October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
22 Nov 2022 18:52 - 22 Nov 2022 18:52 #336952 by hotseatgames
I suspect the combat gameplay is fun, as they have now made several games that center on fighting big bosses. I personally look forward to grabbing Monster Hunter at retail, if possible.

I'm a bit put off that it's largely multiplayer solitaire. One could level that same complaint against Heroes of Might and Magic III, to a degree, but I think the interaction is greater there.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2022 18:52 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2022 13:58 #336974 by Disgustipater
Thunder Road: Vendetta was delayed again. Originally planned for November of this year, it slipped to January, and now to May. Again, disappointing but not unexpected. :shrug

More
23 Nov 2022 14:51 #336975 by Shellhead
More like Vapor Road: Vendetta amirite?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, jason10mm, Disgustipater

More
23 Nov 2022 19:23 #336981 by Msample
Give me your Paypal account, the card sleeves , the playmat, and the whole Kallax shelf, and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away and we'll give you a safe passageway in the wastelands of BGG ,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, hotseatgames, sornars

More
25 Nov 2022 10:56 #337009 by Shellhead

Msample wrote: Give me your Paypal account, the card sleeves , the playmat, and the whole Kallax shelf, and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away and we'll give you a safe passageway in the wastelands of BGG ,

He promised us stretch goals! He gave us his word!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
25 Nov 2022 11:40 #337011 by Msample
Two days ago I saw a GEEK CHIC table big enough to hold all those stretch goals. You wanna actually set up that all in pledge ? Then you talk to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
25 Nov 2022 11:48 - 25 Nov 2022 12:05 #337013 by sornars

Disgustipater wrote: Thunder Road: Vendetta was delayed again. Originally planned for November of this year, it slipped to January, and now to May. Again, disappointing but not unexpected. :shrug

I messaged Restoration Games a month ago to see if I could cancel my pledge and was happy to pay administration fees expecting a deduction of around 10% which would more than cover any transaction fees. They said they'd only refund 75% of the pledged amount. I've cancelled pledges from other publishers much closer to fulfilment with much less gouging in the past and found this user hostile approach kind of shocking. Turned me off of them as a company a bit to be honest but I guess they're well within their rights to do so (or offer no refunds at all I suppose!).
Last edit: 25 Nov 2022 12:05 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, n815e

More
25 Nov 2022 13:17 #337015 by Shellhead

Msample wrote: Two days ago I saw a GEEK CHIC table big enough to hold all those stretch goals. You wanna actually set up that all in pledge ? Then you talk to me.

I'm just here for the miniatures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Msample

More
25 Nov 2022 13:54 #337017 by fightcitymayor

Gary Sax wrote: What an absolute soul sell the kickstarter preview industry can be. Everybody has to make a living, good on them, but it is some grim stuff sometimes.

My favorite are the (invariably white middle-class) boyfriend & girlfriend (sometimes husband & wife) tandem who set up a YT channel (called something cutesy yet terrible, like "Adventureland Wanderings with Cutesy and Stubbins") specifically so they can get free boardgaming stuff. They always perch pleasantly in front of a Kallax shelf weighed down with the last year's worth of "hotness" games, wearing matching t-shirts and flashing their biggest brightest smiles as they tell you how amazing some KS game is (that they've probably never finished an actual playthrough of.) They might make a handful of cheery videos before the channel disappears. My favorite was the one where people asked what happened to their channel until the dude fessed up to getting divorced, and she never liked boardgames anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct

More
25 Nov 2022 15:29 #337021 by dysjunct
Sometimes I accidentally go to the redesigned BGG home page, where it is now all video- and shopping- centric. It is really amazing how punchable all the video hosts look in the thumbnails of their videos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Gregarius, Virabhadra

More
25 Nov 2022 15:37 #337022 by Virabhadra
Ugh, I clicked a Brothers Murph video on the BGG main page just to see if it was as obnoxious as it looked - it was - and now I can't scrub it from my Youtube recommendation algorithm to save my life.

More
28 Nov 2022 11:06 #337057 by hotseatgames
I believe I have bounced off the Heroes of Might and Magic III Kickstarter, in spite of it still looking like a cool game. I was waiting to see what the "Super Secret 3 million Euro Stretch Goal" was, as they had been hyping it for several days.

It turned out to be the opportunity to buy a new paid add-on. I don't pretend to understand all of the economics around these decisions, but I do know that hyping a stretch goal that turns out to just be a paid add-on is not the climax they were hoping for. At least not for me.

They ultimately did me a favor, as I know this game would spend most of its time on the shelf. In 2024 when it actually shows up, that is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, BillyBobThwarton

More
28 Nov 2022 11:31 - 28 Nov 2022 11:32 #337060 by sornars
It's worth noting that Archon Studios apparently has existed under various guises that may not have had the best history with Kickstarter: boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/247437/publis...emid=6491686#6491686

I have no way nor interest in verifying but stumbled upon that and thought to give you all a heads up if relevant.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2022 11:32 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, n815e

More
28 Nov 2022 12:46 - 28 Nov 2022 12:48 #337066 by n815e
With Archon there are defenders who say that they’ve changed, they’ve delivered so many projects now and things are different.

Sure, maybe they have learned and grown since they were the assholes that stole backers money as Prodos.

Or maybe a company that has ( https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1582865/archonprodos-threatens-legal-action-against-bggBGG ) threatened to sue BGG over allowing people to discuss their past isn’t really a company that has learned and grown.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2022 12:48 by n815e.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, sornars

More
28 Nov 2022 14:53 #337076 by fightcitymayor

n815e wrote: With Archon there are defenders who say that they’ve changed, they’ve delivered so many projects now and things are different.

They do seem to be the rare case of a den of Polish pseudo-scammers who eventually morphed into a semi-legitimate gaming company.

But my favorite Archon story is still when they released their first KS for L.O.A.D. (a MOBA-style game) and someone noticed while they were reading the rules that Archon literally copy/pasted entire sections of the existing rulebook from Rum & Bones (CMON's MOBA-style game.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds