October 09, 2023
2493 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2696 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
16 Dec 2020 10:40 #317249 by Ah_Pook
I like the original Bloodborne video game enough that, if I were a collectible/miniature guy, I could see the appeal of having nice minis of all that stuff. That's not where in at personally though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Andi Lennon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2020 12:12 - 16 Dec 2020 12:12 #317256 by jay718

Andi Lennon wrote:

mezike wrote: Now would also be an opportune time to mention that late pledges for Machina Arcana 3rd edition and expansions are STILL AVAILABLE! :D See me turn my hand to fiction with every card drawn!! You love adjectives right?

www.kickstarter.com/projects/456615294/m...eternity/description

Thinking about late pledging this, but I'm pretty sure i can only swing the price of the base game. Are the expansions 'necessary?' How bummed (if at all) do you think someone would be without them?

Last edit: 16 Dec 2020 12:12 by jay718.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi Lennon

More
16 Dec 2020 12:55 - 16 Dec 2020 12:56 #317258 by southernman

jay718 wrote:

Andi Lennon wrote: Now would also be an opportune time to mention that late pledges for Machina Arcana 3rd edition and expansions are STILL AVAILABLE! :D See me turn my hand to fiction with every card drawn!! You love adjectives right?

Thinking about late pledging this, but I'm pretty sure i can only swing the price of the base game. Are the expansions 'necessary?' How bummed (if at all) do you think someone would be without them?

The expansions give you further scenarios and story, and heroes and gear, so it all depends on how much game you want in this world. At $20 each I just took both of them as if I liked the game and system (pretty sure I will from all the vids I watched and reviews read) then more story in a scenario based game is good, if not they should be easy to sell either as a bundle or separately.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2020 12:56 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Andi Lennon

More
16 Dec 2020 15:01 - 16 Dec 2020 15:07 #317264 by Gary Sax
tbh, I don't know what money means to other people. I've bought some big kickstarters too (Core Space, just now) and my main constraint besides money is space. If I didn't have that I might go for more, I dunno, I go for more of these single game or expansion KSers (Spirit Island, Leder Games stuff) than big multi expansion extravaganzas.

I will say I do worry *more* about the expansions that are not more is more stuff. If you're creating 10 expansions it *better* be more is more type stuff, there's no development time to make even halfway decent original gameplay expansions. That's my main concern about the KS model as a whole, the demands on development that get ignored and pushed through.

Edit: thanks for pointing out townfolk tussle, that art is incredible. Reminds me of the Riot board game that came out. Will keep my eyes open. On it.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2020 15:07 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula, sornars, Andi Lennon

More
16 Dec 2020 16:40 #317268 by southernman
The two expansions for Machina Arcana 3rd Ed are the expansion from the 2nd plus an expansion created for this KS ... and Andi L wrote the scenarios so we have to be polite and assume that they are good :whistle: .

More
16 Dec 2020 17:44 #317270 by Andi Lennon

jay718 wrote:

Andi Lennon wrote:

mezike wrote: Now would also be an opportune time to mention that late pledges for Machina Arcana 3rd edition and expansions are STILL AVAILABLE! :D See me turn my hand to fiction with every card drawn!! You love adjectives right?

As the 'To Eternity' expansion is my content then I'd say that YES IT IS ESSENTIAL. :D Same foes for the 'Codex Aeternum' book hahaha. Seriously though- the Core game has three scenarios, the 'From Beyond' expansion has the two scenarios from the previous KS 'special edition' and the 'To Eternity' box is three all new scenarios and a new way to play that features map expansions on the chapter cards. It also brings to a conclusion the story arc and fills out the lore of the universe in a way that informs the prior scenarios. Both expansions have a bunch of new explorer characters to play as and monsters to encounter too - there are 18 new beasts in "To eternity' alone.

For $20 each (or less with the bundle) I think it hits the sweet spot of being more good stuff without being overwhelming or superfluous. As each can be mixed and combined with the base game it really will add more variety to the experience.

Whether you need it or not depends on how much variety you want in your game I guess. Clearly I'm biased. :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
16 Dec 2020 17:50 #317271 by Andi Lennon

southernman wrote: The two expansions for Machina Arcana 3rd Ed are the expansion from the 2nd plus an expansion created for this KS ... and Andi L wrote the scenarios so we have to be polite and assume that they are good :whistle: .

Haha I can't promise they will be to everyone's taste- however I will say they're possibly more ambitious than a lot of other narratives in the boardgame space. Whether that's a good or bad thing will be a pretty subjective thing I guess. I'm currently buffing out the kinks to ensure I'm not up my own ass with the language. Expect sickness. And cosmic shit.

More
17 Dec 2020 10:36 #317275 by Gregarius

Andi Lennon wrote: Expect sickness. And cosmic shit.

That is some wicked sickness if it gives you cosmic shits.

More
17 Dec 2020 16:57 - 17 Dec 2020 16:58 #317301 by southernman
for all those who may have been interested in my previous posts on Awaken Realm's new game ISS: Vanguard it has gone live on the Gamefound site:
gamefound.com/projects/awaken-realms/iss-vanguard#/

Some reviews and play-thrus of the prototype:
www.youtube.com/results?search_query=iss+vanguard&sp=CAI%253D
Last edit: 17 Dec 2020 16:58 by southernman.

More
18 Dec 2020 14:34 #317323 by ChristopherMD
Didn't take Gamefound long to get added to my shitlist. I hate getting spam emails for kickstarter shit and their private version isn't any fucking different. They didn't even add an Unsubscribe option. Will never support them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
18 Dec 2020 19:07 #317329 by n815e
I get messages from them reminding me to complete my pledges for games I got dropped my pledges on.

More
30 Jan 2021 16:35 #318580 by Ah_Pook

Ah_Pook wrote: I like the original Bloodborne video game enough that, if I were a collectible/miniature guy, I could see the appeal of having nice minis of all that stuff. That's not where in at personally though.

Turns out the local game store pledged as a retailer for base pledges of BB, and I had store credit, so $90 of store credit later I've got the base box and the 3 Kickstarter bonus boxes in my trunk. I don't think I'll ever need more stuff than this, but the gameplay videos I've watched since people have gotten the game made it look quite fun, and id be lying if I said I wasn't excited just by the toy factor. It should all condense down into one box also, which will be nicer than the 6 foot tall pile of all in boxes I've seen pictures of.

More
30 Jan 2021 17:40 #318582 by Gary Sax
Yeah, it's interesting because some of these BIG MINIS HUGE BOX kickstarter games could be good, but it's very hard to assess what the reviews mean unless you get a very trusted reviewer. It's a human psychological characteristic to be committed to things you spent a lot on.

More
30 Jan 2021 18:00 #318585 by hotseatgames
Bloodborne does sound interesting, even though I have no affinity for the video game. But yeah, seeing pictures of it all stacked up makes me want to throw up.

More
30 Jan 2021 18:35 - 30 Jan 2021 18:36 #318587 by southernman

southernman wrote: Woo hoo :woohoo: ! Latest Tainted Grail update says shipping of Wave 2 (and us single wavers) starts for Europe on 7 Dec so I might have something to do over Christmas in our (probable) continued semi-lockdown (and my Waste Knights kickstarter also might arrive before the end of the month so need more tables) . Oh - apparently you greedy Americans have used up all the containers for your Christmas shipping so US and Canadian ones won't start shipping until the new year.

Well my Waste Knights arrived on time before Christmas but since we are locked down until hell freezes over I played the intro solo scenario (once) then put it on the shelves with all the other unemployed boxes, but still waiting for my Tainted Grail. Awaken Realms didn't get all the UK Tainted Grail pledges posted before the UK became a separate country to the EU on Jan 1st so they had to work out all the extra paperwork needed for customs so put it in the too hard pile and have left them to do at the end of all the European shipments - so I may be getting it in February.

Ended up doing a late pledge for Etherfields and one for HEL: The Last Saga, then the Darkest Dungeon pledge manager opened - so I took my collector/fan/nostalgia hat off and put my reality hat on and sold my rarely played (but very loved) Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit to make a big dent in it.
Since I've been locked in from doing anything interesting for 7 of the the last 11 months (and still have two more by the sound of it) I have a bit extra discretionary cash left over so thought I may as treat myself to a few interesting games since I'm not getting any younger ...
Last edit: 30 Jan 2021 18:36 by southernman.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.556 seconds