October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
06 Jul 2020 08:44 #311707 by Sagrilarus

mezike wrote: . . . plus transaction fees . . .

I haven't kickstarted in a bit. There's fees in addition to price and shipping?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2020 10:32 #311709 by mezike

Sagrilarus wrote:

mezike wrote: . . . plus transaction fees . . .

I haven't kickstarted in a bit. There's fees in addition to price and shipping?

Apologies for any confusion, I'm referring to currency transaction fees charged by my bank. Very few KS are in Sterling so every time I back one I get hit with a small % on top of the base exchange rate as well as a fixed fee of a couple of pounds for the microsecond of computing time it took the bank to process the transaction. It's an even bigger pain with KS like this that charge in two waves, once on the KS completion and again when they later charge for shipping in backerkit, as I get hit twice with the transaction fee.

This is part of why I hesitate on KS projects that I find interesting unless there is a generous discount on the product or a likely limitation on the aftermarket. Neither of these are the case here - I eventually got GT delivered at more than 25% cheaper than pledge + shipping, add in transaction fees and I saved about 30% by waiting for retail. The 'free' KS bonus crap wouldn't have made it worthwhile.

Actually I just noticed that the person handling this KS is the same one that did 7th Continent and Conan, and probably some others. I feel that he has a bit of an M.O. for pushing all those things we just love in these projects like FOMO, 'free' exclusive content, endless add-ons, and popcorn pricing on the pledge tiers. That puts up a bit of a red flag for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
06 Jul 2020 11:36 #311711 by jpat
I'm also in on Rallyman: Dirt. I've been enjoying GT a fair bit.

More
06 Jul 2020 13:15 #311714 by Gregarius
I actually already own the original Rallyman and Dirt expansion, and yet I'm STILL tempted by this KS. What is wrong with me? I've been loving RallymanGT on BGA, so I've been kicking myself for not backing the first one. Now my head is filled with all of these FOMO thoughts about things I really have no need for.

More
06 Jul 2020 17:14 #311727 by ChristopherMD

mezike wrote: The 'free' KS bonus crap wouldn't have made it worthwhile.

Actually I just noticed that the person handling this KS is the same one that did 7th Continent and Conan, and probably some others. I feel that he has a bit of an M.O. for pushing all those things we just love in these projects like FOMO, 'free' exclusive content, endless add-ons, and popcorn pricing on the pledge tiers. That puts up a bit of a red flag for me.

For what its worth, they said no more KS exclusives and have packaged the former GT exclusives too. Also they switched from a Stretch Goal model to a Daily Unlock model. So you can wait for retail on everything.

Right now I'm in for the Driver pledge. If it somehow becomes a lifestyle game then I'll check out expansions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
06 Jul 2020 17:36 #311729 by mezike
Yeah, I’m just suffering whiplash by going from enthusiastic to salty in the span of two forum posts.

Will watch how this one plays out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
07 Jul 2020 22:33 #311765 by Andi Lennon
I'm super excited by the recent announcement of a forthcoming KS for a DARKEST DUNGEON boardgame - despite the fact that licenses based on video games have bitten me in the past (hello, Dark Souls!). The IP and artwork in the original are so strong and the mechanics would translate really well to tabletop if handled right. Only issue i have is the fact that Mythic Games are handling development. What with past blunders like Joan of Arc's ongoing issues and the fact they have about 4 other KS games in development right now, it's a bit of a worry. Hopefully it doesn't become a bloated $400 mini-fest. I guess we'll find out later this year. I'm cautiously optimistic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
07 Jul 2020 23:06 #311767 by OhBollox
Love Darkest Dungeon but I don't rate Mythic at all. It's a pass from me. Inevitably mini-heavy, and I'm not painting ever again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
08 Jul 2020 08:44 #311776 by hotseatgames
I see Ascension Tactics is on KS. I have no doubt it's a fun and cool game. I'd never get it to the table, however.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
08 Jul 2020 18:26 #311797 by Ah_Pook

hotseatgames wrote: I see Ascension Tactics is on KS. I have no doubt it's a fun and cool game. I'd never get it to the table, however.

A friend of mine made the TTS mod for this, so I played it some times to help test it. its really quite fun, if you like Ascension and 2p tactical games. I think my nephew would love it, but I don't personally want to throw $100+ on it. doesn't seem like a $100 game to me I dunno. but it was really quite fun!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
16 Jul 2020 15:28 #312131 by Ah_Pook
I backed Whale Riders , a new Knizia game coming out from Grail Games. It looks like a fun, timeless kind of Knizia game. Move down a track and back, collecting resources to fulfill contracts in your hand that give you points and money to buy more resources. The game end is player controlled so it looks like you can get some fun time pressure to apply. Plus it's quite cheap which is nice ($26 for the game, shipped). And it has nice Vincent Dutrait art. All in all, this is exactly a game that I am going to back on Kickstarter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, mezike

More
16 Jul 2020 19:14 #312137 by Andi Lennon
I'm on board for The Night Cage. Cool black and white indie aesthetic on a DungeonQuest-esque tile laying co-cop?
Hell yeah.

www.thenightcage.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, mezike

More
25 Aug 2020 09:41 #313472 by The King in Yellow
Anyone else interested in this?
www.kickstarter.com/projects/octobernigh.../october-night-games

It's a digital game based on Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October. Zelazny is my favorite author, and this particular story captures all the wonder of Halloween and the classic monster tropes that you loved as a child. And to boot, it centers around the rare but topical occurrence of a full moon falling on Halloween.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
25 Aug 2020 11:10 #313478 by Shellhead
Once every few years, I re-read A Night in the Lonesome October, in the month of October. I try to just read the chapter for the current day of the month, but sometimes life gets in the way and I need to read a few chapters to catch up. Every time I have read it, I could almost glimpse a board game in it, so I'm not surprised that anybody went ahead and made that game. I can see that they had to file the serial numbers off, because Roger Zelazny is dead and his wife is completely opposed to games based on his works. It's too bad that she has control of his estate, because they were separated when he died. Roger's girlfriend, author Jane Lindskold, is the one who got him into role-playing games, and she would have been open to licensing games based on his books. Anyway, it's a shame about the license, because many of the characters in the book were in the public domain and could be easily used by a game designer, if not for fear of the Zelazny estate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The King in Yellow

More
25 Aug 2020 12:21 - 25 Aug 2020 12:22 #313481 by Ah_Pook
I don't think I'll back it but the ad running for Shitty Werewolf gave me a chuckle.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2020 12:22 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, WadeMonnig, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.566 seconds