October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
16 Nov 2022 16:27 - 16 Nov 2022 16:44 #336873 by dysjunct
TEN PLAGUES. Looks like a kind of abstract card game, themed around the Exodus story, let my people go etc. My kid has gotten into Judaism lately and it will make a fun present for her. Supposedly it will be in distribution before Passover next year, which will be nice. I got an extra copy for the local Chabad House.

DREAD OF NIGHT. PDF only of this PBTA joint. Combat heavy, dark fantasy, based on Devil May Cry, Berserk, and related genre games. Unlikely to see play (sigh) but the pitch sounded baller.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2022 16:44 by dysjunct.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2022 20:04 #336875 by hotseatgames

southernman wrote: Pledge levels announced ... going for the videogamer audience, who may not buy that many boardgames but will splash out for 'their' favourite, seems to be a good business these days - fair enough, I don't comment on people who spend hundreds/thousands on seeing concerts or sports games every year (or just alcohol), may be a bit too expensive for me especially once VAT and Shipping hits for the UK.

steamforged.com/en-gb/blogs/brands/elden...tarter-pledge-levels

Wow... jumping from 89 to 179 for double the game makes sense... but then to go from 179 to 429... that is a huge jump. Quite a commitment.

More
17 Nov 2022 12:30 #336880 by southernman

hotseatgames wrote: ...
Wow... jumping from 89 to 179 for double the game makes sense... but then to go from 179 to 429... that is a huge jump. Quite a commitment.

Especially with UK and EU backers needing to add approx 20% onto that price + postage, but I'm sure there are more than enough fans out there to throw money at it and it becoming another massive project - just I won't be one of them.

More
18 Nov 2022 02:29 #336890 by mads b.
I backed the Heroes of Might and Magic kickstarter.
www.kickstarter.com/projects/archonstudi...t8w8p&token=a088593e

Normally I'm not much for backing games where I have to wait for a year or more, but nostalgia plays a huge part in this. I'm pretty sure the game has some issues with downtime, and I don't quite know what the battlefield expansion adds to the game (apart from more downtime). But my wife and I played to PC game for days back in the days, and it seems like they've kept a lot of the good stuff from the video game, without simply making a cumbersome 1:1 port.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, BillyBobThwarton

More
18 Nov 2022 07:18 - 18 Nov 2022 07:19 #336891 by Ah_Pook
I was vaguely on the fence about the shay the spire game, but I saw people talking about having exhausted their upgrade pile by the end of an all floors run, and there being pretty clear best builds for the characters. Plus the relics look way less game changing. So... Seems like a game that will get samey pretty quickly if you're always going to get the same best stuff? That's the last thing I want from StS. People were talking about wanting to buy a full second set of player cards to make the card pools bigger, stuff like that.
Last edit: 18 Nov 2022 07:19 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra

More
18 Nov 2022 08:49 - 20 Nov 2022 21:00 #336892 by hotseatgames

mads b. wrote: I backed the Heroes of Might and Magic kickstarter.
www.kickstarter.com/projects/archonstudi...t8w8p&token=a088593e

Normally I'm not much for backing games where I have to wait for a year or more, but nostalgia plays a huge part in this. I'm pretty sure the game has some issues with downtime, and I don't quite know what the battlefield expansion adds to the game (apart from more downtime). But my wife and I played to PC game for days back in the days, and it seems like they've kept a lot of the good stuff from the video game, without simply making a cumbersome 1:1 port.

Yeah that Battlefield expansion seems suspect. And I could not figure out how the monsters were represented if you don't buy the miniatures pledge level. I assume hex tokens but they never show them.

Downtime does look like it could be bad with more than 2 players.

UPDATE: seems like when you don't have the miniatures, you just place the unit cards on the map. And while it is probably a smart abstraction, this system forces you to only have one stack per unit type. Makes sense.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2022 21:00 by hotseatgames.

More
20 Nov 2022 20:58 - 21 Nov 2022 09:29 #336914 by hotseatgames

mads b. wrote: I don't quite know what the battlefield expansion adds to the game

After looking at the campaign page a bit more, I *think* I have figured out the Battlefield expansion. And if I have, it actually sounds really cool.

It seems like it is an alternative to the normal game. Two players (maybe not just two players but it sure seems like it) draw from the adventure deck, I don't know how many cards each. Each card represents resources or things that would happen while playing the standard game. You use these cards to build up your hero / town / army, and then have a battle that is more advanced than the normal game's battles.

Seems like a cool alternative if you aren't in the mood for the whole exploration part.

This game is tempting me more, but I know I need it like I need a hole in my head. I hate Kickstarter.

Update: I was mostly right. archon-studio.com/blog/the-battlefield-is-calling-your-name
Last edit: 21 Nov 2022 09:29 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., sornars, BillyBobThwarton

More
21 Nov 2022 11:22 #336921 by Joebot

hotseatgames wrote:
This game is tempting me more, but I know I need it like I need a hole in my head. I hate Kickstarter.

"I know I need it like I need a hole in my head" is Kickstarter's core business plan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Msample, n815e

More
22 Nov 2022 07:37 #336932 by mads b.
So ithe battlefield expansion is basically an entire game in itself - exciting. Seems like it might have been an early prototype they liked, but found too far from the experience they wanted.

Do I need an entirely new way of playing the game? No, I really don't. But the full package is a pretty good deal with the expansions I do want, so I guess it's okay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, BillyBobThwarton

More
22 Nov 2022 14:42 - 22 Nov 2022 15:23 #336943 by hotseatgames
The Elden Ring KS is live, and is already over $1,100,000. Most pledges are for the all-in, which, if shipped to the USA, will run you a cool $490.

Looking at how this game works... there are some neat aspects, but I can't help but feel that it's designed for maximum component bloat to jack up the price.

The base pledge is a stand-alone box that has a decent price, but they excluded it from any unlocks. This follows a trend I've noticed, where there is an "affordable" entry level pledge that the publisher then goes out of their way to make sure no one wants.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged...e-recommendations-p1
Last edit: 22 Nov 2022 15:23 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, n815e

More
22 Nov 2022 16:09 - 22 Nov 2022 16:17 #336946 by Virabhadra
Numbers like those, I'll sleep on it until there's a $39.99 Jaws of the Elden Ring with cardboard standees at Target.

Big LOL at Alex Radcliffe's (BoardGameCo) plug: "ELDEN RING is I believe my favourite Steamforged Games title so far. Not just my favourite Steamforged Games title. I really, really liked my experience with ELDEN RING."

Proofreading disaster aside, that is some TEPID hype.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2022 16:17 by Virabhadra.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
22 Nov 2022 16:29 #336947 by Gary Sax
What an absolute soul sell the kickstarter preview industry can be. Everybody has to make a living, good on them, but it is some grim stuff sometimes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, hotseatgames, n815e, repairmanjack

More
22 Nov 2022 16:43 #336948 by hotseatgames
Outside of seeing how sample turns play out, I don't know how ANYONE could find value in KS Previews that are posted on the KS page itself. They are always paid for and glowing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, n815e

More
22 Nov 2022 17:16 #336949 by gversace
Not always paid for. I know the channel I sometimes participate in, One Stop Co-op Shop, never takes any money for coverage. That said, no one's going to put a negative preview on their kickstarter page. For example, OSCS did a preview of Kinfire Chronicles, but was very "meh" on it. Didn't appear on the page. Shocking, I know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, n815e

More
22 Nov 2022 18:08 #336951 by southernman

hotseatgames wrote: The Elden Ring KS is live, and is already over $1,100,000. Most pledges are for the all-in, which, if shipped to the USA, will run you a cool $490.

Looking at how this game works... there are some neat aspects, but I can't help but feel that it's designed for maximum component bloat to jack up the price.

The base pledge is a stand-alone box that has a decent price, but they excluded it from any unlocks. This follows a trend I've noticed, where there is an "affordable" entry level pledge that the publisher then goes out of their way to make sure no one wants.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged...e-recommendations-p1

And, I suppose, the most obvious question here - considering this is Steamforged Games - is will there actually be a good/decent/clever game amongst those minis and tiles and campaign-book-per-character.
It's bloody expensive as is, it will be gold-plated landfill if the actual gameplay is crap.

I was partially considering a Core pledge but then I have to take into account Aeon Trespass: Odyssey is arriving soon, and ISS: Vanguard (and a couple of others) next year, and quite a few arrivals this year still sitting unplayed ... so maybe I just need to say I have enough to play for a few years.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.314 seconds