W
whowhatwhycast
November 17, 2021
471 0
O
oliverkinne
November 16, 2021
691 0
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
09 Dec 2020 01:26 - 09 Dec 2020 01:26 #316945 by Gary Sax

Pretty clear sense of how the planetary away missions work. Looks like push your luck dice mechanics with a narrative that splits the difference between mass effect and star trek. Some pretty sketchy voice acting in the app. Overall pretty interesting. No idea if I'll back but the narrative looks fun and my spouse and I do love rolling dice in something like Arkham Horror.
Last edit: 09 Dec 2020 01:26 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, jay718

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2020 05:58 - 09 Dec 2020 06:41 #316946 by southernman
Yep, so far it looks exactly like what was proposed.
If you want a space exploration game with dice mechanics with strong narrative, a ton of hidden information and multiple different endings then this may be for you. And as Awaken Realms usually include most of their miniatures in add-ons (unlike companies like Mythic), plus I did read that there may be a standees option as well, then this should be reasonably affordable for a lot of game in the Core pledge.
Have to agree with the voice acting though :pinch: .
Last edit: 09 Dec 2020 06:41 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Dec 2020 09:58 #316948 by Ah_Pook
Speaking of Kickstarters, this picture of an all in Bloodborne pledge is 0_0

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, n815e

More
09 Dec 2020 10:12 #316949 by Gary Sax
lol, cmon strikes!

More
09 Dec 2020 10:40 #316950 by hotseatgames
Wow. And there is one of the things, possibly THE biggest thing I hate about Kickstarter. It throws out the concept of "an expansion per year" for popular games. Companies decided they could make more money selling you the entire product lifecycle at once since the game doesn't have to "succeed" first. They also do this because of KS limitations on the number of "active" projects, so if they want to stay afloat, they need huge projects since they can't do several small ones.

I would also be very surprised if most of those boxes are not almost completely empty. Such a waste.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, n815e, Andi Lennon

More
09 Dec 2020 10:52 #316951 by Gary Sax
I'm almost certain they aren't physically empty, it's just that mechanically they might be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, dysjunct, allismom3, jay718, mezike, hotseatgames, sornars, Varys, Ah_Pook, n815e, Andi Lennon

More
09 Dec 2020 11:15 #316952 by Shellhead
The holiday spirit finally caught up with me. As I was scrolling through the Bloodborne kickstarter, looking at all the unpainted minis (such as Mergo's chief attendants and Mergo's (non-chief) attendants) and I started hearing the song The Twelve Days of Christmas in my head. I mean, why not throw in such crucial miniatures as 8 maids a-milking and 7 swans a-swimming? Ho, ho, ho!

More
11 Dec 2020 20:02 #317095 by mezike
I made another late pledge, not sure what's got into me - it's either the festive spending mood or retail therapy for the maudlin months of winter. I don't think I've ever had more than one crowd-funded project backed at the same time before and now I have three, I clearly need help.

This time it's Townsfolk Tussle , a weird (in a good way) looking boss-battler that has an unusual vintage 'toon look about it. What drew me in was the interesting interactions with the scenery and the sorta-Gloomhaven-ish "it's a co-op but we're also out for ourselves" vibe. Some light legacy elements in that completing encounters adds cards into the game and some narrative epilogues that add a bit of fun. Heard about it through a friend and joined his group-buy which is the only way to get on as a late pledge, so even if it doesn't work out I guess the limited supply chain will let me flip it quickly. You see? It's that kind of dangerous logic that is the problem here.

More
11 Dec 2020 22:45 #317098 by Gary Sax
I feel you, my retail therapy urges have been really strong recently.

More
12 Dec 2020 02:19 #317100 by Michael Barnes
LMAO imagine being the sucker that went all in on that massive pile of Bloodborne...and after a couple of games you realize “uh...this kind of sucks?” Between that and Etherfields, there may be no better example of the sheer excess Kickstarter and the consumer gaming hobby has created.

I backed a couple of ten buck zines and really splashed out on a $30 one that’s like 200 pages.

More
12 Dec 2020 06:15 #317104 by Msample

hotseatgames wrote: Wow. And there is one of the things, possibly THE biggest thing I hate about Kickstarter. It throws out the concept of "an expansion per year" for popular games. Companies decided they could make more money selling you the entire product lifecycle at once since the game doesn't have to "succeed" first. They also do this because of KS limitations on the number of "active" projects, so if they want to stay afloat, they need huge projects since they can't do several small ones.

I would also be very surprised if most of those boxes are not almost completely empty. Such a waste.

There are limits on number of active projects? Someone forgot to tell CMON.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
12 Dec 2020 15:13 #317114 by Ah_Pook

Ah_Pook wrote: I guess searovers got cancelled and is going to relaunch in a couple weeks with gameplay videos and stuff in place. It was kinda limping to the finish line, and people wanted a better campaign? Hopefully it's still the reasonably priced straightforward thing when it relaunched but we'll see.

a year and a half later, this is back on kickstarer. it costs half again as much as it did last time around, which puts it above my impulse kickstarter backing range personally. shame, because i do think it looks like a neat game.

More
12 Dec 2020 18:58 #317118 by southernman

Ah_Pook wrote:

Ah_Pook wrote: I guess searovers got cancelled and is going to relaunch in a couple weeks with gameplay videos and stuff in place. It was kinda limping to the finish line, and people wanted a better campaign? Hopefully it's still the reasonably priced straightforward thing when it relaunched but we'll see.

a year and a half later, this is back on kickstarer. it costs half again as much as it did last time around, which puts it above my impulse kickstarter backing range personally. shame, because i do think it looks like a neat game.

I looked at it as well but it was at the top end of what I'd pay for a game of its content plus then I'd have to pay high shipping to the UK plus VAT (20%) on it so had to give it a miss. It's his labour of love and sounds pretty good but unless your discretional recreational expenditure is quite high it's just going to be a US game due to the extra costs for international buyers.
I wish him well with it.

More
15 Dec 2020 22:58 #317230 by Andi Lennon

mezike wrote: I made another late pledge, not sure what's got into me - it's either the festive spending mood or retail therapy for the maudlin months of winter. I don't think I've ever had more than one crowd-funded project backed at the same time before and now I have three, I clearly need help.

This time it's Townsfolk Tussle , a weird (in a good way) looking boss-battler that has an unusual vintage 'toon look about it. What drew me in was the interesting interactions with the scenery and the sorta-Gloomhaven-ish "it's a co-op but we're also out for ourselves" vibe. Some light legacy elements in that completing encounters adds cards into the game and some narrative epilogues that add a bit of fun. Heard about it through a friend and joined his group-buy which is the only way to get on as a late pledge, so even if it doesn't work out I guess the limited supply chain will let me flip it quickly. You see? It's that kind of dangerous logic that is the problem here.

I'm in on Townsfolk Tussle too. It's channelling Kingdom Death: Monster pretty hard (albeit with a wildly different aesthetic and less of a campaign focus) so I was immediately intrigued by that. Same deal with the 'Kingdoms' RPG zine which looks to try and emulate the KD:M cycle in a tabletop RPG of sorts. Derivative for sure but if it's building upon something I found so compelling then I'm always gonna be intrigued.

I'm also in for Sea Rovers which ticks my old-timey scurvy and bumming boxes, the new Dark Venture spin-off (look out for a review of the original here soon) and a bunch of third party Mork Borg stuff.

Now would also be an opportune time to mention that late pledges for Machina Arcana 3rd edition and expansions are STILL AVAILABLE! :D See me turn my hand to fiction with every card drawn!! You love adjectives right?

www.kickstarter.com/projects/456615294/m...eternity/description

More
15 Dec 2020 23:39 #317231 by Andi Lennon
That Bloodborne pile is ludicrous. Joan of Arc had a similar all-in pledge that was literally thousands of dollars. Personally I can't see ever needing that much content for any title. If a game is truly good its essential core gameplay loop should be robust enough to endure near infinite repeat plays, and if it isn't then no amount of extra content tacked onto it will remedy that.

I think we need to remember that these things are primarily aimed at miniatures enthusiasts and that the game itself is a distant second in their considerations. It's a mindset I can't quote wrap my head around but there's clearly enough people out there to keep these things coming. Successful kickstarters seem to have almost entered an arms-race whereby you need this kind of excess to compete. It can only end badly for the hobby but in the meantime there's a lot of great stuff funding at more modest and managemeble levels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, mezike, hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds