October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2650 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
15 Mar 2023 09:10 #338677 by hotseatgames
The fantasy follow-up to Core Space just launched. www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlesyste...hed_project_launched

I just sold off my Core Space a couple of weeks ago, so I'm definitely not in, but I have no doubt it's a cool game. I can also say this company runs a KS properly and fulfills their obligations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, charlest, BillyBobThwarton, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2023 04:20 #338820 by san il defanso
I backed the new printing of Swords & Wizardry. As I get older I'm becoming more and more of a retroclone guy, and while I use a lot of Old School Essentials I actually prefer the less gamified language of S&W. I also like that it has a few things that I would want in an OSE game, like progression up to Lvl. 20 and race and class separated.

It's just $35, which is very good for the regular offset print edition.

More
More
01 Apr 2023 10:32 - 01 Apr 2023 10:33 #338844 by ChristopherMD

Virabhadra wrote: Dungeon Degenerates: The Quantum Challenge

Is that Red Scorpion on the cover? Pass.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2023 10:33 by ChristopherMD. Reason: yes, i know
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra

More
01 Apr 2023 15:42 #338850 by Jackwraith

ChristopherMD wrote:

Virabhadra wrote: Dungeon Degenerates: The Quantum Challenge

Is that Red Scorpion on the cover? Pass.

Don't know how you could tell that. Her chest isn't levitating.

More
20 Apr 2023 15:15 #339075 by hotseatgames
They Live - the card game. www.kickstarter.com/projects/1708218446/...ity?ref=thanks-tweet

I decided to take a leap of faith on this one for a couple of reasons:

1. I love the film
2. It's a card game so the price point is lower
3. You get to PUT THE FUCKING GLASSES ON

I've read the rule book. It's fairly standard hidden role stuff, but there is some room to maneuver as the aliens, and they still get to be dangerous when revealed. It plays 3 - 6, and is obviously a more the merrier type of game. It's not funded yet so we will see how it progresses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, n815e

More
20 Apr 2023 15:43 - 20 Apr 2023 15:43 #339076 by charlest
They're struggling because their last game (also They Live IP) had many issues. I think they said this would be much improved, but the previous game had thin paper cards that were worse than current mass market games. There is some discussion on BGG.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2023 15:43 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, n815e

More
20 Apr 2023 16:36 - 21 Apr 2023 08:47 #339078 by hotseatgames
They discuss that they now have a new production partner and have released another game produced by them that has better components.

Edit:
It's funded, and the first upcoming stretch goal is linen finish on the cards, so they are clearly trying to make better cards this time around. That's a good sign.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2023 08:47 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
24 Apr 2023 18:37 #339093 by sornars
gamefound.com/projects/phantom-horizon/phantom-division

Phantom Division preview page is up! Congrats hotseatgames and SuperFlyTNT!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, hotseatgames, DarthJoJo, n815e

More
24 Apr 2023 18:42 #339094 by hotseatgames
Thanks! I was just coming here to post that!

More
24 Apr 2023 19:44 #339095 by Jackwraith
Sweet. Hope it goes well for you guys.

Inspired me to look at what I'm still in on. Nothing on Gamefound at the moment, but on KS:

Arcs- Cole's latest because Cole. I like a lot of the new concepts that he's centered this design around. Supposed to be delivering in December. We'll see (said the old man about the boy and his horse.)

Weimar: The Fight for Democracy- Because Weimar. It's such a fascinating period of modern European history. The price was steep, but I decided to spring for it. I really have to sell some stuff, though.

Chicken!- A Scott Almes thing. I only got in because my girlfriend (who adores chickens; we have four) saw the ad on BGG one time when I was there and said, as she always does whenever she sees one: "Chicken!" I figured it'd be a cool thing to bring to some of the outdoor festivals that we go to in the summer and fall, plus a good birthday gift for her.

Tiny Epic Crimes- Still on the TE train. I've been kinda lukewarm on two of their last three, so we'll see if it's a trend or a couple of hiccups.

Zoo Vadis- Because I liked the original, am a Knizia fan, and don't want to pay ridiculous prices for said original. Plus, new character abilities from the good Dr. himself.

Unmatched Adventures: Tales to Amaze- I am an Unmatched fan, despite my list of reservations/concerns that will appear in the Funko/Unmatched piece that I finished the other day (and which is in the TWBG queue.) Not entirely sure why this one had to be crowdfunded, though.

I think that's too many.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
24 Apr 2023 20:32 #339096 by Msample
I sprang for WEIMAR as well, looked interesting.

More
25 Apr 2023 17:45 #339097 by hotseatgames
Guards of Atlantis II is back on Gamefound, this time with an upgrade pack of 10 new characters. I'm pledging for that because I'm friends with the designer and also because I'm crazy. I love the game but I never get the group to actually play it.

If you can routinely summon 4 to 6 people who are up for deep strategy that is also not hard to learn, Guards is fantastic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, DarthJoJo

More
25 Apr 2023 22:30 #339099 by Shellhead
I played a few solitaire games of Firefly: the Game during the first year or so of the pandemic, and found it enjoyable enough, so I finally decided last year that I needed the Kalidasa expansion to finish the board. But it was sold out everywhere, even at the local used bookstores that also carry used games, though Barnes & Noble still had a couple of copies of the base game.

Today, I learned that GF9 is, uh, kickstarting a 10th anniversary edition of Firefly: the Game on Gamefound:

gamefound.com/projects/gf9/firefly-the-game

So far they are only talking about two levels of pledge for the game: new content only, and an all-in set that includes base, all expansions, and the new content. That's frustrating, because all I really want is Kalidasa and maybe the new content. I hope they eventually offer an ala carte option.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, n815e

More
26 Apr 2023 06:08 - 26 Apr 2023 06:23 #339102 by sornars
Sorry for stealing your thunder hotseatgames, I realise that I saw the announcement by you on Twitter in the first place!

I've never played Firefly, does it hold up? I was under the impression that it had mostly been replaced by XIA for most folks. It's also hard to compete with Merchant of Venus in the pick up and deliver genre.

Edit: Dug up this relatively recent discussion to answer my own question therewillbe.games/forum/podcast-video-di...top-firefly-the-game
Last edit: 26 Apr 2023 06:23 by sornars.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.355 seconds