October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
08 Feb 2023 10:22 #338233 by n815e
Why would they continue to use a low quality shipping partner?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2023 14:30 #338247 by Shellhead
Why are you all wasting time on these Kickstarters, when you could have Britney Spears Monopoly?

This is not a meme, this is not a drill, this is Britney Spears Monopoly:

theop.games/products/monopoly-britney-sp...ID=23853113367370582
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
08 Feb 2023 14:51 #338248 by hotseatgames
It's Park Place, Bitch
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Msample

More
08 Feb 2023 16:03 #338254 by Shellhead
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.” -- Hunter S. Thompson
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, hotseatgames, Sacco

More
16 Feb 2023 11:17 - 16 Feb 2023 11:18 #338344 by sornars
Cyclades has my attention: open-sesame.games/cyclades-legendary-edition/

The box looks like one of those stupidly large ones though...
Last edit: 16 Feb 2023 11:18 by sornars.

More
16 Feb 2023 11:36 #338345 by dysjunct
I'm almost certainly going to go all-in on the DEAD CELLS game, not launched yet. Published by La Boite de Jeu (It's A Wonderful World, Furnace) and designed by the guys who did 7 Wonders, Ghost Stories, Cyclades, Mr. Jack, and many others.

Love the video game; the board game would have to be really bad for me not to take a chance on it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
16 Feb 2023 11:45 - 16 Feb 2023 11:48 #338346 by Jackwraith
My lone input here as a long-time player of the Legendary/holy trinity (Cyclades, Inis, Kemet): I think Cyclades is the best of the lot for a certain type of player. That player has to be interested in DoaM/area control stuff, but less aggressively than Kemet and more aggressively than Inis. Wade's criticism of it was that you're loaded up for a battle game and you find out it's more about bidding. That's true to a point, but I think it's more textured than either Kemet or Inis because it's still a DoaM and you have to approach it like one (e.g. don't leave your back islands/territories lightly defended because someone will swoop in and take them with one use of properly-placed ships and Poseidon or Pegasus), even when you're doing the Euro-bidding stuff up front.

In the same way that I didn't get into Kemet: Blood and Sand because I have everything for original Kemet and didn't feel like shelling out for the same game with a couple rules tweaks, I'm not getting into this. I have everything for the original Cyclades and, if there are cool rules tweaks that "smooth out gameplay" as their site proclaims, I can probably adopt them into my old set and be done. Of course, that's me speaking from a position of privilege because I do have literally everything for the old game, which can be tough/expensive to find. Don't know if it will be as expensive as this KS with, as you say, the very large box (Got all the expansions in the original box! Just take out the decorative divider and you're good to go.) but I guess everyone will find out.

Again, it's without question my favorite of the trio, which is setting a very high bar, given how good both Kemet and Inis are, so I'd be interested. too, if I didn't have access to what I have now. Just be aware that if you're wanting to spring it on your wargaming pals, it's kind of a different animal unless you use Titans. And, as Charlie advises, you do probably want to play with Monuments all the time, regardless. I'm less of a fan of Titans than others, but do always use Monuments and often use Hades because it's cool. (Sorry. Rambling.)
Last edit: 16 Feb 2023 11:48 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, Nodens, n815e

More
16 Feb 2023 11:53 - 16 Feb 2023 11:55 #338347 by charlest
I love Cyclades as well (maybe even more with Titans). And as you said Jackwraith, I'd always include Monuments. That's such an underrated small expansion.

I dunno about this new edition. I may back it. I disliked the art style as it's the cartoonish Disney look that everything has now. I also am not sure the original game would benefit from any changes. It's so streamlined and clean.

For instance, a modular map is not something that sounds terribly interesting to me. Cyclades doesn't need longer setup.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2023 11:55 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
16 Feb 2023 15:31 #338348 by Ah_Pook
I'm more interested in Galactic Renaissance, the space themed follow-up to Inis (from the same designer and published by Matagor) that is coming to Kickstarter shortly. Not enough to back it on Kickstarter but yknow. I'll check it out whenever it actually exists.

I'm finding myself on the fence about the new Dungeon Degenerates stuff, just because it's expensive AF. The pricing lines up with everything they've ever released, but also I haven't bought any of that stuff at full retail before now so. $100 for the new mission books, characters, and card packs is a lot of money all together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
16 Feb 2023 16:15 #338349 by Legomancer
My problem with Cyclades was that it had a Munchkin-like ending. Player A is about to win, so everyone stops them. Player B then is about to win so everyone stops them. Player C then wins because everyone ran out of stuff in stopping Players A and B.

More
16 Feb 2023 16:24 #338350 by Shellhead

Ah_Pook wrote: I'm finding myself on the fence about the new Dungeon Degenerates stuff, just because it's expensive AF. The pricing lines up with everything they've ever released, but also I haven't bought any of that stuff at full retail before now so. $100 for the new mission books, characters, and card packs is a lot of money all together.

For $100, they should include some complimentary black light bulbs.

More
16 Feb 2023 16:45 #338351 by Ah_Pook

Legomancer wrote: My problem with Cyclades was that it had a Munchkin-like ending. Player A is about to win, so everyone stops them. Player B then is about to win so everyone stops them. Player C then wins because everyone ran out of stuff in stopping Players A and B.

A friend of mine called Inis Munchkin with a board once. All of the Matagot games are like that to dome extent since they all have victory conditions you can see in the board, though I personally found Inis the most egregious.

More
16 Feb 2023 17:07 #338352 by charlest
Inis fixed that issue to some degree with a module in the expansion.

More
16 Feb 2023 17:22 #338353 by ChristopherMD
Goodbye Rallyman DIRT in North America.

With all of our revenue streams basically cut off at this point and no way to negotiate or pay the sums of money that are being demanded of us, the response from our lawyers and bank was categoric. We now have no options left but to shut Holy Grail Games down, effective immediately.

Longer version:
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
16 Feb 2023 17:54 #338355 by Gary Sax
Fucking ouch
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.495 seconds