October 09, 2023
2497 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
15 Jun 2021 16:58 #323998 by hotseatgames
Ugh.... now I can imagine a new KS tier of shipping to have your game sent via air. Although for every jackass who would spend that money, that is one less that has to be on a boat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2021 21:42 - 15 Jun 2021 21:42 #324003 by Msample
I doubt it will come to that. The biggest bottleneck is transit from the factory to the fulfillment locations. Factories aren’t gonna get into the business of splitting off a handful of boxes and air freighting them. Air shipping from a fulfilling location to the end user might shave a few days but that’s about it.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2021 21:42 by Msample.

More
16 Jun 2021 13:33 #324021 by southernman

Msample wrote: I doubt it will come to that. The biggest bottleneck is transit from the factory to the fulfillment locations. Factories aren’t gonna get into the business of splitting off a handful of boxes and air freighting them. Air shipping from a fulfilling location to the end user might shave a few days but that’s about it.

Interestingly I read your post about 5 minutes after looking at the new Kickstarter from Phalanx Games, Coalition, and in the FAQ they say they will be airfreighting (using FedEx) to all backers:
"The games will be shipped from the EU using FedEx air freight, so the delivery date will be close to the production date. Phalanx will be responsible for shipping all the editions of the game."

Mark seems to have the pulse of the industry :laugh:

More
16 Jun 2021 13:38 #324022 by hotseatgames

southernman wrote:
Mark seems to have the pulse of the industry :laugh:

lol

More
16 Jun 2021 15:58 #324026 by jpat
I joked about it some when the first-edition KS came out, but I did back the (slightly) second-edition version of War Room, the Larry Harris WW2 game. For a while, I've wanted to play A&A Global, and my wife has mostly enjoyed A&A Anniversary, but it's in all likelihood a toad in waiting.

Not excited about receiving the latest Conan KS stuff, which already takes up too much space. FOMO got the better of me a year or so ago. I'm thinking of trying to move the whole lot of it after I get the latest bit--if I can literally move it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
16 Jun 2021 16:09 #324028 by charlest
I was tempted by the new Conan stuff (it's on my top 30 games), but ultimately passed.

Curious if the reworked solo mode is better than the Compendium.

More
16 Jun 2021 16:18 #324030 by hotseatgames

jpat wrote: I joked about it some when the first-edition KS came out, but I did back the (slightly) second-edition version of War Room, the Larry Harris WW2 game. For a while, I've wanted to play A&A Global, and my wife has mostly enjoyed A&A Anniversary, but it's in all likelihood a toad in waiting.

War Room looks like a cool game I would never get to play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
16 Jun 2021 19:19 #324032 by n815e
I have been thinking about War Room. I have a friend that would love this, he’s a fan of Axis and Allies.

The thing is, I don’t have five friends that would want to play this for 12 hours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jpat, sornars, Ah_Pook

More
16 Jun 2021 20:33 #324034 by Jackwraith
I see the name of that game and all I can think of is this:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, ChristopherMD, Gregarius, n815e

More
17 Jun 2021 11:27 #324045 by jpat
There's apparently some effort for a quick-battle system that's supposed to shave hours off--at what cost, unknown--but part of the attraction of this sort of thing is its overindulgence, perhaps best exemplified by the command staves they've sold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
18 Jun 2021 08:20 #324068 by Brewmiester
I backed the Pulp Alley Starter set KS. The game looks fun, it looks like a smaller company that could use the help, I've always loved the pulp genre, and I already have some terrain that should work well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, n815e

More
18 Jun 2021 08:42 #324069 by n815e

Brewmiester wrote: I backed the Pulp Alley Starter set KS. The game looks fun, it looks like a smaller company that could use the help, I've always loved the pulp genre, and I already have some terrain that should work well.

This is a very good and versatile set of rules. You’ll find you can use it for just about any cinematic or adventure setting.
The “company” is a dad and daughter team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
21 Jun 2021 15:53 #324130 by Shellhead
I'm not backing any Kickstarters at the moment. Instead of the usual anti-Kickstarter screed, my current feeling about Kickstarter is sadness. A couple of months ago, I joined a local Facebook group called Minnesota Board Game Exchange. Now I see daily posts from people trying to sell barely-played board games, usually of fairly recent vintage. The kickstarter ones are sometimes obvious because there is a ridiculous number of add-ons and expansions grouped in the same ad. It's sad that people bought these games on a gamble, and are now trying to get rid of them so they can probably kickstart other shovelware games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Brewmiester, sornars, n815e

More
22 Jun 2021 08:31 #324136 by Ah_Pook
Terraforming Mars Ares Expedition is on sale at Target now, months before the Kickstarter is set to deliver. If you want to see prime "I'm mad on the internet" go look at the comment section on their Kickstarter page.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, sornars, n815e

More
22 Jun 2021 08:46 #324137 by hotseatgames
Ah... is that the game that spawned the death threats I was hearing about?

Gamers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.343 seconds