D
DavidNorris
October 07, 2021
910 0
T
thegiantbrain
October 06, 2021
361 0
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
07 Sep 2021 11:43 - 07 Sep 2021 11:44 #326313 by mezike
The project for Eleven has just gone live and I was not expecting five expansion boxes straight out of the blocks. Price seems ok given what you get in the box, and UK shipping is back on again! Not sure if I'll take all of those boxes but I probably will, the only thing I wanted more of in Club Stories was more scenarios so it's great that the solo box has been bumped up to eight of them.

Also has a TTS mod but limited to solo or two player - I'm up for trying the two player game if anyone else is keen.

edit: huh, this is what happens when you take a call in the middle of making a post!
Last edit: 07 Sep 2021 11:44 by mezike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2021 12:17 - 07 Sep 2021 12:17 #326317 by Gary Sax
5 expansions at launch is a really rough one tbh. Is there any ks/gamefound exclusive stuff to worry about?
Last edit: 07 Sep 2021 12:17 by Gary Sax.

More
07 Sep 2021 12:27 - 07 Sep 2021 13:17 #326318 by sornars
Only custom shaped tokens and a stadium shaped dice tray so far. All of the stretch goals will be Gamefound specific. It looks like you can just wait for three weeks to see what will be exclusive as they have "daily unlocks" scheduled and no gameplay related stuff will be exclusive.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2021 13:17 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
07 Sep 2021 13:05 #326324 by mezike
It looks like the expansions are all extra stuff created during development, there is more than enough game in there without them. No idea if they will make much of a difference or just be more complex versions of what is in the base game. The only one I would definitely want is the solo scenarios. I didn't see a guarantee on non-gameplay stretch goals, I mean the first one which are those asymmetric starting cards are gameplay related, but when they did Pret a Porter all of the stretch goals were complete garbage so I'm not expecting much.

Watched a bit of one of the videos and I'm a little disappointed to see the networking and action mechanisms jettisoned from the design as they were two of the most notable things about it (each employee increased the size of a related card market, e.g. a scout gave you access to a larger number of players, and the action mechanism gave you three dice so that you could double up to increase the odds of doing one important thing really well at the cost of doing one fewer action). On the plus side though they have made the team scouting action a fixed part of matchday when it used to be something you had to hire someone to do, and I like that because it's one of the really fun parts of play. The club directors have been much improved which is also good as they weren't much more than a colour swatch for the Monday events.

Gaining resource tokens is a new thing, I kind of like it but a lot depends on how the "Monday" cards now work - managing those tracks used to be vital to how those events would hit you and was a real tightrope at times, if it's just for resource generation now then it might end up taking a chunk of drama out of play. It looks a little blandified into more generic and familiar Eurogame concepts to me, but maybe intense play during development just made them realise it wasn't making much of a difference to put it into a more familiar shape.

Still stoked for this though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
07 Sep 2021 13:10 - 07 Sep 2021 13:32 #326325 by sornars
I could've sworn that I had seen that but I took another look and couldn't find that guarantee about gameplay exclusives either. It's very possible I replaced the words Gamefound exclusive and Gameplay exclusive in a previous skim.

edit:Found it!

today we revealed all planned expansions for the game, no other gameplay content add-ons are planned unless you as a community come with something awesome,

Last edit: 07 Sep 2021 13:32 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike

More
07 Sep 2021 13:15 #326326 by ZeeAyKay
Regarding Eleven, for a game that seems made primarily as a solo game, it does seem a pretty wasteful and unnecessarily expensive to have all those deluxe bits for up to 4 players. From what I can tell it looks like there is almost no player interaction, and it doesn't even look like you can have your teams play each other at any point?

Outside of LCGs I don't know of many games that do this, but this seems like it would be a great case to have a "solo box" option, or have the base-game be solo or two-player only and then have a "multiplayer" expansion box.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, sornars

More
07 Sep 2021 13:28 #326327 by mezike
I imagine the interaction will be entirely around order of operation, who takes what first or is holding back because what is coming in the reserve looks better for them. The original was solo only so yeah, the multiplayer has been shoehorned into the design. Maybe people will start dumping their old copies cheaply in a few months time, I don’t think there are many of them out there though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
07 Sep 2021 13:47 - 07 Sep 2021 15:28 #326328 by Jackwraith
So, I'm a bit taken aback by two things:

1. No direct interaction at the table. You don't have the option to play your sides against each other, although someone from Portal chimed in on BGG that "that may change in the next 21 days", which sounds like another expansion despite

2. The 5 expansions they already have drive the price up to US$190, before shipping. That's pretty steep.

I'm already turned off by the idea of spending more money on games, in general. I just have too many that don't get played. Spending another couple hundred dollars on another new game...? Yeah. I'm starting to think I'm just ready to opt out of the whole scene.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2021 15:28 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, sornars

More
07 Sep 2021 14:32 #326329 by mezike
I don’t blame you, I’ve walked away far more often than not.

If it’s any consolation, the expansions look superfluous and the base game will inevitably end up at retail or secondary for less than the ticket price here. I still think you would like it but maybe best to wait for a cheap copy to pop up or TTS it.

I won’t follow my own good advice of course, but that’s only because this is a rare occasion where a game is pretty much exactly what I want to have access to. I’m expecting to almost exclusively play this particular game solo so I’m ambivalent about how good the multiplayer aspect is. I still don’t know exactly how this version will feel compared to the original either so my opinion may change after giving the demo a go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, sornars, BillyBobThwarton

More
08 Sep 2021 06:11 #326360 by mezike
Looks like Portal are listening to the 'cash grab' complaints as they have added an all-in bundle that is $40 cheaper than the ticket price. I don't see that changing opinions much as it's still an expensive proposition but as someone who was going to back anyway I do appreciate the saving.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
08 Sep 2021 09:36 #326361 by Jackwraith
I appreciate their response to the sticker shock and one of their people showing up in the threads to address that directly. They made a point about the amount of time, labor, and talent that goes into producing these things, which is beyond just the physical component cost of a "card game" and I'm totally onboard with that. The profit margin on games is still pretty thin. But I think the price on this one just pushed me past my limit. I was truly, genuinely excited for this and now I find myself kind of repelled by it and seriously looking at my shelves for the first time in a while. How many games can one person play in a lifetime? Think it might be time to call a halt to things and I don't even buy much anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, hotseatgames, BillyBobThwarton

More
08 Sep 2021 10:46 #326363 by Shellhead
I kickstarted my lawnmower last weekend. Due to the drought, I have only been mowing like once every three weeks, so I probably shouldn't be buying gas with 15% ethanol. But I did, and maybe I got some bad gas with some water in it, because my mower just wouldn't quite start, despite getting a full tune-up last spring. I put some fuel stabilizer in, but that didn't seem to help much. I got annoyed and kicked the mower a couple of times. Then I tried to start it again and it sounded really close. So I kicked it a couple more times and then got it to start. It sounded pretty strong for most of the hour, but as the tank neared empty the engine sputtered from time to time. This is my best kickstarter experience of 2021.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, dysjunct, Sagrilarus, Msample, birdman37, Gregarius, Nodens, DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook, n815e

More
08 Sep 2021 11:07 #326364 by mezike
"Get off my lawn"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, jason10mm

More
08 Sep 2021 11:11 #326365 by charlest

Jackwraith wrote: I appreciate their response to the sticker shock and one of their people showing up in the threads to address that directly. They made a point about the amount of time, labor, and talent that goes into producing these things, which is beyond just the physical component cost of a "card game" and I'm totally onboard with that. The profit margin on games is still pretty thin. But I think the price on this one just pushed me past my limit. I was truly, genuinely excited for this and now I find myself kind of repelled by it and seriously looking at my shelves for the first time in a while. How many games can one person play in a lifetime? Think it might be time to call a halt to things and I don't even buy much anymore.

I think all of that is fair and true concerning price and effort and game companies existing on slim margins.

I think the real problem with a crowdfunding campaign like this is the expansion bloat. By tossing a large swathe of optional buys it frontloads a huge cost on the game. It's terrible for consumers.

You're either paying a ton of money for a game you likely shouldn't be, or you're stuck feeling like a second class citizen buying just the base game and worrying if you ever will have the opportunity to buy the expansions at retail. It's a shitty, deflating feeling and it's easier sometimes to ignore the game and just move on to something else since the hobby is so rife with choice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, sornars, BillyBobThwarton, DarthJoJo, n815e, Kmann

More
08 Sep 2021 11:31 #326367 by hotseatgames
I think it just takes the fortitude to save vs. fomo. Anyone who has been around the block can discern if an expansion is going to be worthwhile, or half-baked. I just got the base game for the Witcher board game since it was clear that all of the expansion stuff was a mess. No regrets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Msample, Jackwraith, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds