickstarter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
14 Sep 2022 15:27 #335547 by southernman

Ah_Pook wrote: Cmon dune is up, $110 for the game + an estimated $50-60 shipping, no add ons posted yet. About what I expected price wise, ie well outside my personal budget for this kind of thing :laugh: not that I need a big 2p war game that no one will ever play, or to support cmon's garbage. I'm curious to see how much nonsense they add in to the Kickstarter.

Shit yeah, priced just for the Dune fanatics ! You're paying for the name and 129 minis and possibly a game in it.
It's going to be $211 shipped and taxed to the UK :lol:, I doubt I'd pay half that just for a core game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 Sep 2022 15:53 - 14 Sep 2022 15:54 #335548 by Ah_Pook
There's definitely a game, it's a reworking of War of the Ring/Battle of the Five Armies by the same designers but with a Dune theme. You can play it on TTS now, even. It's a way more solid bet gameplay wise than a lot of cmon stuff imo. It looks fun but not fun enough to gather dust on my shelf to the tune of almost $200. Like I got rid of my copies of WOTR and BOTFA both because no one would play them :laugh:
Last edit: 14 Sep 2022 15:54 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
14 Sep 2022 15:57 #335549 by charlest
I'm tempted by it. But it's difficult to justify when you could buy War of the Ring and Star Wars Rebellion for the same price.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, sornars, Gregarius, Ah_Pook, n815e

More
14 Sep 2022 16:44 #335550 by stormseeker75
The Litany Against Fear tattoo I have on my arm says I need this. My wisest self says otherwise. Hot damn, CMON, that's preposterously expensive. Like not even in the realm of feasible. However, this will undoubtedly generate a TON of money.

More
14 Sep 2022 18:03 #335552 by Msample

stormseeker75 wrote: The Litany Against Fear tattoo I have on my arm says I need this. My wisest self says otherwise. Hot damn, CMON, that's preposterously expensive. Like not even in the realm of feasible. However, this will undoubtedly generate a TON of money.

More like Litany against FOMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, Ah_Pook

More
15 Sep 2022 08:02 #335560 by stormseeker75
The spice must flow, but the dollars don't have to!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
15 Sep 2022 08:07 #335561 by Legomancer
I know this is a me thing but I looked at the pictures and I just can't take that thing seriously. It was never going to be my jam anyway, that's not the sort of game I like, but just seeing all the little plastic statues just makes it look absurd to me. There are a million minis games like it but for some reason this one really flipped a "this is super dumb looking" switch in my head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
15 Sep 2022 09:31 #335562 by Erik Twice
Any adaptation of Dune has it tough because it inevitably puts itself in a comparison with one of the best games ever made.

More
15 Sep 2022 09:38 #335563 by n815e
The 1984 Parker Brothers game, of course!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, drewcula, sornars, Erik Twice, Smeagol, Virabhadra

More
17 Sep 2022 13:09 #335620 by Ah_Pook

Erik Twice wrote: Any adaptation of Dune has it tough because it inevitably puts itself in a comparison with one of the best games ever made.

I mean a 2 player dudes on a map war game and a 6 player negotiation game that takes a thousand hours to play don't really fill the same gaming niche, even if they share the same theme.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.462 seconds