October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
29 Oct 2020 13:22 #315704 by hotseatgames
Time will tell how I interact with Core Space, but my current intent is to get this KS and that's it. I thankfully don't suffer from completionist tendencies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2020 16:56 - 09 Nov 2020 17:01 #316040 by southernman
Well I decided to treat Darkest Dungeon as my 2021 Christmas present to myself, I don't think it is worth the price (because I'm not a minis collector/painter) at $134 for a clever but simplish boardgame with 130 detailed minis but kept it. I see that they (Mythic) may have their version of a 'sundrop' finish for the minis but $60 extra (yes, 50c a mini is value I suppose) - it may just see me slapping/punching myself on the face ... we'll see how stupid I feel when the PM closes.

Decided to drop out of Nova Aetas: Renaissance, it is very similar to Sine Tempore but also more expensive so not good value to me on top of sharing 90% DNA with Sine Tempore.

Had some bad news on Rallyman: Dirt, it seems it will be provisioned from mainland Europe (no UK partner) so due to Brexit I will be hit for an extra 20%+ import taxes, not going to pay that so will just wait an extra year or so and get it cheaper from an online shop.

And more bad news as another of my KSers is delayed, this time Aeon Trespass: Odyssey as COVID rampages through Poland with some of the design team catching it :ohmy: . Don't need a game bad enough that it ends up being a memorial to someone in the team :( .
Last edit: 09 Nov 2020 17:01 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
10 Nov 2020 06:59 #316054 by Turek

southernman wrote: as COVID rampages through Poland

yes it is, about 25k cases and hundreds of deaths a day :(

More
16 Nov 2020 09:30 #316182 by southernman
Anyone looking at Bardsung ?
www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/bardsung/description

Looks like a campaign version of Darkest Dungeon ... minus about a 100 minis, where you can get a lot of game without having to buy untold expansions as with DD.

More
16 Nov 2020 09:41 #316184 by hotseatgames
I had glanced at Bardsung, but it didn't look like anything I hadn't seen before.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
16 Nov 2020 11:06 #316188 by charlest
I just don't know with Steamforged.

I do have a review copy of Horizon Zero Dawn which looks pretty good (haven't played it yet), and I'm hoping to play James Hewitt's Devil May Cry game from them, but their Dark Souls stuff just got such poor reception.

More
16 Nov 2020 12:01 #316190 by Sagrilarus

southernman wrote: Had some bad news on Rallyman: Dirt, it seems it will be provisioned from mainland Europe (no UK partner) so due to Brexit I will be hit for an extra 20%+ import taxes, not going to pay that so will just wait an extra year or so and get it cheaper from an online shop.

Jeeze. Take the ferry to Ireland and bring it home in a bag full of dirty laundry. They have beer in Ireland, worth staying for a bit.

This advice coming from a big big Union booster. But at some point, the fees just end trade period, not make it desirable to print domestically.

I've been tuned in on the Multi-Man Veteran's Day sale because their headquarters is just up the road from me, technically the closest "game store" to my house. Great prices, but the Canadian purchasers are wailing because they're getting hit with $150+ shipping charges due to duties and fees crossing the border. One guy buying the bigger titles at 75% off discounts racked up $250 in shipping. I could have the same package delivered for $35.

More
16 Nov 2020 12:04 #316191 by southernman
In some of the comments in Bardsung they are getting accused of copying D&D Warforged for the expansion minis, and D&D minis in general.

More
18 Nov 2020 09:49 - 18 Nov 2020 11:28 #316263 by southernman
So Awaken Realms put out the Etherfields kickstarter back in July 2019 and I didn't back it, can't remember if it was it sounded not my thing or it was too expensive or not friendly shipping for post-Brexit UK. Recently Shellie mentioned it as it was delayed as long as my Tainted Grail was (and coincidentally I just received an email from Gamefound today asking me to confirm my address for delivery of it - finally :woohoo:) and then I saw a link on the ISS: Vanguard FB page showing it being unboxed, so I had another read through the completed KS project page and updates .... and I like the sound of it now (plus a few play-through videos assisted), and the PM is open again for late pledges :pinch: .
Oh dear, may be more money going out ... well I have bailed on a few other KSers in the past few months being picky (sensible) so it may be time for some careless lunacy.
It does sound (to me, now) a brilliantly original idea for a game.
Last edit: 18 Nov 2020 11:28 by southernman.

More
18 Nov 2020 10:07 - 18 Nov 2020 10:07 #316264 by dysjunct
I ended up backing the (recently ended) POCKET PARAGONS, after Vysetron sang its praises on his BGG blog. Broke two of my game acquisition rules, “no 2p-only games,” and “no games with asymmetric roles,” but given that this plays in 3 minutes and is cheap, it shouldn’t be too much of a drag.

I keep trying to find the holy grail of board game replicas of fighting games, so far to no avail.
Last edit: 18 Nov 2020 10:07 by dysjunct.

More
18 Nov 2020 12:39 #316276 by charlest

southernman wrote: So Awaken Realms put out the Etherfields kickstarter back in July 2019 and I didn't back it, can't remember if it was it sounded not my thing or it was too expensive or not friendly shipping for post-Brexit UK. Recently Shellie mentioned it as it was delayed as long as my Tainted Grail was (and coincidentally I just received an email from Gamefound today asking me to confirm my address for delivery of it - finally :woohoo:) and then I saw a link on the ISS: Vanguard FB page showing it being unboxed, so I had another read through the completed KS project page and updates .... and I like the sound of it now (plus a few play-through videos assisted), and the PM is open again for late pledges :pinch: .
Oh dear, may be more money going out ... well I have bailed on a few other KSers in the past few months being picky (sensible) so it may be time for some careless lunacy.
It does sound (to me, now) a brilliantly original idea for a game.

I got it this week and it looks very interesting, although I probably won't be able to play it a for a few weeks due to other games farther ahead in line.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
18 Nov 2020 13:12 #316281 by southernman
As well as sounding like a very clever near-original idea it also has got a great art aspect to it. It will be interesting to see what you think since your previous AR experiences have been good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
18 Nov 2020 15:45 #316305 by Ah_Pook
I backed Hibachi , the new Grail Games reprint/retheme of Safranito. It's a dexterity game but also has commodity speculation and bluffing and set collection? It looks really neat I think.

More
18 Nov 2020 18:42 #316313 by hotseatgames
last 24 hours for Core Space if people have been on the fence. Expensive, but lots of stretch goals.
www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlesyste...t-born?ref=user_menu

More
18 Nov 2020 20:21 - 18 Nov 2020 20:21 #316317 by Gary Sax
This end of the campaign had caught me in a real "who gives a shit about anything" mood so I may back, thanks for resurfacing it.
Last edit: 18 Nov 2020 20:21 by Gary Sax.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.916 seconds