October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
18 Nov 2020 21:53 #316319 by hotseatgames
I don't accept responsibility for your purchase decisions ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2020 07:45 #316323 by southernman

charlest wrote:

southernman wrote: So Awaken Realms put out the Etherfields kickstarter back in July 2019 and I didn't back it, can't remember if it was it sounded not my thing or it was too expensive or not friendly shipping for post-Brexit UK. Recently Shellie mentioned it as it was delayed as long as my Tainted Grail was (and coincidentally I just received an email from Gamefound today asking me to confirm my address for delivery of it - finally :woohoo:) and then I saw a link on the ISS: Vanguard FB page showing it being unboxed, so I had another read through the completed KS project page and updates .... and I like the sound of it now (plus a few play-through videos assisted), and the PM is open again for late pledges :pinch: .
Oh dear, may be more money going out ... well I have bailed on a few other KSers in the past few months being picky (sensible) so it may be time for some careless lunacy.
It does sound (to me, now) a brilliantly original idea for a game.

I got it this week and it looks very interesting, although I probably won't be able to play it a for a few weeks due to other games farther ahead in line.

I'm becoming an Awaken Realms junkie ... I thought I was doing well with Nemesis Lockdown in only getting the original and not adding in Lockdown (thus keeping it just under £200 instead of heading towards £350) but now my restraint has just been shattered with the Etherfields PM re-opening (helped by Tainted Grail finally arriving soon) ... and the ISS: Vanguard kickstarter looming waiting to mug me.

More
19 Nov 2020 08:15 #316324 by hotseatgames
Vanguard is actually going to be on their own crowdfunding platform. I guess they finally got sick of paying KS 10%.

More
19 Nov 2020 10:36 #316330 by Gary Sax

hotseatgames wrote: I don't accept responsibility for your purchase decisions ;)

Yeah, I went all in on this dumb thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
19 Nov 2020 10:55 #316335 by Gregarius

Ah_Pook wrote: I backed Hibachi , the new Grail Games reprint/retheme of Safranito. It's a dexterity game but also has commodity speculation and bluffing and set collection? It looks really neat I think.

I'm in for that as well. Safranito was such a unique game experience that I was happy to pick up the reprint.

More
19 Nov 2020 10:58 #316336 by Msample

hotseatgames wrote: last 24 hours for Core Space if people have been on the fence. Expensive, but lots of stretch goals.
www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlesyste...t-born?ref=user_menu

Does this require the base game? Can you buy into the original on this KS ala NEMESIS/LOCKDOWN.?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Nov 2020 11:05 #316338 by hotseatgames
Doesn't require the base game, and no, the base game isn't listed as an add-on. They point you to their own storefront or something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Nov 2020 13:09 #316344 by Vysetron

dysjunct wrote: I ended up backing the (recently ended) POCKET PARAGONS, after Vysetron sang its praises on his BGG blog. Broke two of my game acquisition rules, “no 2p-only games,” and “no games with asymmetric roles,” but given that this plays in 3 minutes and is cheap, it shouldn’t be too much of a drag.

I keep trying to find the holy grail of board game replicas of fighting games, so far to no avail.

Pocket Paragons is the only preview I've ever done that I actually went in on a pledge for afterwards because I like the game that much. I think you'll enjoy it. It's better than it has any right to be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct

More
21 Nov 2020 12:41 - 21 Nov 2020 15:47 #316403 by southernman
OK, I have been following the chatter on Awaken Realm's new game ISS: Vanguard. Not sure how to label it, a sci-fi space opera 4x hybrid maybe. Anyway over the last couple of days main man from AR Marcin has done a couple of Youtube presentations introducing base concepts and mechanics of the game and todays was about the Ship ring-binder. Yes, there is no ship gameboard, or even a rules booklet it seems, the ship is represented by a fat ring-binder that will seemingly (to me) emulate the house-keeping, record keeping and save game functions that are done in a similar themed video game - one of the main constraints of creating an evolving legacy-type boardgame.
So this binder will contain pages that represent the four sections of the ship, each section being run by a different player (dependent on player numbers), and will have pocket pages for keeping cards for crew, ship components, events, planet discoveries and a lot more, It will also contain the actual rules of the game so you will only need to read the rules of the section you are doing at the time rather than referencing a full rulebook. Every section will even have its own 'memorial wall' page where the cards of crew members from your section who died are placed.
You will build up a number of crew for your section who will have different skills, and then select one of them to join crew from the other sections for the planetary mission where you will place them on your section's player board along with a selection of dice in a pool that they will use for their actions on the planet. The selected crew member will change between missions as injuries or specific skills dictate, and they will have opportunities to gain promotion during the game based around a mechanic of a secret 'task' card they will have for the mission.

Awaken Realms is really pushing the ideas of what you can do with a boardgame recently, Lords of Hellas, Nemesis and Tainted Grail were a start and then Etherfields pushed out even further and now ISS: Vanguard. All of these will probably not appeal to every gamer and, as they are all based on the game experience, maybe for not too many eurogamer-types who prefer elegant mechanics either but I am pretty excited in what they are doing.

PS - Yes, I know, rpgs have been doing similar for decades :whistle: :laugh:

Anyway, here are the videos:

Part 1: Landing on the Planet

Part 2: Ship Book
Last edit: 21 Nov 2020 15:47 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Frohike, charlest, BillyBobThwarton

More
23 Nov 2020 00:54 #316446 by Andi Lennon
I'm pretty jazzed on this title Arcadia Tenebra. Looks to offer something unique but the campaign is struggling.
www.kickstarter.com/projects/riggeddice/arcadia-tenebra

More
29 Nov 2020 14:18 #316672 by southernman
So there has been an unboxing video of a prototype of ISS: Vanguard - now I don't watch these types of videos (didn't know they existed until a year or so ago) but I have already been completely overcome by this game so 20 minutes of looking at bits wasn't go to kill me, quite the opposite it ended up.
Awaken Realms is really starting a new, or massively enlarging an existing, branch off our boardgame hobby with this game and they are starting to take over my game shelves. Anyway, here is an unboxing video ... and I recommend those that are on poor terms with their bank manager to look away.

More
29 Nov 2020 15:19 #316673 by Gary Sax
My very brief scrub through the ISS Vanguard prelaunch site is that it's trying to do a sort of Star Trek season thing. Is that about right? It's a great idea, even if I'm not in a financial position to do it having just done the big Core Space box.

More
29 Nov 2020 16:05 #316674 by southernman

Gary Sax wrote: My very brief scrub through the ISS Vanguard prelaunch site is that it's trying to do a sort of Star Trek season thing. Is that about right? It's a great idea, even if I'm not in a financial position to do it having just done the big Core Space box.

Not sure what you meant about the season thing (me showing lack of nerdiness on a nerd site), basically it seems it will be a scifi exploration with co-op ship/crew management, research and planet activities, with dice assignment and use plus hidden information and narrative. I haven't been reading all the updates for months like many have as I don't want to know everything before I see the game.

More
29 Nov 2020 16:17 #316675 by Turek
Mark Chaplin (LIFEFORM) has game similiar to ISS Vanguard planned for KS: Where humans don't belong

More
29 Nov 2020 16:28 #316676 by southernman

Turek wrote: Mark Chaplin (LIFEFORM) has game similiar to ISS Vanguard planned for KS: Where humans don't belong

Sounds very different (apart from being a ship in space exploring).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turek

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.348 seconds