October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
25 Aug 2020 17:13 - 25 Aug 2020 19:00 #313489 by Andi Lennon
The kickstarter for Machina Arcana 3rd Edition and new expansion 'To Eternity' launches on September 22nd.

I guess I can announce now that I've been hired as the head writer for the expansion content and have been working on it for the last couple of months. It's coming together nicely and features some cool new mechanics that add to an already very cool game. I'm pretty excited about this one you guys. If you have any interest in dungeon crawlers, co-op/ solo gaming or eldritch abominations then this will be right up your lamplit alley.

Check out the teaser below :
Last edit: 25 Aug 2020 19:00 by Andi Lennon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, jpat, hotseatgames, BillyBobThwarton, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2020 18:41 #313492 by Gary Sax
Congrats! Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi Lennon

More
22 Sep 2020 11:02 #314316 by southernman
And now Machina Arcana is live who can give me their opinion on it (since it's basically a reprint of 2nd edition), I like what I see and read and see it as a campaign-mode replacement for Eldritch Horror that we're a bit tired of (and the price seems fair) ?

Also Dungeon Universalis is being reprinted again, coming out this week I think. I'm on 'thinking about this one' at the moment, again it has a (long) campaign but it does seem you'll get most use out of it if you carry on using it afterwards for building your own rpg dungeoncrawlers, something we wouldn't be doing. So anyone own/played this and have some opinions on it ?

More
22 Sep 2020 13:35 #314356 by hotseatgames
A new The Thing board game launched today. www.kickstarter.com/projects/lastaurora/...hed_project_launched

While it looks better than Outpost 31 (which I own), I am not 100% sold on it yet. For one, Childs is not in the game, which smacks of a "hey surprise stretch goal that is totally obvious." Also, if the Thing overwhelms humans in an encounter, it can just simply choose one to kill, as in player elimination, enjoy sitting on your hands for X minutes. The game seems like it moves along swiftly, so perhaps this kind of thing only really happens when the game is nearing the end anyway. It's hard to say.

Also, once there are more than one "exposed" alien players, they work on the same nebulous "alien" team and act in the same alien phase. They don't each get dedicated actions.

I just don't know. It seems to overcome some of the shortcomings of Outpost 31, while perhaps introducing its own shortcomings. I'm curious what others here think of the rule book. Which, I might add, is rife with typos and male pronouns, including a search and replace of "her" with "him" that results in "other" becoming "othim."

More
22 Sep 2020 13:49 #314359 by Shellhead
This may seem like a weird complaint, but I think the components for that Thing kickstarter are too colorful and that detracts from the setting and theme.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
22 Sep 2020 16:41 #314386 by ubarose
@Southernman

I assume you have already read this Machina Arcana Review
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Andi Lennon

More
22 Sep 2020 18:02 #314405 by southernman

ubarose wrote: @Southernman

I assume you have already read this Machina Arcana Review

That would just be waaay too sensible and easy :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD

More
22 Sep 2020 21:04 #314413 by Andi Lennon
It would be remiss of me if I didn't mention this:
www.kickstarter.com/projects/456615294/m...a-arcana-to-eternity

Not only is it a great game but having been brought on board as the writer and scenario consultant on the new content I can assure you that what we have planned is going to raise it to the next level. If you dig uber-thematic, horrific, strategic and challenging gameplay with a narrative flair then this is totally your jam.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
22 Sep 2020 23:43 #314422 by Jackwraith
Sounds like a cool premise and I'm interested to see your work, but... ugh. Co-op. No mas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi Lennon

More
23 Sep 2020 00:38 #314423 by Andi Lennon

Jackwraith wrote: Sounds like a cool premise and I'm interested to see your work, but... ugh. Co-op. No mas.

Fair enough. There is a 1v all option if that sweetens the pot at all :)

More
23 Sep 2020 11:48 #314445 by ChristopherMD
I hope they release this in English someday as it sounds right up my alley and I like the artwork.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackfiskfo...vindsjal/description

Translated:

Experience bravado and hardships alongside your companions; explore mysterious jungle ruins; combat the intrusion of sorrow; resolves conflicts between rival factions; become heroes to the forgotten ordinary people. Make a name for yourselves and leave your mark in the world.
Vindsjäl is an adventure role-playing game with a focus on freedom, joy of discovery and camaraderie – for those who want to explore a colorful and alien world. In the game you portray outcast adventurers and daredevil fortune seekers, so-called wind souls.

More
23 Sep 2020 13:03 #314456 by ChristopherMD
Anyone else looking at this solitaire U-Boat game?

www.kickstarter.com/projects/3dartlab/ty...-warfare/description

I'd be tempted to just get the model as it looks like it'd be a fun project. I know as soon as I finished I'd want to play the game though. Cheapest game pledge is $116. Yikes!

More
23 Sep 2020 14:14 #314462 by the_jake_1973
Warfighter Fantasy is dropping on KS at the end of the month. I like the WF series, so I anticipate backing this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cambyses

More
30 Sep 2020 08:51 - 30 Sep 2020 08:52 #314664 by hotseatgames
So I have pledged for The Thing but may back out... I don't really care for how they are running the campaign (bizarro stretch goals that you really can't defend from the old "should have been in the game from the start" argument)... they just "unlocked" the first add-on expansion.

And what is it? It's called Norwegian Outpost and is based on the 2011 film. Who the fuck would want that? That movie sucked.

I was holding out hope that they would make an expansion that I would actually consider appropriate and worth my money: an expansion that adds 2 win conditions not covered by the base game. Here's what I would want:

1. A side board of the tool shed / underground tunnel in which the Alien(s) have to try to construct a ship before the humans destroy it.

2. An epic final combat showdown including a ridiculously large mini.

Sadly, I will be surprised if they do that. I'll keep watching until the end and make my final decision to bounce later.
Last edit: 30 Sep 2020 08:52 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, n815e

More
30 Sep 2020 15:35 #314687 by Cambyses

the_jake_1973 wrote: Warfighter Fantasy is dropping on KS at the end of the month. I like the WF series, so I anticipate backing this.

I've never played a Warfighter game, although it seems like something I might be interested in, so I checked this kickstarter out. The fact that they already have $200 worth of "expansion content" listed leaves a really bad taste in the mouth. It's like 175 bucks for an all-in pledge to a card game? Guess I'm out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.714 seconds