October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
22 Jun 2021 10:16 - 22 Jun 2021 10:18 #324138 by Ah_Pook
Re Target having Terraforming Mars Ares Expedition in stock well in advance of Kickstarter fulfillment:

My understanding is Kickstarter copies were expected to be fulfilled by now, but international shipping delays boned it up. Target presumably leases their own container ships or whatever.

Also, I'm live streaming some solo games of Ares Expedition this afternoon at 3pm EST, if anyone's curious about it :)
www.twitch.tv/ah_pook23
Last edit: 22 Jun 2021 10:18 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2021 10:59 #324141 by Gregarius
I'm intrigued by Fighters of the Pacific .

It's like Memoir '44 for the air war. It looks nice, but I think my chances to play it will be low. I'm currently in for a buck; that's my new way of satiating my FOMO while allowing my rational brain to make the actual decision later. Anyway, I'm sharing it because I thought it might appeal to some of you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
22 Jun 2021 11:29 - 22 Jun 2021 12:30 #324142 by Sagrilarus

Ah_Pook wrote: Re Target having Terraforming Mars Ares Expedition in stock well in advance of Kickstarter fulfillment:

My understanding is Kickstarter copies were expected to be fulfilled by now, but international shipping delays boned it up. Target presumably leases their own container ships or whatever.

Time to go give it a monster review, stir the pot a little more. "I've only played 20 times so far, but it just keeps getting better!"

Fighters of the Pacific looks good. Multi-player wargame doesn't hurt. $120 plus shipping though, sight unseen. I'll wait and pick this up at Target before it ships to backers.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2021 12:30 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, jay718, jpat, Msample, mezike, birdman37, sornars, BillyBobThwarton, n815e

More
22 Jun 2021 12:51 #324148 by n815e
This was the best thing I’ve read all day.

Sagrilarus wrote:

Ah_Pook wrote: Re Target having Terraforming Mars Ares Expedition in stock well in advance of Kickstarter fulfillment:

Time to go give it a monster review, stir the pot a little more. "I've only played 20 times so far, but it just keeps getting better!"

Fighters of the Pacific looks good. Multi-player wargame doesn't hurt. $120 plus shipping though, sight unseen. I'll wait and pick this up at Target before it ships to backers.

More
22 Jun 2021 13:13 #324149 by Gregarius
I'm a little concerned about Fighters of the Pacific's claim of "no luck." I understand why people might think the C&C stuff has too much, but with none at all, it might be way too dry.

More
22 Jun 2021 14:12 #324154 by Sagrilarus

Gregarius wrote: I'm a little concerned about Fighters of the Pacific's claim of "no luck." I understand why people might think the C&C stuff has too much, but with none at all, it might be way too dry.

Ooh. That's a showstopper.

More
22 Jun 2021 22:17 #324163 by Andi Lennon
"War Room' got me- god help me. At least it looks like box size wise it'll stack neatly atop Twilight Imperium in the 364 days a year it isn't being played.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Msample, hotseatgames, n815e

More
26 Jul 2021 18:56 - 26 Jul 2021 20:09 #324947 by sornars
I'm very interested in the Kickstarter for Earthborne Rangers which is going live tomorrow. Andrew Navaro and the Sadler brothers is enough pedigree for me to give it a look. The environmental angle seems a bit like greenwashing to me but it's better to do it than not, I'm all for more local productions. Having said that, I'm fine with higher price points but everything not produced in China seems to also have terrible international distribution, it looks like they are trying to address that problem in this Kickstarter. You can find a preview of the game here: www.destructoid.com/earthborne-rangers-h...n-preview-interview/

www.kickstarter.com/projects/earthbornegames/earthborne-rangers
Last edit: 26 Jul 2021 20:09 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, cdennett, n815e, Kmann

More
27 Jul 2021 18:39 - 27 Jul 2021 19:06 #324969 by sornars
Now that the campaign is live, here are my thoughts: there's a ton of Arkham Horror LCG DNA in this design from what I can see but the narrative and focus seems to be much more exploratory rather than railroaded towards a confrontation. I'm getting Ryan Laukat/Red Raven Games vibes from what they're trying to evoke. Deckbuilding looks almost identical to Arkham Horror LCG. The preview mentioned that one of the design goals was to be an accessible game that can still challenge veteran gamers so I imagine the harsh punishments for failure from Arkham will be done away with. The Man Vs Meeple preview said that you'll accumulate side-quests which must be completed in a session which may distract you from pursuing your main quest so it sounds like a branching storyline with flexible sequencing may be a thing. I like the art and the idea of a post apocalyptic world where the story is based on hope is something I'd appreciate at this point in time.

I'm in for this one, a more relaxed version of Arkham Horror LCG sounds pretty good to me. I'm really hoping to see some more gameplay and a rulebook before the end of the campaign but I have pretty high hopes nonetheless.

This is probably not in the spirit of this thread and I really don't want to re-learn how to type but this keyboard is also tempting me mightily: www.kickstarter.com/projects/keyboardio/model-100
Last edit: 27 Jul 2021 19:06 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Kmann

More
27 Jul 2021 19:49 - 27 Jul 2021 20:02 #324974 by Frohike
The 4th printing of Dungeon Degenerates is up soon and I'll definitely be in for the new monster deck(s), and whatever pewter mini they'll throw in there.

I think I'm indefinitely out of the loop for anything else in the crowdsourcing arena for the foreseeable future. Not enough space, shelf toads, dungeon crawl saturation, overproduction, etc.

I just got a giant box of replacement material from Greenbriar Games for Folklore, since their initial run had some weird bacterial/mold infection that freaked people out. It reminded me of mold-gate with Catacombs, and yellow-ooze-gate with Clash of Cultures. It took me two weeks to get around to opening the giant box, clearing space, and parking the old infected material in the garage until I eventually send it to the landfill.

I've got some industry fatigue at this point with pretty much everything involving: overseas production problems, logistical shipping problems, and the Kickstarter paid review echo chamber. To me it just feels like a minefield of under-vetted, bloated, dual-layered, neoprened, iterative trash just waiting to claim more space than pretty much any of it deserves. So I think I'm tapping out of this aspect of The Hobby.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2021 20:02 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, ChristopherMD, sornars, Gregarius, Ah_Pook

More
27 Jul 2021 20:07 - 27 Jul 2021 20:11 #324975 by Ah_Pook
before covid i had games i was excited about coming out, now i dont even know the name of a game thats coming out. i buy new Marvel Champions stuff and that is basically it. kickstarter boardgames have become a thing that i have almost no desire for. that said, im also in for the new monster decks and whatever else new they drop in the Dungeon Degenerates reprint campaign.

edit: Earthborne Rangers looks cool, but let me tell you the ways that I'm not dropping $150 blind on a huge pile of a card game that ive never played.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2021 20:11 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Kmann

More
27 Jul 2021 20:41 #324976 by hotseatgames
I have far too many outstanding Kickstarters right now. I've told myself the only one I'll even consider going forward is The Gothic Game. I have also gotten to the point where it's just too much, and my gaming group is cut in half now thanks to anti-vax nonsense, and it wasn't a large group to start with.

Way back, I had kickstarted the standalone sequel to Nemesis. I don't know when it will actually show up, but I'm not excited at all anymore, because I don't think I can get 5 people in a room to actually play it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, southernman, sornars

More
28 Jul 2021 12:42 #324981 by southernman
I'm a bit (lot) like mark with outstanding kickstarters so I'm actually being very pragmatic and restrained (in comparison to the last couple of years). Have left Bantam West alone as I have a full set of Western Legends and can't see BW doing much more than WL to make it worthwhile (also I'm overloaded a bit on semi narrative/sandbox games), I'm interested in Dungeon Degenerates just to get the 'Guide books' with the extra scenarios (got most other of it), and there's a few coming up in Aug/Sep that I'm interested in seeing a bit more about - Arydia: The Paths We Dare Tread , Agemonia, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Gaijin, and Lords of Ragnarok.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, n815e

More
28 Jul 2021 13:12 - 28 Jul 2021 13:14 #324982 by charlest
In the same boat, getting pickier.

Bantam West and Earthborne Rangers look great, but just can't do it.

I was briefly tempted by Chronicles of Drunagar too. Way too expensive though.

Also have a big itch to check out the new Descent, but can't get anyone to take my review and it just costs too much for the budget right now.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2021 13:14 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, hotseatgames, n815e

More
28 Jul 2021 13:41 #324984 by Msample

charlest wrote: In the same boat, getting pickier.

Bantam West and Earthborne Rangers look great, but just can't do it.

I was briefly tempted by Chronicles of Drunagar too. Way too expensive though.

Also have a big itch to check out the new Descent, but can't get anyone to take my review and it just costs too much for the budget right now.

I just did brief write up of Drunagor in the What Have You Been Playing thread .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, charlest

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds