October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
26 Jan 2019 17:56 #290726 by Katchoo
I haven't backed a game in years but I'm hoping and praying that Claustrophobia 1643 gets another kickstarter. The deal is, they made 10,000 copies - they sold almost 8000 in the kickstarter last year and they mayyyy do another kickstarter to get rid of the remaining 2000. Please happen. I started to follow a couple of geeklists on bgg to keep me up to date with projects but so far nothing has caught my fancy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2019 11:02 #290745 by stoic

Legomancer wrote: Finally, a DARK MINIATURES game about DARK HEROES who NEED TO PEE

FYI, not that anyone really cares, that miniature is a sculptor's take on what he thinks is a Wudang or Tai Chi sword cross-stance which is common in these types of Chinese martial arts. The feet, body mechanics, position of the arms, the type of swords used, and the hand positions of this miniature are all wrong though. The swords used in this style of fighting requires a cross-stance in order to generate and absorb enough circular energy to deflect an opponent's coming weapon strike in order to setup a counter-strike. The swords are spring steel, flexible, and can't withstand a direct strike from a heavier sword so they deflect strikes along the flat of the blade and absorb and redirect the energy.

Here's what the fighting style looks like.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, lj1983, vegasrobb, Frohike, sornars, Vysetron

More
27 Jan 2019 11:43 #290748 by Jackwraith

stoic wrote: FYI, not that anyone really cares, ... The swords are spring steel, flexible, and can't withstand a direct strike from a heavier sword so they deflect strikes along the flat of the blade and absorb and redirect the energy.

I really care, because you're right. Having practiced iaido for a number of years, in addition to weapons practice in aikido, it makes me cringe every time I see two people fighting with katana and getting into the typical European edge-to-edge block because both of those idiots have either just broken their blades or locked them together such that neither of them are usable. You block with the flat to redirect and to not break your sword. That means you have to turn your wrists. It's far closer to a proper golf swing, but everyone in Western movies is shown wielding one like a baseball bat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Frohike, stoic

More
29 Jan 2019 19:20 - 29 Jan 2019 19:20 #291049 by cdennett
Two Kickstarters that launched today that are worthy of some attention (that, full disclosure, I'm backing):

Sandy Petersen launched his sorta 4x asymmetric space game Hyperspace . Why I think it's notable from a KS point of view is this is their first project where they ditched the "Stretch Goal" nonsense, even noting on the page that it's a "bit of a sham." I also appreciate their approach to shipping, passing on most of the cost transparently. They do have some "exclusives" in 8 alien sculpts (to replace 8 tokens), but those are in the $70 pledge. You also need to spend close to $350 (with shipping) to get the best deal, so not saying everyone should be jumping on in. But I appreciate more transparency in campaigns, and they nailed it for me with this one.

The one I hadn't expected and kind of blind-sided me was 1001 Odysseys . It's basically a Narrative/Choose-Your-Own Adventure game with space travel with a cool watercolor aesthetic. But really why I am, at least for the moment, backing it is that the creative team for it is made up of 7 women. It's also being published by Asmadi Games, who already did a very good thing with One Deck Dungeon having a full female cast with realistic proportions. Need to spend some more time researching it, but I'm happy to see some more diversity in projects and their creators out there...
Last edit: 29 Jan 2019 19:20 by cdennett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, vegasrobb, Frohike, Ah_Pook

More
29 Jan 2019 20:03 #291054 by hotseatgames
Hyperspace looks really cool. What doesn't look cool is launching with upwards of 22 alien races for a total of $340 shipped. I find it hard to believe that all of those races will be balanced and functional.

I'd rather see it be a smaller launch, with other races coming out after the game was well established. But I know that is not the Kickstarter way.

I'll be keeping my money.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, mezike, Frohike, Vysetron

More
29 Jan 2019 20:17 #291056 by Gary Sax
The 10 dollars per expansion w/20 extra factions model is fucking wild. And, if it's anything like Cthulu Wars, it's going to be hard to get those expansions outside of some big Kickstarter pledges.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, hotseatgames

More
29 Jan 2019 21:26 #291060 by Vysetron
It looks alright, if a bit less exciting than the likes of Cthulhu Wars. Nothing about it has really wowed me so far. I'm honestly kind of surprised it's funding as well as it is given that we're in the thick of KS season.

More
29 Jan 2019 21:54 #291063 by Gary Sax
Good news is it'll easily make, so you'll get a chance at a second KS shortly after the first if it's any good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
08 Feb 2019 18:10 - 08 Feb 2019 18:13 #291911 by hotseatgames
I pledged for the final Millennium Blades expansion. Seems like a good deal, just getting the expansion plus extras for $60, free shipping.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99game...ref_tag=thanks_tweet
Last edit: 08 Feb 2019 18:13 by hotseatgames.

More
08 Feb 2019 18:28 #291915 by Gary Sax
Millennium Blades is one of those games I will never ever play but seems super cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
08 Feb 2019 18:52 #291917 by hotseatgames
I've played it twice, and hope to play it much, much more. It is super cool.

More
11 Feb 2019 13:48 #292089 by Legomancer
decided to go in on Tom Lehmann's 'The City'.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/167427101/t...lish-for-the-first-t

I like Jump Drive, which this is a differently themed version of (with other differences).

More
27 Feb 2019 16:40 - 27 Feb 2019 17:51 #293134 by southernman
After the great reviews of Western Legends I checked it out and it was my type of game, so once I found a copy I've gone for the expansion I went for the expansion to build the variety in the game:

www.kickstarter.com/projects/kolossalgam...tern-legends-ante-up

And then, after saying that's probably enough KSers arriving at the end of the year, I spotted something that looked like a pretty good post-apocalytic adventure game using the 'story book' mechanic that has become pretty popular in the last few years and that hooks me in (plus it's based on our 'cuzzies across the pond's island). Anyway if it sounds interesting to anyone it's called Waste Knights (oh, and I managed to have my FB entry for a card picked for the game - using my antipodean insider knowledge - so have to buy it now)

www.kickstarter.com/projects/galakta/was...ights-second-edition
Last edit: 27 Feb 2019 17:51 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
27 Feb 2019 16:46 #293136 by charlest
I really enjoyed the first edition of Waste Knights. It had a very difficult, poorly translated rulebook and it was a very heavy game, but it had tons of charm and felt unique.

This is...different. I think it still looks solid and I'm interested in the inclusion of more narrative elements. I'm backing as well.

More
27 Feb 2019 17:48 - 27 Feb 2019 17:52 #293141 by southernman
Yeah, I see in some forum posts at BGG that there is a mixed reaction from 1E owners. I thought it was a reasonable price for the game and hopeful replayability, plus now their annoucement about providing an app to provide more variety in the stories and even changes is a good a move (I'm a fan with what FFG did with the Descent and IA apps).
Last edit: 27 Feb 2019 17:52 by southernman.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.417 seconds