October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
30 May 2021 19:29 #323579 by hotseatgames
My intent is to either put the tokens in standees or use wooden blocks to raise them up off the board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2021 08:44 #323604 by DavidNorris
Latest Game I Backed: Stationfall

Looks dumb, amazingly dumb, but in a good sense can't wait to see all the stories that fall out of it. Nothing like I've seen before, and for someone with a collection my size. That's what makes it tempting.

Backed game I'm most looking forward too: Unsettled, and Merchants of the Dark Road

Hoping for the next great Coop game for Unsettled, and Merchants looks like a solid mid weight game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
07 Jun 2021 15:30 - 07 Jun 2021 15:31 #323783 by sornars
I had to jump off the Witcher: Old World train. The game looks bloated beyond belief now and the amount of content has either not been playtested or has been and this was just executed as a hyper cynical KS which left a bad taste in my mouth. If the game is good I'll grab it at retail.

When will boardgamers realise that less is sometimes more? I'd much rather have a tightly tuned game with a handful of options rather than boxes and boxes of mediocrity with the occasional flash of brilliance.
Last edit: 07 Jun 2021 15:31 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, ChristopherMD, mtagge, BillyBobThwarton, n815e

More
07 Jun 2021 16:50 #323785 by BillyBobThwarton
In for Spintronics, a series of puzzles where you use the pieces provided to build mechanical circuits to learn electronics. I have found parenting to be a challenging and humbling endeavor. I am hoping that at least one of my three children will enjoy exploring it with me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718, mezike, sornars, Nodens, n815e, DavidNorris

More
07 Jun 2021 19:45 #323788 by hotseatgames

sornars wrote: I had to jump off the Witcher: Old World train. The game looks bloated beyond belief now and the amount of content has either not been playtested or has been and this was just executed as a hyper cynical KS which left a bad taste in my mouth. If the game is good I'll grab it at retail.

When will boardgamers realise that less is sometimes more? I'd much rather have a tightly tuned game with a handful of options rather than boxes and boxes of mediocrity with the occasional flash of brilliance.

I'm still in, but ONLY for the standard edition. All of the add-ons scream half-baked. I may yet bounce, but I'm waiting to see what their "free" female player character is. They promised it, so if they don't do it, I'll definitely bow out. I don't care for what they did with the Mages expansion at all. They didn't need to do an entirely different set of cards that is surely not equivalent to what Witchers get. They literally should have just released female players that can use the witcher cards. Done deal, would have been an easy pick-up. As it is, I suspect combining Mages and Witchers in the same game will lead to all sorts of nonsense.

The comment section for this game is like some horrid car accident... I know I should not look, but....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, sornars, n815e

More
08 Jun 2021 05:13 #323793 by sornars
I do think the standard edition is probably fine value and not too bloated but the whole Kickstarter was run in such a way as to turn me off from being a backer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
08 Jun 2021 05:54 #323794 by DavidNorris
Such a shame, The Witcher is such a great theme. I didn't mind other Witcher game put out a couple years ago.

More
08 Jun 2021 08:03 #323795 by Ah_Pook

sornars wrote: I do think the standard edition is probably fine value and not too bloated but the whole Kickstarter was run in such a way as to turn me off from being a backer.

The base pledge is almost always the way to go on these big mini Kickstarters I think. If you can tame your FOMO you don't end up with 10 huge boxes of half baked garbage you never even open, and you get the best value re extra stuff vs retail. This all assumes you want to back a big mini heavy Kickstarter in the first place, which is not usually where I fall on those things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, n815e

More
08 Jun 2021 12:38 #323800 by hotseatgames
They just announced that the final stretch goal for Witcher Old World is Ciri, the only female Witcher. I really like this announcement, not only because it finally adds a female character to the base game, but also because it "bends the lore" a bit, which is fantastic because it gets all the neckbeards up in arms.

I think the base pledge is a great value. It's a shame that they didn't just put some blinders on and ignore the KS crowd, perhaps the campaign would have been more reasonable. All of the expansion stuff is nonsense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
08 Jun 2021 13:42 #323804 by Gregarius

BillyBobThwarton wrote: In for Spintronics, a series of puzzles where you use the pieces provided to build mechanical circuits to learn electronics. I have found parenting to be a challenging and humbling endeavor. I am hoping that at least one of my three children will enjoy exploring it with me.

That project looks fantastic and I'm sorely tempted, but the price is just too high for me to justify. I don't think it's too much for what you get, I just have too many toys already.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718, n815e

More
08 Jun 2021 14:52 #323805 by the_jake_1973
Having mainly played the video game, it would be very strange to have a Witcher game without Ciri as a Witcher option. Because they did that as part of the video game, I thought that it was now canon that women could be Witchers, but it was uncommon that they survive the Trial of Grasses. That there was such static about the inclusion is both disappointing and unsurprising. 'ruinin mah witchurz!'
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Ah_Pook

More
08 Jun 2021 23:35 #323812 by Disgustipater
When you said there wasn’t a female witcher option, I figured that Ciri must be using some other mechanic in the game as she is the blatantly obvious choice for at least one female witcher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Jun 2021 00:04 #323813 by hotseatgames
Obvious choice for people with reason. The troglodytes are VERY concerned about THE LORE. It is taking everything in me to not go off on them.

More
15 Jun 2021 15:32 - 15 Jun 2021 15:33 #323992 by southernman
New/recent announcements of bigger Kickstarters (yes, happy to admit I don't mind spending extra currency on big games that both play and look good - I'll just get rid of them if they don't, like I just have with Destinies) here or coming up has me looking for extra pennies to save:

Lords of Ragnarok - Awaken Realms announcement today of a cousin for Lords of Hellas.
Wild Assent: Lavon Rising
Lands Of Galzy
Chronicles Of Drunagor: Age Of Darkness Apocalypse
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Agemonia
Gaijin

And those are just the ones I have narrowed down to being interested in, already cut games like 6: Siege - The Board Game out so I don't appear too much of an idiot. Time for some more selling, and to be fair to myself I have sold two this week and traded away Destinies.

On a tangent it's quite interesting tuning into the regular Q&As with some of these big companies to hear what is happening in their world, from Awaken Realms this week found out that one city/province in China currently has rolling (planned) power outages due to the excessive consumption due to high temperatures and another city/province has a lockdown due to a COVID outbreak, and then there is the ongoing increase in the price for containers that is apparently up 500% since last year when 10% a year was about normal.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2021 15:33 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
15 Jun 2021 16:17 #323995 by Msample
The chaos in the shipping/supply chain is gonna be wreaking even more havoc than usual with KS going forward. FROSTHAVEN, when it’s finished, will take ONE HUNDRED FIFTY shipping containers just to fulfill orders for backers. Even in normal years that would take awhile. This year ? Gonna be an utter fucking goat rodeo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, mezike, hotseatgames, sornars, BillyBobThwarton, Ah_Pook

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.372 seconds